The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who's party is the Republican party anyway?

Is it Trumps' party?

Is it McConnells' party?

Or is it Bannons' party?

The people's party...The first time in a while....

LOL

No that there was funny.

Actually Indiucky is mostly accurate. It's not really anyone's party. It's not all people's party, but it is many people's party. It's certainly not Trump's party. It's not McConnell's party. It's not Bannon's party. To say the party solely belongs to any one of those entities makes a monolith of something much more diverse.

Disproportionately affects those with lower income that must spend most of their income to survive. They would be taxed on almost 100% of their total worth, while the rich can save most of their money and be taxed at a relatively extremely low rate.

It is a regressive tax, by definition. Saying that it is not, does not make it change to some other form of taxation.

Ultimately, regressive taxation results in redistribution of wealth. It just happens to be the one you prefer.

I'm not a proponent of sales tax--I'm more of a proponent of a "low" flat rate mandatory income tax with no deductions, with the option of a volulntary put-your-own-money-where-your-virtue-signaling-mouth-is tax. You want to fund social programs with taxpayer funds? You write the check. But anyway...

WRT consumption tax, if the sales tax has some mechanism whereby lower income people pay progressively less sales tax (prebates or whatever), then it's not a regressive tax.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Does paul manafort ring a bell?

Here is a link from one of your trusted news sources......

US government wiretapped former Trump campaign chairman - CNNPolitics

You really think that obama FISA warrants were restricted to this guy? LOL

Oh, you mean the court ordered wiretap which required a judge to approve which was ordered on Manafort because of suspicious activity which just happened to catch Manafort speaking to his boss. That same Manafort who spoke to the authorities and the very next day received a visit from the FBI?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh, you mean the court ordered wiretap which required a judge to approve which was ordered on Manafort because of suspicious activity which just happened to catch Manafort speaking to his boss. That same Manafort who spoke to the authorities and the very next day received a visit from the FBI?

Yes, so you realize it DID happen and Trump didn't make it up right?

Now, do you HONESTLY believe that no other single person was looked at?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Yes, so you realize it DID happen and Trump didn't make it up right?

Now, do you HONESTLY believe that no other single person was looked at?

So do you believe Ted Cruz’s father was involved in the conspiracy to kill Kennedy? I mean Trump said that too. Besides I guess today is the day we should be able to find out.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Lol

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I mean Trump said that too.

So was a Trump campaign member investigated or not?

So do you believe Ted Cruz’s father was involved in the conspiracy to kill Kennedy? I mean Trump said that too. Besides I guess today is the day we should be able to find out.

No. Of course not.

I'm still having trouble figuring out Ted's concession speech though...... you care to give it a try?

5accc8abf1ed06a5968fbf1155f94285.jpg

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    No. Of course not.

I'm still having trouble figuring out Ted concession speech though...... you care to give it a try?

5accc8abf1ed06a5968fbf1155f94285.jpg

In a way Ted scares me even more than Trump. There really is something scary about the whole holier than thou type of people.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In a way Ted scares me even more than Trump. There really is something scary about the whole holier than though type of people.

Ted has a smarmy way about him combined with a creepy sort of pragmatic self-motivation. But I'd take him over Trump.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Ted has a smarmy way about him combined with a creepy sort of pragmatic self-motivation. But I'd take him over Trump.

Part Jimmy Swaggart, part I know how everybody else should live there life. No, I think both on the surface but even more important down deep I think he’s one sorry individual.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    [video=youtube;2r3Xs9sBEVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r3Xs9sBEVg[/video]

How appropriate. You do know Trump Trumpted the FACT that this publication generally gets things right when others don’t? I think it’s so admirable that our President gets his alien updates daily from one of the best in the business. LOL

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Define "it"

sales tax tax is the ONLY tax proposal that completely eliminates federal taxation on poverty level income. They don't even pay SS/Medicare. And then if they buy used items those are 23% cheaper than they were before and they keep 100% of their paycheck. Please be factual.

read the FairTax book

You are choosing to redefine a basic term from economics. That's called "spin" bro. And disinformation.

If you make exceptions for a certain type of purchase or set a floor level below which that tax will not be applied, it is not regressive within that bracket or for those items. However, all items not excluded and taxed at the same for all purchasers are regressive taxes. It is the definition of the term.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You are choosing to redefine a basic term from economics. That's called "spin" bro. And disinformation.

If you make exceptions for a certain type of purchase or set a floor level below which that tax will not be applied, it is not regressive within that bracket or for those items. However, all items not excluded and taxed at the same for all purchasers are regressive taxes. It is the definition of the term.

Never took an Econ class. I thought you meant it affected the poor more. Here's the definition I found:

A regressive tax is a tax imposed in such a manner that the tax rate decreases as the amount subject to taxation increases.

the sales tax is identical on ALL new items purchased. Even the poor pay the tax on food. But everyone gets a prebate of that tax money spent. The tax paid doesn't change based on anything related to price. So where is the spin? :dunno:

A $500,000 used car would have zero tax on it. A $10,000 new one would. A $500,000 new car would Have the tax, a $10,000 used one would not. Cost of an item has nothing to do with the tax rate on it. How does this make it regressive? :dunno:

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Never took an Econ class. I thought you meant it affected the poor more. Here's the definition I found:

the sales tax is identical on ALL new items purchased. Even the poor pay the tax on food. But everyone gets a prebate of that tax money spent. The tax paid doesn't change based on anything related to price. So where is the spin? :dunno:

A $500,000 used car would have zero tax on it. A $10,000 new one would. A $500,000 new car would Have the tax, a $10,000 used one would not. Cost of an item has nothing to do with the tax rate on it. How does this make it regressive? :dunno:

Look up the broader definition. Here is the first highlighted section from Google:

Examples of regressive taxes include sales taxes, user fees and, arguably, property taxes.

I have to run....will write more later today.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It seems as if you're the one spinning here. The sales tax is the same for everyone. Sure, if you make $1,000,000 and your 23% sales tax on a donut takes a smaller percentage of your total income than a person making $5,000 and buying a donut. This is your argument as to why it's regressive, right?

my argument is that higher earners spend more money, duh. As such they will pay much more in sales tax than lower income people. Duh. So if you want to talk percentages, it's a wash. But really it's better than a wash because now the povert level folks will pay ZERO tax, not even SS or Medicare.

The people that fight the sales tax love having government control of the citizens. The income tax allows credits and deductions and all kinds of special payoffs to industry. The sales tax would eliminate a massive percentage of lobbying and crony capitalism.

you can argue the regressive nature of the sales tax on a donut and ignore the sales tax on a $200k Range Rover bought new buy the high income earner compared to the zero tax on a $15,000 used car by a lower income earner. This is dollars and donuts.

It's called the "fair tax" because that's what the focus groups referred to it as when presented with various taxation models. The serfs like it, even if it taxes their donut. The politicians hate it because it strips them of power.

do you believe it's unfair to the poor or are you just making a word game argument?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom