• ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Grandpa passed down another gun to me today! (yesterday now) :rockwoot:

He passed down his 1971 Marlin Glenfield Model 25 bolt-action .22 that has been rarely fired. Not fancy or pricey, but a great shooter.

Story is: A few years ago we went to the range and he brought this same gun without the magazine, so we had to single shot it. He could not find the mag so I bought him one at the 1500, and he still didn't shoot it. Finally today he brought the gun with him again and we shot it with the new magazine. It shot wonderfully, but kept jamming and shooting flyers on him, but not with me. We figured out that my grandfather was having trouble working the tiny action and seeing the low sights. Basically the gun was "too small" for him.

He said, "That's a great shooting gun, but it's too small for me, you can have it."

Here it is with the SKS he passed down last month on my new gun cleaning station...

dscn4518c.jpg

Last edited:

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Thats cool, haveing a gun passed down from a grandfather makes it priceless.
    Someday maybe you can pass it on to your son or grandson!

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Agreed. Heirloom guns don't have to be worth thousands. I'll be getting a couple of grandpa's guns one day and will cherish them above many that are much more expensive.

Just wish they hadn't all gone down in the canoe 2 years ago.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My gandfather passed away several years ago. My uncle has all his guns. I'd give anything to have one of them. I don't even know what he had... Just to have something of his would be really awesome.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have one of those also-first gun my wife and kids learned to shoot with-still my fave squirrel gun,dime sized groups w/ Rem.target ammo @50yds. My married daughter wants it, so does the missus-so, I can give it a good home if you ever need some room in the safe!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My mom's family gave me my grandfather's Marlin Model 25 when he passed. I still have it. Since my mom passed away, it means even more to me. I will be shooting that rifle at Appleseed.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    My Dad has a double-barreled shotgun... with Damascus barrels... that belonged to my grandfather. I can't remember what brand it is, but I hope that it makes its way into my hands someday. I wouldn't ever think of selling it, because it has such a sentimental value. It's something I'd want to pass on to my son.

Good for both of you.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Funny, I was just thinking about this a little bit today when I was daydreaming about the guns that I want to own one day.

My dad will heirloom a couple of guns my way one day, but my son/grandson is likely gonna get the MOTHERLOAD from me....

(he doesn't exist yet... but what lucky little bastard)

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    That's pretty cool. I have my great-grandfathers 12 ga. I have no idea what it is though... it is a single shot with a 36" barrel and the only markings say "Long Tom" on the receiver. I also bought a Red Label with the money my grandma left me when she passed away (that one is going to stay in the family for a long time.)

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    My cousin got all of my grandfather's guns. Mostly shotguns and such, but there was also a Rock Island '03 that had been his when he was a reservist.

But really.... can't begrudge him having them. He did a LOT to look after both of the grandparents.

Top Bottom