• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Elizabeth Warren Says She’ll Abolish The Electoral College Before Her Second Term

Before or after she declares herself 'president for life'?
    This should be quite telling for people that don't live in urban population centers that they should'nt have equal representation of which the EC currently provides them and was designed for.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This should be quite telling for people that don't live in urban population centers that they should'nt have equal representation of which the EC currently provides them and was designed for.

IMO. It's kinda hard to argue against a presidency based on popular vote. Thought it's a moot point currently.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    IMO. It's kinda hard to argue against a presidency based on popular vote. Thought it's a moot point currently.

200.gif

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why currently? Are you a supporter of popular vote for elections?

No. My thoughts on the ability of the electorate are well documented. But that does not mean that I don't recognize, that as far as fairness and equality go, popular vote seems the obvious answer. At some point, I can see it being changed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "They" convinced people to require popular election of senators. That was a mistake that people have totally forgotten about.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    No. My thoughts on the ability of the electorate are well documented. But that does not mean that I don't recognize, that as far as fairness and equality go, popular vote seems the obvious answer. At some point, I can see it being changed.

I hope not. That’s how we end up with Salem witch trials. The minority should never be ruled by the majority.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hope not. That’s how we end up with Salem witch trials. The minority should never be ruled by the majority.

With the amount of power now resting with the presidency (and well before Trump), that is a sound belief. However, there was certainly a time when it should have been that way, with extra protections extended to the states. But that's from a state's rights perspective, and that idea jumped the shark a long time ago.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Fairness and equality are complicated.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fairness and equality are complicated.

No, they kinda aren't, at least not so far popular voting is concerned. In making a decision, one person, one vote... there's nothing more fair, nor more equal. Change my mind.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's a reasonable balance between federalism and central power. We've gone way too far towards the latter and far away from the former. States shouldn't have the power to tyrannize it's people. There needs to be reasonable regulation of commerce between states, the nations borders need protected, the right of US citizens need to be protected. But the federal government shouldn't have the power to assert the values of one sect over the other, population density or not. Each states decide its own values, within broad limits. That's not completely fair. There isn't a completely fair. But it's the fairest.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    No, they kinda aren't, at least not so far popular voting is concerned. In making a decision, one person, one vote... there's nothing more fair, nor more equal. Change my mind.

Can you explain the reasoning behind the Electoral College being established in the first place? If so, then you will have a starting point towards understanding.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The US is the most diverse nation on the planet. It's not fair to the rural cultures in Wyoming that California, just because of its sheer voting population, can assert its urban values. California should get to decide for itself what its values are. Even in California, it's not fair that the dense population centers should get to impose their urban values on the rural counties. For example: water rights. Rich lawns get watered. Farmers vie for every drop.

Ain't nothing fair. But freer is fairer. The founders had it right, that the fairest and freest system will have decentralized seats of power, closest to the people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom