• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Everybody has different tastes in firearms, just like anything else. I enjoy shooting older guns, some enjoy shooting newer guns. I admit to being lost sometimes when people are discussing the finer points of very recent manufactured firearms, but I can contribute when the discussion moves to stuff over 100 years old.:)

merclean.jpg

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The tone on here is much more mild than what I've encountered on other forums. It's also much more mellow than what it was 10 years ago when I joined.

It also feels to me like there's more political and current events talk now and less straight gun talk than there used to be. I think that's just the result of the world we're in. People are concerned with the state of the nation and rightfully so.

I still like it here. I don't think anyone is overly mean.
    Very much in agreement with this.

It does seem like the gun sections of the forums I frequent have slowed down quite a bit. I don't mind the other stuff, and while I likely agree with most here politically, I'm just not into spending a bunch of time discussing that depressing topic. I'm here to talk guns and the occasional outdoorsy topics, learn stuff, and hopefully share a little knowledge. If I've contradicted or confronted anybody, I hope it's been received in the spirit of learning and betterment of the community, as that is always my intent.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    We, all of us, need every 2A supporter we can get. Please let’s not chase them off by telling them what they are doing isn’t good enough. Let’s support them and especially support them in teaching there children, grandchildren, neighbors, and non gun owning friends.
    @Mij

You are spot on. My default actions are, I hope, always to educate and be educated. There is nothing more important to the Nation and the preservation of its foundational principles (including the 2nd Amendment) than to have our youth (which means younger than me) to understand the basis of our Nation (the Constitution) and the critical importance of the BoRs. Among those ten, the 1st and the 2nd underpin all.

It is for that reason I urge our youth to understand the historical basis of the 2nd Amendment and their role in the unorganized militia. If they achieve the recognition they need arms, I try to never do the "gun snob" bit, recognizing many I interact with spend their funds on starting their family.

For those who are new, a safe used firearm with more money for ammo is usually a better option than spending all their money on getting one like mine they just had an opportunity to handle. Regardless of how "nice" if "feels".

To @MCgrease08 and @grillak points, we are in the "silly season" run up to a particularly important and heated Presidential election. I learned in 2018 that I could be wound up to an unhealthy level and needed to know when to step away from the political threads. At the same time, the fact INGO has those threads is largely why I am here and spend little time on TheHighRoad or TheFiringLine. (That, and INGO is just better)

In that 2018 time frame I also came to the conclusion that activism, both formal (writing legicritters, calls etc.) and informal (talking to coworkers, friends and family) about the Constitution and importance of the BoRs protections was far more productive than arguing via keyboard on the forum.

We all have a part to play, but the most foundational thing any of us can do is inform and ensure the next generation understands the gift they have received by having been born into the most free Nation on earth, and their responsibility to ensure their continued liberty, which is safeguarded by the Right to Arms and the militia.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I’m a noob. I own that.

But I came to this site because I thought I would be in good company. I’ve found that I’m, in many cases, nowhere near like minded gun owners.

Myself included, I’ve seen gun snobs of all types denigrating those that don’t fit into their niche.

A lot of 2A supporters only own one, two, three, firearms. Not because they don’t or can’t own more. But because that’s all that fit into there lifestyle or budget.

I’m at a stage of life that allows me to do whatever I want, I see the new guy’s-gal’s come on board and ask a question or make a comment and are immediately shot down because they don’t have or shoot the latest and greatest gold plated masterpiece. I accept that I may have done this myself in the past, but I can’t remember when. I know I have joined in a good natured ribbing more than once. But only joking around.

We, all of us, need every 2A supporter we can get. Please let’s not chase them off by telling them what they are doing isn’t good enough. Let’s support them and especially support them in teaching there children, grandchildren, neighbors, and non gun owning friends.

Flame Away!!!

RANT OVER
    By the board, I mean the forum. I wasn't meaning anything at all about the mods. It just seems like nowadays when I log in there are fewer new posts than there were 5 years ago or so..

