• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm starting to prep some larger quantity food stuffs. In the interest of my checking account, I've started shopping for the best prices. I've thought about joining Sam's or Costco but I'm not convinced that combined with the yearly membership I'd come out ahead on the relatively small quantities I'll be purchasing.

I'd like to start a thread tracking local as well as internet "bulk" food prices, sort of like the ammo thread. The internet foods would have to include shipping as well.

1/12/2010 at the Wal-Mart on 96th St I found the following prices:

Quaker Instant Grits 5 lbs $2.58 $.03 per oz
    Great Value Pancake Mix 32 oz $1.57 $.05 per oz
    Great Value Quick Oats 42 oz $2.68 $.06 per oz
    Great Value Sugar 25 lbs $11.68 $.03 per oz
    Great Value Dry Milk 64 oz $16.42 $.25 per oz
    Bisquick 96 oz $5.98 $.06 per oz
    Great Value LG Rice 20 lbs $11.48 $.04 per oz

(None of these include tax and the per oz price is rounded up to the nearest cent.)

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this and we can all benefit from the information.

Thanks

m2hoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Indy area
    Something to think about with Costco. The basic membership is $50. If you get the $100 executive membership you get 2% back on all your purchases. If you don't spend enough to earn $50 (the extra cost of the executive) they will give you the difference towards your next year's membership or give it back to you (I think). The way I kinda look at it is if you spend $5000 there in a year, your membership is basically paid for the next year. I don't think its going to be hard to spend that much annually on just groceries, but if you happen to get other things, electronics, furniture, ect, I'd say you have it made. Aside from the membership fee its a pretty good place to shop. They'll return almost anything anytime. Only recently have they put a 90 day limit on electronics, but when almost everybody else is at 14 days, thats pretty sweet.
    Prices between Sams and Costco are very close. Sometimes Costco is a few pennies cheaper, sometimes Sam's is.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I have a large family, we have shopped at Sams and Aldi, like every thing else it pays to shop around.

One place we shop at is GFS. Gordons Food Service. The store carries most supplies for the restraunt industry, in bulk sizes. We buy our #10 cans of sutff there, dry goods, as well as pastas.

The great thing about GFS is that they are open to the public, with no membership fee. We were there earlier this week and I saw a flier that a new store would be opening in Fishers on Masters Rd. in Febuary.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't just look at the cost of the food. Look at the information and what you're eating. Aldi's is cheaper, but some of the food has high fat content, and lower quality overall. Nothing against Aldi, I buy food there too. Just pay attention to what you're getting, especially if you plan on eating it everyday (store what you eat, eat what you store). If you are rather sedentary, you might not want to be eating that chilli with 25% fat on a daily basis, even if it is cheap. Guess what I'm saying is, think about your nutrition somewhere in your equation(sp).

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    That is very good advise. I've been doing a pretty good job of storing what we eat (although still need to do a bit more) and now I'm getting into more of the bulk foods.

The family doesn't know it yet but soon we will be eating more of that and less of our typical box/bag crap. hahahaha

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I did a bit of shopping around today. I checked out SAMs and saw a few good prices on beans and rice. Tampons were about half what they cost everywhere else. I decided not to give them my money however just on principal. It seems that membership is $40, that's no big deal, but what IS a big deal IMO, is that they will not sell you a membership if you refuse to allow them to put your drivers license number and birth date in their computer system. I can think of NO reason on earth that they need either piece of info on record and will not give it to them. Anyways, I found some good prices on some stuff we use and spent about $600 elsewhere. I bet if they knew what I planned to spend, they'd have overlooked the DL#:) I'm confident that I'm at a good solid 6+ months supply of food, more if we tighten our belts.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I hit Target today

Mahtma rice 10 lbs $9.64 $.06 per oz
    Market Pantry sugar 10 lbs $4.39 $.03 per oz
    Bisquick 40 oz $2.59 $.06 per oz
    Market Pantry pancake mix 32 oz $1.57 $.05 per oz
    Market Pantry Oats 42 oz $2.79 $.07 per oz

Target is worthless btw....well except for the soccer moms. :yesway::yesway:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you are ever down 67 there is a place near Freedom, IN called Freedom Country Store. It is nigh unbeatable on bulk food. Herbs, spices, beans, flour, pasta. It is run by Amish and they buy in what I can only imagine is tanker trucks full and repackage themselves.

Bulk Food, Including Meat and Cheese | Worthington, IN
    Thanks for this! That may come in handy in the future.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    My wife is in to bulk food storage and prepping. I am going to try to get her to respond to this thread. There are some online sources that are good for unprocessed products like grain. Another place to check out is the LDS Church food distribution. They sell all kinds of long term storage foods for emergency preparedness. Some the prices can be beat, but they're the best deal going on other things. I do not think you have to be a member to buy there.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I pulled the trigger on a Costco membership today and I have to say I think it is going to be with it from what I've found.

Quaker Oats 10 lbs $6.99 $.04 per oz
    Sugar 50 lbs $25.39 $.03 per oz
    Bisquick 6 lbs $4.99 $.05 per oz
    Krusteaz pancake mix 10 lbs $6.38 $.04 per oz
    Kraft Mac n Cheese 15 box pack $9.75 $.65 a box
    Kokuho rice 25 lbs $19.69 $.05 per oz
    Blue ribbon rice 50 lbs $14.98 $.02 per oz
    Green Giant Green Beans 12 14.9 oz can $7.99 $.05 per oz
    Green Giant Corn 12 11oz cans $7.99 $.06 per oz

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Aldi's is cheaper, but some of the food has high fat content,

Thats a good thing for SHTF

I have not been able to find beans at the sams in Fishers, which sams has the beans that you quoted. Cannot find them online at their site either.

They had about 10 100lb bags on East Washington last week, and about 100 of the 10lb bags

Top Bottom