• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Last summer, we had a wind farm put up between Farmland and Modoc, just south of IN-1.
    It took the better part of a year to put up all these pinwheels, as I like to call them.
    IN-1 was blocked off for that time, starting where it meets US-36 at Modoc and ending 6.5 miles north of there.
    The reason for IN-1 being blocked off was so that the huge semi trailers could get the windmill pieces up and to where they would be assembled.
    Since the loads were so huge and heavy, the road would be torn up by this, and the wind farm company had agreed to completely repave IN-1 after they were finished with their windmill project as part of the deal.
    This was no mere resurfacing, but a total redo, with the pavement taken all the way up, the roadbed regraded and compacted, and totally new pavement put down.
    All the traffic was shunted onto adjacent roads during that time, all of which were in nowhere near as good condition as IN-1 had been.
    I know, because I had to drive County Road 900 West for that time every day getting to and from work, and that road is in pretty sorry shape.

I daresay that most of Randolph county was pretty excited to finally have IN-1 reopened so we could get the use of it back.
    They finally reopened it some time last winter, November, if I recollect correctly.
    It looked pretty good, too, a bit smoother than it had been before the project.
    Well, as winter progressed, it became clear that they did a poor job of it, with several nasty chuckholes appearing literally overnight.
    Before winter had even ended, the road had gone from poor to outright awful in multiple locations, so much so that I saw a deputy at a particularly nasty spot with his radio to tell the county to put up warning signs at the spot.
    There are road closed signs at each intersection of the road now, but no construction, and I drive carefully around them each day, wondering if and when anything will be done about this.
    There are at least two spots where it's flat out impossible to drive above 5 mph without causing catastrophic tire and suspension damage and probably a terrible wreck; and even then, I get bounced all over the place while creeping over those two spots.
    There are at least a dozen to a score of other chuckholes that at the least would do the same to a person who was unaware that they were there.
    It's basically a slalom course now.
    I decided to take photos of several (but nowhere near all) of the worst spots on the road, and I've even indicated how far up the road each is going north, using US-36 at Modoc as the starting point.
    This may sound boring to some folks, but I think it would be good to know for anyone having a wind farm contemplated in your area.
    If only we had known how this would go down...

Here's a link to a Muncie Star Press article about this exact wind farm - Wind farm blows into Randolph County

Okay, here are the photos I took, indicating how far north of US-36 at Modoc each is and some description about each.

This one is really nasty, but avoidable with care, at 0.4 miles north of Modoc.

17514207699_9d6f8e167a_k.jpg

This one is also avoidable, but even nastier. 1.1 miles north of Modoc.
    17698007842_764453b296_k.jpg

No chuckhole here, but this standing water was never here before, and now it's there all the time, always completely covering the eastbound lane of the road now. They clearly put in no drainage or culvert of any sort. 4.6 miles north of Modoc.
    17700766461_bdfc2aa76a_k.jpg

The following three photos are the part where the deputy was with his radio to have warning signs put up. It stretches all the way across the road at a small bridge, making it completely unavoidable and impossible to cross at more than a creep, and even then, it's extremely rough, and it will definitely cause major damage and an accident at normal road speeds. This is 4.8 miles north of Modoc.
    17512995840_710f5305d8_k.jpg

17080201033_248cabed47_k.jpg

17080191063_c52b2c6764_k.jpg

Just a bit north of the last spot, but a nasty strip along the shoulder, this time at 4.9 miles north of Modoc.
    17080149613_a7b53b8942_k.jpg

Two very similar chuckholes only 1/10 mile apart, starting 5.8 miles north of Modoc.
    17697977882_a58989addf_k.jpg

17697964962_f8c3b252fb_k.jpg

Here is the northernmost chuckhole, and it's a doozy, totally impossible to avoid and the kind that will do major damage if traveled at normal speed. I took two photos of it, the first approaching from the north of the warning signs that mark its location, and the second approaching from the south of it.
    17078042784_cf836aa5bb_k.jpg

17077937534_1095ffa1f6_k.jpg

This final photo is of the stretch of the same road, immediately north of where they completely ripped up the road and redid it, 7.0 miles north of Modoc. Note how nice the surface looks, even though I don't believe it had been resurfaced for at least a decade, maybe longer.
    17674108576_5a791f28b5_k.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Strange, you would think that with all the high tech and massive government subsidies these people could get fixing a road done correctly.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Every time I see these things, I can only dream of about 50 A-10 Warthogs coming in to do the needful.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sorry, folks.
    It was really tough pasting the Flickr links to the photos...much tougher than expected.:wwub:
    They're all there now.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Had to google to see where Modoc is. Never been there, but I did move a lot of machinery in and out of the wind mill sites around Boswell. I never moved anything real heavy, 120,000lb is as heavy as I get but even the county roads were holding up there iirc. At any rate, I would say that the company paying for the road, got the cheapest outfit to do it. Saw the same thing on the haul road coming out of the mine (Peabody, Knox pit) south of Bicknel. You get what you pay for.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Wow. Did they use it for construction traffic again after the redo?

