• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    The case for polygamy in the OT was that it was the beginning of civilization and there were not very many people around. It is eaiser to increase your population quickly when there are several females to every male since he can impregnate multiple women at the same time.

There were so few people that many of the OT heroes married their sisters (Abraham and Sara) or their first cousin (Jacob and Leah/Racheal).

Nowadays the world as a whole is boardering on overpopulation and threatening our natural resources in many places so it does not make as much sense-even though our primitive male brain would have us think otherwise. Anyone ever have a threesome fantasy? :naughty:

I don't see a problem with the poly lifestyle...if all can handle it. Two other women to help do house work, take care of the kids,garden, shop....would have sounded good a few years ago. Now, that it would not be all that big a deal, not that much house work to do anymore.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I'll take a polygamist who supports his family over a dead-beat, sperm-donor, child-support-scoff-law, who leaves abandoned infants in his wake, and a baby momma relying on state assistance. Any day.

But that's just me...

Half-purple.

Like the guy who bragged he had 22 kids and did not work and could not get a job.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've lived in countries were it was legal. In fact it was what they considered "traditional marriage". My marriage remained what it was, even though I could legally marry up to three more as long as none of them were sisters. Somehow what others were doing in their bedroom or on their marriage certificates failed to impact me in the slightest.

Yet, apparently we are morally superior because we believe in traditional marriage. Except, of course, we don't as a nation. High divorce rates, plenty of folks 'living in sin' to the point it doesn't even occasion comment any longer, the very concept of unwed teen mothers is no longer odd, etc. etc.

I wonder which does more damage to society on average, gays getting married, or children growing up with uninterested too-young mothers and absentee deadbeat fathers?

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Any guy that gets involved in polygamy is nuts IMHO. Sooner or later the women are going to go postal on him because of something that they can agree upon. Formula for disaster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Simple answer... get the government out of it completely. If someone wants to label themselves married... then go for it. If you want to marry a toaster... so be it.

Upon death, wills take care of assets... Medical insurances make their own policies... The government doesn't have an NECESSARY reason to be in marriage at all. They shouldn't define it, they shouldn't recognize it and damn sure shouldn't regulate it.

THERE IS NO SLIPPERY SLOPE

You are correct...marriage is actually a religious rite....what happened to separation of church and state??? Our government made it into a law. I know people who have lived together for decades and never married and I know people who have been married 9 times. The only person who made out on the marriages were the lawyers.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is nothing stopping you now from having multiple sex partners. Except finding enough women willing to share. Plus if one man has several women then there are many other men who could not find sex partners. That is one of the big problems in Islamic countries. A few men take most of the women.

Plus you have to be rich enough to support each women with her own house and pay for all of her kids. Then deal with all of the demands that they put on you. And that they are constantly competing for your attention, fighting among themselves. And the kids never have a real father.

You may not get "married" but you can form a legal arrangement that is just like marriage.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I honestly don't understand why we give a crap about what people do with their lives. Let them marry 2,3,4 women. Whatever floats their boats.

Except when the guy has all the women on welfare. Or you have to pay for their medical care.

And worst, lets say that the rich guys can corner the market on women. Want to be part of a bunch of guys who can not find a mate?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Antithesis dude, antithesis.

ANYway many people already practice marriage unregulated by the government, its called "shacking up."

Part of being unregulated is that it is not legally recognized, there are no tax breaks or incentives and no one to split your property up for you when you desolve the unofficial union by choice or death.

So I must ask...

1. Are tax breaks necessary? (which begs the question are taxes necessary, but that is another topic)
    2. Are there other ways of splitting your property? How do business partners do it?

If these are the only two reasons that government need to be in marriage... is it necessary?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Except when the guy has all the women on welfare. Or you have to pay for their medical care.

And worst, lets say that the rich guys can corner the market on women. Want to be part of a bunch of guys who can not find a mate?

Natural Selection

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    There is nothing stopping you now from having multiple sex partners. Except finding enough women willing to share. Plus if one man has several women then there are many other men who could not find sex partners. That is one of the big problems in Islamic countries. A few men take most of the women.

Plus you have to be rich enough to support each women with her own house and pay for all of her kids. Then deal with all of the demands that they put on you. And that they are constantly competing for your attention, fighting among themselves. And the kids never have a real father.

You may not get "married" but you can form a legal arrangement that is just like marriage.

That's a problem in the poly splinter communities in the US, too. Or so I've heard. A lot of the young men get expelled because there aren't enough women to go around, and the ones there are get married off to the old elders.

The young men get tossed out.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Like the guy who bragged he had 22 kids and did not work and could not get a job.

Hard to understand what self-respecting woman would have congress with him. Unless they're simply looking for a baby to get on the dole. Much more of this feral behavior and we'll have two species of humans in America. These people can talk and 'seem' to be like the rest of us in most ways, but maybe it's just very clever mimickry, like the mockingbird.

half-purple]

Those women probably wouldn't marry a poor slob anyway.

So the poor slobs better hope that lots of the surplus guys go for a gay marriage, and take themselves out of the pool.

Nature has a way of balancing these things out...
    ;)

BTW, several countries including Pakistan, due to female infanticide and selective abortion of girls, are facing pretty striking demographic imbalances. It will be interesting to see how they address this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom