• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I am a novice but that Jim Higgenbothams name sounds familiar. Have I seen him on the History channel or the Military channel as a firearms historian and expert. Kinda stocky build.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is something that is often forgotten in discussions, but makes a HUGE impact in real world shootings:

"Some advocates of small to medium calibers usually opine that shot placement is far more important than any considerations of caliber or “power”. They are ALMOST right. The key to rapid incapacitation is, of course, what the bullet destroys. This is not exactly the same as “shot placement”. Once the bullet strikes the surface of a target “shot placement” has run its course, what the bullet actually destroys inside the body is now subject to terminal ballistic properties"

I have seen a butt shot be fatal because the .45 deflected up into the abdomen and caused rapid bleed out. I've also seen a .45 to the chest ride a rib around and go out the back without causing any significant damage.

Lighter/faster cartridges also begin to fragment sooner if they hit an intermediate barrier, slower/heavier cartridges resist fragmentation and tumble, retaining more penetration to a target on the other side.

Top Bottom