I used to travel that area, not since the sillyness though. I don't believe anything took place after the redo.

The other wonderful part of this is not know to most. The pinwheels now extend past Winchester, down south around Lynn and are stretching from Lynn (Hwy 27 & 36) to the East toward Ohio, which is where I'm at. From what I've found out from others that have dealt with this wind company only 2 pinwheels are dedicated for energy for the county. The rest is going to power parts of Florida. Long term lease at around 10k per year each.

But the important thing is Winchester now has a new sign and fancier overpass landscaping. We'll now be getting wider lanes down from the hospital to the stoplight at 27. A sidewalk that goes to the wal-marx. Not sure what it's costing the city/county but I know that it's costing my father about 15 yards of his front yard and a nice shade tree. They were given the option of taking what the city offered in payment for the land or they would be imminent domained and the land stolen with no compensation. Everyone along that stretch got that. I'm so glad I don't live it town.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I used to travel that area, not since the sillyness though. I don't believe anything took place after the redo.

The other wonderful part of this is not know to most. The pinwheels now extend past Winchester, down south around Lynn and are stretching from Lynn (Hwy 27 & 36) to the East toward Ohio, which is where I'm at. From what I've found out from others that have dealt with this wind company only 2 pinwheels are dedicated for energy for the county. The rest is going to power parts of Florida. Long term lease at around 10k per year each.

But the important thing is Winchester now has a new sign and fancier overpass landscaping. We'll now be getting wider lanes down from the hospital to the stoplight at 27. A sidewalk that goes to the wal-marx. Not sure what it's costing the city/county but I know that it's costing my father about 15 yards of his front yard and a nice shade tree. They were given the option of taking what the city offered in payment for the land or they would be imminent domained and the land stolen with no compensation. Everyone along that stretch got that. I'm so glad I don't live it town.

I knew from your earlier posts that you're from my area.
    I've been told that these pinwheels also require quite a bit of maintenance that's hard to conduct, and they also need a special oil or they'll literally go up in flames!

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    They have a massive gear box in them that takes the 11 rpm of the blades up to around 800 rpm for the generator. The shaft that holds the hub and the blades is around 36" in dia. They work on them at GE in Evansville. Somewhere I have a pic of my daughter standing by one of them.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I knew from your earlier posts that you're from my area.
    I've been told that these pinwheels also require quite a bit of maintenance that's hard to conduct, and they also need a special oil or they'll literally go up in flames!

Not to mention they are a huge eyesore that will be here forever now. SWMBO and I talked it over last year about what we would do if we were approached about one. They would not like the terms we would want to have one on our land. Aside from the $$ we would want to be hooked up to it and have free electricity for everything on our farm for as long as the contract was in effect.

Our area and big business is always a PITA. We've tried for the last 2 decades to get a damn cell tower closer. Every farmer around has contacted all the players and gotten the same answer, not profitable enough. There is a tower in every direction but they are all at least 7 miles away and since Ohio is so close we get short changed because we get the signal from the back of directional towers. Something to do with taxes and state lines I was told. I've personally told Verizon and AT&T that they could even put a tower up rent free on our land with a permanent easement for access if they would just do it. The guy from Verizon told me that even if they didn't pay me a penny it would not be profitable to put the tower up even if every man, woman, child and pet had a Verizon phone. This was 15 years ago. We still have no tower close enough. I have a blue-tooth headset and a shelf above the front door. When I need to use the phone I go outside and get 2 bars or put it on the shelf 7 feet in the air beside an outside wall and get 1 bar. Magicjack is our friend.

As much as I hate the sight of the pinwheels we may do it if approached though. We are surrounded by other farms and if we don't then someone else nearby would. At least if it was on our land we would get the $$ and MAYBE have a bit of say in where it was located (as far from the house as possible). If one of the other owners of land does it then it could end up across the road 75 yards from our driveway. The farm has been in her family for several generations but if one of those POS shows up in our front yard then that would be it. She would sell all of it and be heartbroken for the rest of her life.

Right now they are about 5 miles away from our area but from what I've been told they want to expand farther east Since we are 2 miles away from Ohio and close to the highest elevation in the state I expect them to show up closer.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good point. Ours is bad enough...then this week they dug it up in spots to put new culverts in. That did not help.

Driving home yesterday I noted they made it even better, digging up a culvert and filling it in with gravel.

This road has not been paved since 1989 and is more patches than original. And when they put in the new superspan bridge to replace the covered bridge a few years ago they not only tore up the road further bringing overloaded extra long semis in for the bridge beams, the road now allows semis to get between 450 and 50 more readily so we get 3-4 of those a day and way more during harvest, which is fun to meet on a narrow county road, not to mention that you can watch the roadbed disintegrate under the tires.

I wouldn't really complain except that the county commissioners have been saying for years that this road is the worst road in the county and the highest priority for repavement, and yet, somehow, since no one important lives on it or travels it daily, it never gets done.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I usually just go out and give the truck drivers a hard look when they start tearing up my local roads. Problem solved.

Top Bottom