• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Recoil with the full size SR is pretty fierce with full power 454 loads. I have had good results with shooting strong 45lc handloads in it though. I think I would do the same if I owned a short SR. 454 brass and ammo are pretty pricy as well.:)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Another advantage, especially if you're a handloader: Can shoot .45 Schofield, too.

Bump up the caliber to .460 and get .454, .45 Colt, and .45 Schofield in one package.

-J-

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    uh, have you ever shot one or even held one?

Not my idea of a pocket gun, by a LONG shot.

It is HUYUGE. in a cool way, but not in a pocket way. or even CCW.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    No way I'd use .454 for CC/SD. Pitfalls? It's HEAVY, It's got twice the recoil of a ,44 Magnum, It's LOUD.

.45 Colt is really pushing the limits. The standard .45 Colt load will go through a deer lengthwise.

Of all my handguns (not counting .22LR), the .454 or .45 Colt would be last on the list for CC.

IMO, deadly force is deadly force. YMMV.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    So, what would be the pitfalls of owning the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan which is chambered in .454 Casull? Would it not make a sweet pocket/conceal carry weapon?

Also, if ever used in self defense, would the prosecution state that it was unnecessary force?

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan Double-Action Revolver Models

:noway: Think "PASS THROUGH" ,,,,,, "WAY THROUGH!!!!", as in anything behind your target for at least 50 yds could also recieve a fatal wound. :twocents:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    No way I'd use .454 for CC/SD. Pitfalls? It's HEAVY, It's got twice the recoil of a ,44 Magnum, It's LOUD.

.45 Colt is really pushing the limits. The standard .45 Colt load will go through a deer lengthwise.

Of all my handguns (not counting .22LR), the .454 or .45 Colt would be last on the list for CC.

IMO, deadly force is deadly force. YMMV.

I agree with what you've written except the underlined. A standard 45 Colt will not pass through a deer length wise. My son shot a deer at 20 yards in its left side, the bullet did not pass through right side but was lodged under the skin. I have that bullet on the top of one of my gun cabinets as a memento. Don't get me wrong, the 45 Colt is an excellent deer cartridge in this state and that deer took three steps and fell dead, but a standard 45 load won't go through a deer.

Best regards,

Terry

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Everyone is right on with the .454. Think serious recoil (which I love), a deafening roar especially out of a short barrel, blinding muzzle flash out of a short barrel in a night shooting scenario, and serious overpenetration.

Top Bottom