The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Corn's limiting factor is really how muddy the field is and how bad you want to tear it up making tracks or ruts. rain doesn't really affect the grain. Snow on the corn leaves can plug and freeze in the separator of your combine so snow is a problem.

Aha .... I didn't know that. Thanks for the education, and info. Hopefully, you'll be able to stay on schedule, and finish up by 4-7 days before Thanksgiving !

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I see a lot of corn still in the field .... will this rain make it tough to bring it in ?
    They'll have to wait a bit for things to dry out but how soon they get back to it will depend some on the equipment they use, whether they have a dryer in the bin, and whether the fields are to wet to drive on.
    Historically speaking, according to the calendar you should still see a lot of corn out.

Soybeans are a lot more weather dependent to get harvested as the pods and grain readily soak up moisture, from a light dew to any rain, and have to be dry to be threshed. Most of the soybeans are already harvested, there will be windows to get what's left in, but if they're not in yet I would be worried about finding that window and making it happen.

Corn's limiting factor is really how muddy the field is and how bad you want to tear it up making tracks or ruts. rain doesn't really affect the grain. Snow on the corn leaves can plug and freeze in the separator of your combine so snow is a problem.

It feels like we are way ahead of the usual progress, the old goal is to maybe be done by thanksgiving but that has been moving up lately, we've been done 4-7 days before thanksgiving for the last few years. It would take a lot of bad weather to keep us from getting done by thanksgiving this year, and I think most are in the same position.

In this area, despite the dry weather the yields are good but the corn is very slow to dry down naturally, the dryers are working overtime and there are long lines at elevators and that will probably get worse.
    D-mans forecast ahead of me and with more current and specific info.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    They'll have to wait a bit for things to dry out but how soon they get back to it will depend some on the equipment they use, whether they have a dryer in the bin, and whether the fields are to wet to drive on.

D-mans forecast ahead of me and with more current and specific info.

DM and you know cool stuff ! :thumbsup:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Aha .... I didn't know that. Thanks for the education, and info. Hopefully, you'll be able to stay on schedule, and finish up by 4-7 days before Thanksgiving !
    Here’s a video I took thursday night; we had spent maybe a week putting about 50,000 bushels of corn, dried from 28% moisture to 17-18%, dumped at about 150 degrees, into this bin, we shut the drier down to do a clean out and turned on the fan and within minutes had this steam coming out. Steam came out most of the night but was done by morning. Corn inside the bin is now 55 degrees or so but hopefully still drying.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Here’s a video I took thursday night; we had spent maybe a week putting about 50,000 bushels of corn, dried from 28% moisture to 17-18%, dumped at about 150 degrees, into this bin, we shut the drier down to do a clean out and turned on the fan and without minutes had this steam coming out. Steam came out most of the night but was done by morning. Corn inside the bin is now 55 degrees or so but hopefully still drying.

It says the video is private so no joy. You can post it to imgur (account is free) then post the link here of yo do not want it public on yt

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It says the video is private so no joy. You can post it to imgur (account is free) then post the link here of yo do not want it public on yt
    Hopefully it’s fixed now?
    Went back and made it public and edited my post…
    Thanks for the info on how to keep it private I will do that.

How’s your nephew(?) getting along up north?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    How’s your nephew(?) getting along up north?
    Video works now!

My brother-in-law (an IT guy semi-retired) has been helping full time on a combine every day. When we talked to him Friday night, he said he was very sore from climbing down and back up the combine to pull rocks out. They also have 3-4 full time and a couple part time farm hands. They are getting it done but there is a lot of acreage. He has a few silos as well to fill.

1698637303957.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I take the back road to the cabin, the last 3 miles is one-lane gravel. It's fun, and scenic .... but you'd better hope that you don't have any oncoming traffic ! :cool:
    (cell phone pic, taken today)

i-8DLRsZd-XL.jpg
    Not as nice as your picture. I got this today

20231029_083651.jpg

Reece'sPieces

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2023
    Indy
    What a great day this is. I ran down to HHRP to run some rounds through 'Bill', a DW CCO and my P10C. I've been working on my grip and think that I have improved it a bit. I was managing recoil much better than normally today.
    Been working on my handgun grip as well in recent range trips. Life when changed when the push and pull technique was shown to me but I'm always surprised by how much you can still adjust it and get better results. Recently I've been giving a bit more attention to my left hand squeezing it's thumb and fingers to get a more locked in grip (right handed). I've seen some improvement in holding a good sight picture and recoil management.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another sleepless night.
    I decided to watch Return of Sabata Lee Van Cleef who IMO was much better than Yul.
    That weird handgun he used looks like a Derringer I've always wondered if it could actually shoot live ammunition. If so I'd like a replica :)
    Or was it a fake model gun?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom