• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am very lucky...I run our church's food pantry and get to see this reaction from people year round. While many folks are blase about it some, especially those who come in for the first time or show up during the rest of the week looking for help truly appreciate the help we give. A couple weeks a man showed up, wanted to work but was having problems, the church members all kicked in with clothes for his kids, yard work he could do for money and food from the food pantry to get him through the week. I paid handsomely for the yard at my old house to be raked and he did the job that day far better than I would have. Last Sunday he picked up some winter coats and toys donated for his kids.

Some folks game the system but it is not up to us to judge who is worthy. But it does make me feel good to know how the little things are appreciated by those who receive them

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am very lucky...I run our church's food pantry and get to see this reaction from people year round. While many folks are blase about it some, especially those who come in for the first time or show up during the rest of the week looking for help truly appreciate the help we give. A couple weeks a man showed up, wanted to work but was having problems, the church members all kicked in with clothes for his kids, yard work he could do for money and food from the food pantry to get him through the week. I paid handsomely for the yard at my old house to be raked and he did the job that day far better than I would have. Last Sunday he picked up some winter coats and toys donated for his kids.

Some folks game the system but it is not up to us to judge who is worthy. But it does make me feel good to know how the little things are appreciated by those who receive them

It is not all that hard to spot the gamers.
    I have in my time spent hours and hours in the local food pantry's working on the HVAC and refr. systems. Some of that time was Pro-Bono. Some was not.
    I have seen so much in those places.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

I volunteered at a food pantry for many years, and I admire those who can do it week after week. I got burned out by those who game the system, but I always enjoyed the gratitude of those who truly needed it. I just don't have the patience for the greedy, so I donate what I can and let others sort it out.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Witnessing true gratitude is an amazing thing. And kinda addictive.

We "adopt" a family every year for Christmas and my otherwise selfish, bratty teenaged kids, and I say that with love;), really get into it.

Top Bottom