The American Empire has already peaked and is on the downhill slide.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This will not be a popular topic. I am beginning to think that the "American Empire" is beginning it's long decent from it's peak in the 1980's. Only 30 years ago, we had a government and society that worked in partnership with other world leaders like Thatcher and John Paul II to free eastern Europe from Communism. Where are the leaders such as Reagan and Thatcher now? Looking ahead, I do not see a whole lot of hope in the future for the principles of freedom and the republic. What are your thoughts?

120316_reagan_thatcher_ap_328.jpg

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Reagan sucked he banned full auto weapons. He also changed this country from a industrial producer to a financer producer which is a false economy. Manipulating money does not get us to prosperity. But I would agree that the 80s was the best since I was born then LOL. Thatcher is also a banker goon. Real prosperity in a economy is producing good that do not create a trade deficit in other country's favor. Financial warfare against other nations is wrong and we should not be involved in sovereign nations doings.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I can agree on the decline, but pegging when is difficult. As I outlined elsewhere it is clear we reached our peak sometime post-WWII. I assert that the decline begin in 1967, when the Summer of Love took the hippie movement mainstream. Nothing like a cultural shift that embraced poor work ethic, the destruction of national identity, and the weakening of the nuclear family. Extend on into the 1970's. The Vietnam War's closure proved the United States was not invincible. The "stagflation" created a massive blow to our economy.

It's a progressive movement toward decline. What rock bottom looks like I do not know, but I am afraid I may find out.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think it depends upon how you look at things. I tend to agree with you that things look bleak. However, my daughter sees things the other way around. She views developments such as gay marriage as an indication that freedom is expanding and I think she has a point. Every generation seems to think that things are going downhill, so it may simply be a natural reaction to change rather than an accurate assessment.

Something else to consider; if you were transported back in time to the 70's, things like the Vietnam protests, Nixon's wage and price controls, Carter's double digit inflation/unemployment, would you accurately predict the Reagan revolution?

Just trying to say that the next great development for freedom might be just around the corner, but we are too focused on the wrong things to see it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Things go up and they go down, then back up again. From 68 into the 70s looked grim for the future, but then in the 80s things looked better. I can remember when president carter solemnly told the country the world would be out of oil by 2011. The bad weather in 77 and 78 made science talking heads discuss a new ice age. The iran hostage mess made the country's political leadership look inept on the world stage. Howard Ruff wrote a book about economic collapse. Things got better, I'm optimistic but still stay prepared for what I think are temporary tough times.:)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm not quite old enough to grasp what it was like "back in the day" but I haven't seen major improvements in my time and don't see any coming. I think I'm too young to form an opinion so I'll just listen to some of the old-timers.:oldwise:
    :)

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think coming out of ww2 it wasn't that there was anything spectacular about America it's just that our country was the only one absolutely devastated by the war. The Kraut scientists and talent we nabbed didn't hurt either.
    That being said I believe we're moving increasingly away from this narrow nationalism, people want to see man kind thrive more they care about arbitrary boarders.

[video=youtube;PLZGMcwi758]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZGMcwi758[/video]

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    people want to see man kind thrive more they care about arbitrary boarders.

I wanted the same thing when I was growing up in the 1970s. My father told me that kids were starving in India and would be happy to eat the Brussels sprouts and fried liver that were on my plate. I WANTED to send those poor kids my Brussels sprouts and fried liver! Let THOSE kids thrive, Dad! *lol*

I dunno. I remember the Nixon administration & watching the Watergate hearings on TV. And then we were stuck with Ford for a couple of years. And suffered through the Carter administration. (Gotta say that I admire Carter for his help in getting Sadat & Begin to the table, and the things he did after leaving the White House, building Habitat for Humanity homes, etc. Some of his other views, however ... UGGgghhh.)

Looking back, Reagan was the greatest POTUS of the past 50 years and should be among the top five of all time.

And dammit ... I voted for that little goober Perot in 1992 .... he was a nutter, but he NAILED it on at least one point when he talked about NAFTA: "You will hear the giant sucking sound". How many high paying, skilled labor jobs have left the U.S. in the past 25 years? What impact has that had on the nation?

You can't even figure out which one is the "American" car anymore ... the Subaru made in Lafayette, Indiana, or the Ford made in Mexico. As a Hoosier, does it bug you that you can't order a car with a "Muncie" transmission these days?

OK. Gonna step down from the soapbox now.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wanted the same thing when I was growing up in the 1970s. My father told me that kids were starving in India and would be happy to eat the Brussels sprouts and fried liver that were on my plate. I WANTED to send those poor kids my Brussels sprouts and fried liver! Let THOSE kids thrive, Dad! *lol*

I dunno. I remember the Nixon administration & watching the Watergate hearings on TV. And then we were stuck with Ford for a couple of years. And suffered through the Carter administration. (Gotta say that I admire Carter for his help in getting Sadat & Begin to the table, and the things he did after leaving the White House, building Habitat for Humanity homes, etc. Some of his other views, however ... UGGgghhh.)

Looking back, Reagan was the greatest POTUS of the past 50 years and should be among the top five of all time.

And dammit ... I voted for that little goober Perot in 1992 .... he was a nutter, but he NAILED it on at least one point when he talked about NAFTA: "You will hear the giant sucking sound". How many high paying, skilled labor jobs have left the U.S. in the past 25 years? What impact has that had on the nation?

You can't even figure out which one is the "American" car anymore ... the Subaru made in Lafayette, Indiana, or the Ford made in Mexico. As a Hoosier, does it bug you that you can't order a car with a "Muncie" transmission these days?

OK. Gonna step down from the soapbox now.

Not sure if srs, or don't know a whole lot about the Golden Elephant. Past 50 years HW Bush.

Last edited:

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I believe the more "progressive" and liberal our society becomes, the more weak and divided it is overall. With liberalism comes shame of country. I think the debt and entitlements will be our undoing. It's all a symptom of a narcissistic, selfish, and morally-lacking-secular society, in my view. Bold enemies will only exacerbate the financial mess, let alone our physical safety.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    We don't have "arbitrary borders." I care as much about my country's border as I do my house borders. It's not just an imaginary line.
    Borders are where freedom begins and ends.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I believe the more "progressive" and liberal our society becomes, the more weak and divided it is overall. With liberalism comes shame of country. I think the debt and entitlements will be our undoing. It's all a symptom of a narcissistic, selfish, and morally-lacking-secular society, in my view. Bold enemies will only exacerbate the financial mess, let alone our physical safety.

We have things we were ashamed of 100 years ago, I'm always curious what our grandkids will be ashamed of in 100 years from now.

Top Bottom