• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Makes me wish it wasnt quite so nasty out so I could try to bag myself a monster.

C'mon, it's not all that bad out - it's 17 deg, just don't use CCI Mini-Mags at this temp unless they're the older ones without the cleaner burning primer. It's just not hot enough.

Josh <><

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    C'mon, it's not all that bad out - it's 17 deg, just don't use CCI Mini-Mags at this temp unless they're the older ones without the cleaner burning primer. It's just not hot enough.

Josh <><

Could you explain what you mean by this? I use Mini-mags & have never had any problems. Is it a new issue with them?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

All I know is that last year after I 'scoped my .22 Romanian trainer, I took it out to sight it in.

I've always used CCI Mini-Mags, and this time was no different. Went and bought some.

They began acting worse than Remington bulk. Unburned powder in the barrel, misfires, not enough pressure to seal the chamber - I caught quite a bit of powder in the face.

Tried a different lot number and got the same result.

Doing some research I found that they were using a new, less toxic primer compound which didn't burn as hot.

Contacted CCI, and I was asked to send the remainder of both lots back to them. Packed it up, took it to the local drop center - then found out that I had to ship ORM-D through the hub store in Marion.

I wasn't going to drive to Marion just for that, so I said screw it and switched brands.

To be fair, the temp was 17 degrees. Not many people shoot at that temp. However, I do, and I have absolutely no problem with my pet load, which just happens to be Winchester bulk now.

As well, I recently ran across an older box of CCI, the yellow box, not this new, clear box with the blue label. The stuff in the yellow box ran just fine.

Josh <><

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I've gotta say Josh I've seen some of your posts over on indianasportsman and your zeal for this small game hunting always impresses me. And your little Rom trainer, thats cool. Keep up the good work. You probably know more about .22's and the differences in some than any one I know.

Kingkarl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Against the grain, mostly
    Squirrel

Did you actually weigh/ and/or measure the length?
    We have some fat little buggers on our land out in Brazil, but I think it is largely due to the secluded area and lack of predators.
    What I mean is, closer to the city [Indy], where we live, cats are plenty and if the squirrels are stupid enough to try to rob our bird feeders, well, let's just say their diet may include a little lead which stunts their growth.
    Skinny critters close to the city, fat dudes in the sticks.
    Ummm... Yummy!

By the way, a kid out in Brazil usually hunts squirrels with a 12ga.
    I know there are almost no limits on waht you can hunt the rodents with; even a hatchet would do if you were really really fast, but a 12 Ga?
    He bags a bunch and they are not all torn up as you might expect!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yup, a lot of people like the shotgun, especially before the leaves fall.

I don't really weigh them. I do take pictures of them next to my rifle for a rough estimate later.

I know how heavy a 1911 is, and I just judge their weight by comparing it to a 1911. That one huge one I plugged - at the beginning of this thread - when I walked up on him he was still alive, trying to fight. A Hydra-Shok ended his life. If you look at the pic, you'll see a bullet hole. That sucker was so big that the bullet hole is not the .22 I initially it it with, but the hole made by the .45acp! :eek: ;) :D

Josh <><

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    holy sh%t!!! nice catch

Careful Buckhunter. If you're racing to 10....
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Top Bottom