The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nothing fancy, but this was the trail I was hiking last Thursday. Beautiful warm fall day with leaves carpeting the ground as far as the eye could see:

JZPLIgV.jpg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Morning guys,
    Some of you CZ folks and some others have shown interest in another 1911 class/get together. I am all for it but have been trying to think of what to cover.
    Since it is impossible to cover all aspects of the various fitment and tuning that can go into a 1911 in one day.
    I have come up with an idea that I want to get some feedback on.

My thoughts were to do complete disassembly and comparison between a production built basic gun and a hand fit custom gun to show some of the differences. possibly even a third mid level gun.

I see regular posts about "why should I spend X amount over this cheap pistol" or similar something to that effect and I thought this might give some insight.

Also simultaneously letting everyone disassemble a 1911 that they brought with them and go over basic function and tuning.

What do you guys think? have anything to add or subtract from this rough outline?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning guys,
    Some of you CZ folks and some others have shown interest in another 1911 class/get together. I am all for it but have been trying to think of what to cover.
    Since it is impossible to cover all aspects of the various fitment and tuning that can go into a 1911 in one day.

My thoughts were to do complete disassembly and comparison between a production built basic gun and a hand fit custom gun to show some of the differences. possibly even a third mid level gun.

I see regular posts about "why should I spend X amount over this cheap pistol" or similar something to that effect and I thought this might give some insight.

Also simultaneously letting everyone disassemble a 1911 that they brought with them and go over basic function and tuning.

What do you guys think? have anything to add or subtract from this rough outline?
    First, awesome of you to offer this. It sounds great to me. I'll volunteer to help with any setup needed before and any cleanup needed afterwards. I can also bring an 80 series gun if needed to help illustrate 70 vs 80 series guns.

I would also be interested in more advanced classes too. Maybe ones that cover advanced tuning and part replacement / fitting and maybe some basic machining methods. I think that could be beneficial to someone like myself, but also for people who might just want to see the process to get a better idea of what really goes into 1911 gunsmithing. Maybe if that 2011 Cheely frame is still around.....let's not get ahead of myself. :)

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Morning guys,

I am interested in attending and soaking up any knowledge you’re willing to share. If there is any consideration of doing a series of classes that build on themselves I’d be interested in that too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning guys,

I like that idea. Maybe a discussion around different types of sears as well, such as the true-radius sear vs. the standard profile sear. Use of some common tools that are handy to have might be good too. Stuff like the trigger bow anvil or types/sizes of stones to get for cleaning up various parts of a frame.

One area that I've struggled with in the past is link size and how the slide stop pin rides on the barrel lug. Or, while going over that, how to determine the contact points of the barrel and frame and to see if they are correct. For instance, early Remington R-1s had issues breaking barrel lugs because the lug was contacting the frame too low. A bowtie cut was the answer to that.

There's a lot of improvements that can be made to a low to mid-level production 1911 that generally come with the higher end guns that might be nice to identify. That would be over and above the normal fitment issues that impact the feel.

Overall though, it is a great idea for a class. I'd love to attend, but will volunteer to help in any way needed if possible.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Here’s a video I took thursday night; we had spent maybe a week putting about 50,000 bushels of corn, dried from 28% moisture to 17-18%, dumped at about 150 degrees, into this bin, we shut the drier down to do a clean out and turned on the fan and within minutes had this steam coming out. Steam came out most of the night but was done by morning. Corn inside the bin is now 55 degrees or so but hopefully still drying.

WOW .... very cool !

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Morning guys,

I really like your idea of comparing various tiers of guns. Would like to hear about aspects beyond fitting also, etc if there are other features that would generally jump a gun from one tier to another. That would be super helpful.

Also, specific things to look at to evaluate a used 1911, what's important, what's not, and what's a major cost or "not" generally fixable vs what is a minor fix or upgrade. What makes a good shooter out of the box, what to consider if someone is looking at a gun as a project gun, etc.

I'm interested.

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    First, awesome of you to offer this. It sounds great to me. I'll volunteer to help with any setup needed before and any cleanup needed afterwards. I can also bring an 80 series gun if needed to help illustrate 70 vs 80 series guns.

I would also be interested in more advanced classes too. Maybe ones that cover advanced tuning and part replacement / fitting and maybe some basic machining methods. I think that could be beneficial to someone like myself, but also for people who might just want to see the process to get a better idea of what really goes into 1911 gunsmithing. Maybe if that 2011 Cheely frame is still around.....let's not get ahead of myself. :)
    Tavis,
    I would welcome help. Also I do like the idea of showing 80 vs 70 series.
    The "advanced" courses are doable and I am sure would be interesting but I would have to give some thought to how I would want to go about that. There might be a fee.
    I hope the other frame is gone by then, or maybe buy it and hang on to it... just saying ;)

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I like that idea. Maybe a discussion around different types of sears as well, such as the true-radius sear vs. the standard profile sear. Use of some common tools that are handy to have might be good too. Stuff like the trigger bow anvil or types/sizes of stones to get for cleaning up various parts of a frame.

One area that I've struggled with in the past is link size and how the slide stop pin rides on the barrel lug. Or, while going over that, how to determine the contact points of the barrel and frame and to see if they are correct. For instance, early Remington R-1s had issues breaking barrel lugs because the lug was contacting the frame too low. A bowtie cut was the answer to that.

There's a lot of improvements that can be made to a low to mid-level production 1911 that generally come with the higher end guns that might be nice to identify. That would be over and above the normal fitment issues that impact the feel.

Overall though, it is a great idea for a class. I'd love to attend, but will volunteer to help in any way needed if possible.
    Most of what you are asking would be touched on, How deep would be determined by the amount of questions at the time

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I really like your idea of comparing various tiers of guns. Would like to hear about aspects beyond fitting also, etc if there are other features that would generally jump a gun from one tier to another. That would be super helpful.

Also, specific things to look at to evaluate a used 1911, what's important, what's not, and what's a major cost or "not" generally fixable vs what is a minor fix or upgrade. What makes a good shooter out of the box, what to consider if someone is looking at a gun as a project gun, etc.

I'm interested.
    I think most of that would be covered

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Morning everyone!

Morning guys,

I am so ignorant regarding 1911s don’t even know what I don’t know. Bought the one I have on the advice of CM, can shoot, field strip and clean it. Any and all knowledge I can glean is great!

Count me in as well if any help is needed.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The "advanced" courses are doable and I am sure would be interesting but I would have to give some thought to how I would want to go about that. There might be a fee.
    I think most here would agree that at least a nominal fee/donation is appropriate for even the ‘basic’ class. Your time is your $ and we respect that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom