• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Why is it assumed that the temperature today (we've only been keeping track since the mid 1800's) is "normal" and exactly the temperature it is supposed to be??
    So what was the temperature 1 million years ago? Hotter or cooler? Take a guess, because that's all you have.

There's probably some way to tell, but the supposition that the present climate is the 'right' climate for the Earth is simply unscientific anthrocentrism. Which seems to be the premise behind the global warming hysteria.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You know that you understand how something works when you can build a computer model of it, feed relevant parameters into it, and have it correctly predict some outcome.

So, I'm going to defend the local weather prognosticators a bit here. The short term weather models aren't perfect, but they're good enough to predict general localized weather events several days in advance. I do think the local TV weather personalities get their divining rods out and embellish their forecasts into more detail than they can accurately predict, because they all compete for your viewership. The down side of that is that we prepare for some huge snow storm, and then get rain instead. But usually someone got the snow. That they can even predict what they do get right tells me they know a good bit about what they're modeling.

Long term models are a different story. They don't try to predict specific weather in a specific local areas. They try to predict global weather patterns and climate changes. These models haven't had much better track record for predicting long term global stuff than if they'd have guessed. That clearly demonstrates they don't know enough about what they're modeling. They shouldn't get to influence political policies until they can tell us with acceptable accuracy, what the earth's temperature will be next year, next decade, etc., and what the impact of that will be.

Since they can't do that now, they should STFU about it until they can. But they won't because politics are entwined with the science of global weather in a way much more perverse than local weather people trying to give you a reason to watch them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know that you understand how something works when you can build a computer model of it, feed relevant parameters into it, and have it correctly predict some outcome.

So, I'm going to defend the local weather prognosticators a bit here. The short term weather models aren't perfect, but they're good enough to predict general localized weather events several days in advance. I do think the local TV weather personalities get their divining rods out and embellish their forecasts into more detail than they can accurately predict, because they all compete for your viewership. The down side of that is that we prepare for some huge snow storm, and then get rain instead. But usually someone got the snow. That they can even predict what they do get right tells me they know a good bit about what they're modeling.

Long term models are a different story. They don't try to predict specific weather in a specific local areas. They try to predict global weather patterns and climate changes. These models haven't had much better track record for predicting long term global stuff than if they'd have guessed. That clearly demonstrates they don't know enough about what they're modeling. They shouldn't get to influence political policies until they can tell us with acceptable accuracy, what the earth's temperature will be next year, next decade, etc., and what the impact of that will be.

Since they can't do that now, they should STFU about it until they can. But they won't because politics are entwined with the science of global weather in a way much more perverse than local weather people trying to give you a reason to watch them.

It is the embellishment of the weather and the Oh Boy tactics that upset me and so many others. The "Weather Team's" are a revenue stream and are treated as such.
    I look at the national weatehr and have friends at the tower......I get what the pilots get.....:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's probably some way to tell, but the supposition that the present climate is the 'right' climate for the Earth is simply unscientific anthrocentrism. Which seems to be the premise behind the global warming hysteria.
    It's a good point. WTF is "right" climate? Relative to what?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Want to keep the carbon footprint from growing? Have fewer kids. Your gas guzzling 66 Pontiac is nowhere near as damaging to the planet as one rugrat.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Maybe. I was mainly just making sure that you did realize that the people who provide you with your week-end forecast are not the same people who develop detailed global weather models.

So basically you continue to exercise your nitpicking technique. I used one wrong word that admittedly changes the meaning of the sentence. The whole of the post lent itself to my meaning.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Top Bottom