• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    The Mormons or Church of Christ of Laturday Saints are a great resource for bulk foods. Also Shipshewana and Roan IN have bulk food Amish stoors that we have stalked up on food at. My wife is very thrify and gets great prices at these places. She started grinding wheat and baking all our bread last year.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    No I am not. I have a friend who is. We order through them. The lady that gets the food here they thought it was open to the public. I know they are not open daily. I did not know the public could not go. You might inquire at a local church. The ones around here will help people stock up.

The store in Roan IN is called Squirrel Creek. I am not sure if it is in Miami or Wabash county as it is in no mans land close to the line.

JL7072

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Squirrel Creek Bulk Foods & Cheese is located at 13653 N 500 E Roann, IN. (500E is Miami co) Phone: 574-893-1942. Cereals, Dressings, Dried Fruit, Fabrics & Sewing Notions

LOTS of good cheeses
    LOTS of bulk spices
    Has/can get bulk (50 lb bags) beans, lentils, rice, rolled oats etc.

Very nice people. They render their own lard, hunt & butcher deer too, so they know self reliance!!

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I hit the new Gordon Foods yesterday off 96th St just past Sams Club. It's basically a restaurant supply store with no membership. The store size is about that of an Aldi or something similar. A lot of the container sizes were larger than you can get at Costco and the prices were pretty darn good, excellent in some cases. The best part, you could by a gallon container of something at one price or buy a case of gallon containers at an even better price. It's definitely worth checking out. There were plenty of employees around to help also which was nice.

Salt 25 lbs $4.39 $.01 per oz
    Bulk Spices CHEAP
    Sugar 25lbs $18.29 $.73 per oz
    Syrup 1gal $6.99 $.05 per fl oz
    Rice 50 lbs $17.39 $.02 per oz
    Angel hair pasta 2.5 lbs $3.49 $.09 per oz
    Spaghetti pasta 5 lbs $4.49 $.06 per oz
    Thin spaghetti 20lbs $15.99 $.05 per oz
    Ragu Spaghetti Sauce Traditional 6lbs 11oz $6.99 $.07 per oz
    Powered Gravy mix 24oz $3.99 $.17 per oz
    Scalloped potatoes (dehydrated slices) 2.25 lbs $7.99 $.22 per oz

Like I said some things are not THAT great of a price but several are.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree GFS is a great place to stock up on some items.There is one south of Greenwood mall on the west side of 31 as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I agree GFS is a great place to stock up on some items.There is one south of Greenwood mall on the west side of 31 as well.
    I used to be a fan of GFS, but man they made me mad this weekend.

Last week I ordered a case of Bone-in pork butts over the phone for pickup when I went to visit my parents this weekend (no GFS near me). The girl even read the product description back to me, which was correct. When I got there (45 minute drive from my parents house) the product they had was completely different, and the manager acted like it wasn't his problem, and didn't even apologize, then promptly turned his back to me.

IMHO, I understand people make mistakes, but to not be apologetic about it, and then turn your back on the customer is unacceptable.

The prices at GFS aren't much better than Sams club, so I think I'll just go to Sams club from now on. I have one of those local to me.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Don't just look at the cost of the food. Look at the information and what you're eating. Aldi's is cheaper, but some of the food has high fat content, and lower quality overall. Nothing against Aldi, I buy food there too. Just pay attention to what you're getting, especially if you plan on eating it everyday (store what you eat, eat what you store). If you are rather sedentary, you might not want to be eating that chilli with 25% fat on a daily basis, even if it is cheap. Guess what I'm saying is, think about your nutrition somewhere in your equation(sp).

You bring up an interesting point, but it's more complicated than that, I think. I agree with eat what you store, but if the shtf, you actually want that higher fat / higher calories. That's the stuff that keeps you alive.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Don't just store a lot of stuff you haven't tried before either! FWIW, Jasmine rice is what you want to store! It will cost 2 or 3x as much as regular long grain, but the taste is amazingly better!

Another item I like is the GFS brand whole wheat pasta, delicious and cheap.

KarBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Anderson
    This might be old news to some, but Costco (online only) has emergency preparedness supplies. They sell bulk food with an approximate shelf life of 25 years. A one year supply for one person is 999.99 which also includes shipping and handling. I just recently found this information while browsing their site online so I haven't had the chance to break down the cost yet and determine if it's worth it or not. If anybody takes the time to do it, let me know.

Top Bottom