• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    [...]FYI - I have a single shot 1911 in .35 Remington and it is brutal with factory ammo. I'm working towards a lighter load, but it will probably just end up duplicating .357 Maximum performance :ugh:

I'm assuming that's the Dominator, right?
    I remember that Pachmayr used to sell kits under that name that replaced the slide on 1911 chambered in .308 Winchester and a couple of other calibers I can't remember.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm assuming that's the Dominator, right?
    I remember that Pachmayr used to sell kits under that name that replaced the slide on 1911 chambered in .308 Winchester and a couple of other calibers I can't remember.

Yes, you are correct. They were made in a bunch of calibers, but the ones I can verify are .35 Remington, .308 Win., 7mm-08, 7mm TCU, 7mm Bench Rest, .223 Rem., .22 Hornet, .44 Magnum, and .357 Maximum. There may be other calibers. Everyone - I'm always interested in learning more about these unique critters, so please let me know what info you have. :hijack:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Finally, a gun that makes the Judge look like it almost​ makes sense.

1.) Think of the old Howdah double barrel pistols that Tiger hunters used to carry as back-ups in India, and then think about where these pistols are being made today(Thailand).
    2.) 12ga shotgun shells are typically the easiest ammunition to obtain in a great many countries because of their "sporting" reputation in the eyes of even the most restrictive of foreign governments.
    3.) 12ga operates at low chamber pressures, ideal for homebuilt firearms.

Of my three points, two and three are probably the most responsible for the choice of caliber.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense at all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to move to Thailand, but I'll reserve endorsement until I see someone use it for some practical purpose.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to move to Thailand, but I'll reserve endorsement until I see someone use it for some practical purpose.

Fair enough. I know some people feel they need to have a practical purpose for every gun they own and I'm certainly not going to belittle that. As for me, I own a great many firearms for historical interest, mechanical interest, or the plain fun of blasting the living crap out of random targets. I don't know if any of those meet the definition of a "practical purpose," but they make me happy and that is reason enough.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thailand? Thais are a very slight people, i would love to see the Thai guy who could handle that. The biggest Thai guy ever is like what, 5'8, 160? Lol

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Fair enough. I know some people feel they need to have a practical purpose for every gun they own and I'm certainly not going to belittle that. As for me, I own a great many firearms for historical interest, mechanical interest, or the plain fun of blasting the living crap out of random targets. I don't know if any of those meet the definition of a "practical purpose," but they make me happy and that is reason enough.

As always, to each their own.

For me, "practical purpose" includes (but is not limited to) just shooting for fun. That gun is for looking at and not firing, which may be fine for some folks, but doesn't make sense to me.

BTW- low pressure, relatively speaking, yes, but there's no getting around the physics that a standard low-brass target load is 1 1/8 oz of lead moving at 1200 fps, thats 492 grains at 1200 fps for around 1500 ft/lbs. of muzzle energy, with the attendant recoil... a 440 gr .500 S&W bullet moving at 1250 fps recoils about as much.

If I was concerned about dangerous game, which a Howdah pistol was meant for (double barrel, because betting you life on a single shot is....foolhardy), then what are we talking about...what, slugs? So now we're talking about 2300 ft/lbs of muzzle energy or more, 00 buck, 1900 ft/lbs on up. At 1900 ft/lbs, we are looking at the equivalent to a .500 Smith & Wesson pushing a 500 gr bullet to over 1300 fps......which is a pretty hot load......and ouch.

All this is a 1911 form factor. To each their own, but again, that thing is clearly made to be looked at.

No thanks. If I need a single shot 12ga for something, there's a whole lot of decent long guns out there.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Seriously??? You know you have one of those around the shop somewhere. Now I need to find another 1911 frame and a 12 ga. single shot for your next "project".

Top Bottom