• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protectorof5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Carmel
    Howdy guys and gals..brand new to this forum. I'm going to buy an XDs in the coming days or weeks. This will be my CCW. I'd like to get your opinion. 45acp with a 5+1 or a 9mm with 7+1? I'm not scared of recoil and plan on putting in plenty of time at the range to get proficient with whichever one I choose. Cost and availability of ammo is a consideration. Thanks!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Welcome from Columbus! I think either choice is a great one. I currently carry an XDS in 9mm, pre and post recall. Not one issue...almost 1000 rounds through it. I prefer it over the 45, merely because I am a capacity junky. 9mm is obviously cheaper to shoot, and is becoming more and more easily found in the big box businesses and local places. Either choice you make, I'm sure you'll be happy.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    9mm. You say recoil doesn't bother you, but shoot the two in rapid fire at a target 5 yards away. You'll see a drastic difference in grouping. I've had both.
    The .45 isn't punishing, but it does have a hell of a lot of recoil over the 9mm. A quality 9mm JHP (speer gold dot or remi golden saber +p are my fav's) will put a hurtin on a perp just as much as. .45acp rd.

Protectorof5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Carmel
    I've shot a lot of 9mm and 45's and am pretty darn good with both, however, those were on full size pistols. I think you all have convinced me it would be wise to go with the 9mm. Thanks all for your feedback!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We cannot let you off this easy, which pistol do you shoot better? .45acp is my favorite. My most common carry gun is only a five shot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've shot a lot of 9mm and 45's and am pretty darn good with both, however, those were on full size pistols. I think you all have convinced me it would be wise to go with the 9mm. Thanks all for your feedback!

There can be a big difference in recoil between a FS gun and a smaller gun.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I own the .45 XDs, my brother owns the 9mm. Side by side you can tell a difference in recoil, but in my opinion not enough to sway me off the .45. My vote goes to the .45 for EDC. Now for range time, the 9mm is the cheapest way to go. BTW, welcome:ingo:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife was dead set on the XDs 45. It has been a great pistol for her. If ammo cost/availability is something that you want to include in the consideration, I would go 9mm. Both are more or less equal in performance, assuming you would choose modern high quality SD ammo for carry use. Shot placement/quantity of rounds accurately placed will probably be a deciding factor in effectiveness, and 9mm would provide more opportunity to do both, considering capacity and recovery from recoil.

I am a big fan of large holes in things that try to harm me, but I wouldnt say that a 9mm wouldnt do the job. Honestly, I regularly carry a Hi-Power in 9mm when that mood hits me. I will admit, compared to my 1911s, I can put many more rounds into a slightly smaller group with the high power when doing rapid fire drills, but my accuracy with either is enough to make me comfortable that I will be able to do my part if need be.

If you can, shoot both, do the research for yourself on ammo price and availability, and make a decision based on what makes you most comfortable.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    5 + 1? Might as well get a wheel gun. 9mm. I wouldn't settle for 5 rounds. You could most likely rattle off the 9mm faster and more uncontrollably than the .45 anyway.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I got completely out of 9mm, so my XDs is the .45, and as far as I am concerned, I bought it because of ammo commonality with many of my other guns. My EDCs are either 10mm or .45 depending on various factors, and they don't make one in 10mm. I wanted something that had a lot of power and could be deeply concealed. Quite frankly for THAT mission, there are smaller 9mms so for THAT mission IMO the XDs is not a good choice. For a primary carry weapon where being able to deeply conceal is not the primary consideration then the XDs in 9mm is a fine choice.

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    I have both and that being said can shoot both very well. Yes the 45acp has more recoil than the 9mm but not that much, Try shooting the Liberty defensive rounds in 45acp they are 78 grains and 1900 feet a second. That is what I carry in mine, 5 round mag with pierce grip pinky extension and a extra 7 round mag on my side. Very lite and concealable, But you really need to try both out for your self because in the end it's Your Choice and Your Life.

Indy 45

Top Bottom