• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't have an XD and have never shot one but teaching women to shoot using the 1911 most have liked the recoil of the .45 ACP better. All, about 25, have like the .45 1911 over the 9mm 1911 or the 9mm Glock 19. They all said .45 was softer pushing. 9mm is cheaper to shoot than the .45 ACP but if you reload you can get your cost down for both to where either is shootable in high volume. If you can find both and shoot them, you can see which you like to shoot or shoot better. If there is a young lady going to shoot with you have her try also. You may end up with 2 guns then.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    seeing as the fbi and many militaries find the 9mm to be sufficient, and as it costs less is more available and you can put more in the mag, id take the 9mm

Protectorof5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks everyone for the input...it seems that 45 guys love 45's and 9mm guys love 9's...I have two buddies (one with 45 and the other with the 9). I was able to get both of them to meet me at the range for lunch and the verdict is in...i'm going with....drumroll please..........the 9mm. Funny enough, I shot the 45 really good with the extended magazine but didn't group very well with the standard mag. My buddy with the 9 had the Pearce grip extention on his mags and I was able to have some really tight groups. Since this is going to be my concealed carry weapon, I am going to get the 9mm and order the grip extensions. I've also got some Talon rubber grips on order and from what i've heard, that will help even more. I found a dealer here in town that sells out of his garage and has the 9mm on sale this week so it $60 cheaper than the range I just went to. Win-Win....thanks for all of the newbie welcomes!

stevep48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I bought the XDs 4.0 9mm last week but haven't shot it enough to offer my complete thoughts
    It was 18 out and windy, so a few mags was it.
    Friend has the XDs 3.3 45 and said noticeably less recoil
    I like the recoil with the lighter XDs 9, but find my 45 very managable
    BTW we both carry 1911's, we both wanted a bit easier CC in T-Shirt weather
    My 1911 CC's nicely under a jacket or even a sweatshirt (ya it prints a bit)

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have the xds. 45 and like it a lot. I would however say that if it was offered in 9 at the time I bought it I probably would have gone 9. I really like both rounds, but for a tiny gun I don't see as many advantages of the bigger bullet. That being said, I will still keep my XDS. Shoot both if you can! Good luck!

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    Howdy guys and gals..brand new to this forum. I'm going to buy an XDs in the coming days or weeks. This will be my CCW. I'd like to get your opinion. 45acp with a 5+1 or a 9mm with 7+1? I'm not scared of recoil and plan on putting in plenty of time at the range to get proficient with whichever one I choose. Cost and availability of ammo is a consideration. Thanks!
    I have both a 45 and a 9mm and I shoot and carry the 9 more due to its cheap ammo cost and higher capacity.

Protectorof5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Carmel
    You asked for an update so here it goes...I went with the 9mm and I'm very glad I did. 1) I got a great deal on it for it being brand new. 2) I've already put 300 rds through it and it shoots unbelievable (of course I will take some of the credit for that). I have been able to consistently group rapid fire from about 20 feet leaving a large hole in the target. That is what I was after. 3) the cost of ammo will allow me to go to the range more often which will put me in a better position to protect myself and my family (plus it is just damn fun!)

One thing I will mention to those considering the XDs (45 or 9mm). The guns are are very tight brand new. In order to release the slide I had to use both of my thumbs at first. Even the trigger seemed extra heavy despite having a clean break. I was concerned that this was due to the post recall fix. Once I put 100 rds through it, the slide has loosened up and the trigger is right where it needs to be for a CCW.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    I carry a .45 daily. With 185 or 200 HP carry ammo, recoil is not that much greater than 9mm. In a stress situation you may only have time to get 1 or 2 shots off. .45 is a proven man stopper and doesn't have to rely on expansion to create a large wound cavity. 9mm on the other hand must expand to match the terminal ballistics of .45. If you can shoot both calibers equally well, I would opt for .45. If you need more than five rounds, carry spare mags.

Top Bottom