I understand what you're saying, but I can't honestly recall seeing anyone "run off" of this site, recently. INGO is not at all like it was 10 years ago. That was the wild, wild, west back then (very contentious arguments and ad hominem attacks were common).
    All in all, this place is much more civilized (for better or worse) than when it operated on the "Lord of the Flies" model.
    That's not to say that trolls or antisocial usurpers are not warded off, but they're kindly steered to the rules, and gently reminded of their transgressions, so that they might recognize the error of their ways.
    If they don't, they get kicked to the curb.
    As I said, in opening, I haven't seen what you describe, but if I missed it, I join you in condemning it.

As to @foszoe, yes there does seem to be less posts. Perhaps this is due to less open trolling allowed by our courageous mod staff, or today's political climate, where some people are less likely to speak their mind, for a host of reasons, not the least being .gov surveillance (hello Mr. ATF).

Either way, @Mij is right, it's up to all of us to keep this forum growing and thriving, and to reach out to, and welcome, fellow 2A supporters of all stripes.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I understand what you're saying, but I can't honestly recall seeing anyone "run off" of this site, recently. INGO is not at all like it was 10 years ago. That was the wild, wild, west back then (very contentious arguments and ad hominem attacks were common).
    All in all, this place is much more civilized (for better or worse) than when it operated on the "Lord of the Flies" model.
    That's not to say that trolls or antisocial usurpers are not warded off, but they're kindly steered to the rules, and gently reminded of their transgressions, so that they might recognize the error of their ways.
    If they don't, they get kicked to the curb.
    As I said, in opening, I haven't seen what you describe, but if I missed it, I join you in condemning it.

As to @foszoe, yes there does seem to be less posts. Perhaps this is due to less open trolling allowed by our courageous mod staff, or today's political climate, where some people are less likely to speak their mind, for a host of reasons, not the least being .gov surveillance (hello Mr. ATF).

Either way, @Mij is right, it's up to all of us to keep this forum growing and thriving, and to reach out to, and welcome, fellow 2A supporters of all stripes.
    Sir: Thank you for your well thought out and correct in my opinion, response. Maybe it’s just me. But it seems (to me anyway) in the last few weeks that no matter what ever question or comment about product X is asked or made it is almost instantly countered. With the following admonishment “ you should do Y” because you are wrong.

But as I said “ maybe that’s just me”

I carry a 38 J frame sidearm for self protection.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Sir: Thank you for your well thought out and correct in my opinion, response. Maybe it’s just me. But it seems (to me anyway) in the last few weeks that no matter what ever question or comment about product X is asked or made it is almost instantly countered. With the following admonishment “ you should do Y” because you are wrong.

But as I said “ maybe that’s just me”

I carry a 38 J frame sidearm for self protection.
    Well that’s dumb!

Ok seriously now, there are times when I feel for a newb, but reading comprehension is also a thing, and if they’re going against the rules then they’re fair game when they show no remorse.
    That being said, a newb question about how things work should be nicely answered, and I think usually are, but I might miss something. In fact, I intend to miss something in my quest to reduce my screen time and nonsense intake. (Yet here I am..)

If you want to see some cruelty, go to pirate4x4 and ask a newb question. Those guys act like they want to come burn your house down. They have a flip-off emoji that’s probably used more than the like button here.

I am interested in the political sections, and don’t really have a problem interacting in them, but it does seem like an echo chamber a lot of times. There are certain things you can’t dissent from, or you’re a commie or something.

I think INGO’s a great forum, with something for almost everyone’s interest, and I appreciate the diversity of subject matter as well as opinions. Best forum I’ve ever seen as far as membership and activity, that can and does turn into relationships in the real.

I never met Churchmouse, and wasn’t really around when this was the Lord of the Flies thing, but I know we have him to thank for straightening this place out in a lot of ways.

As far as mods go, I think that I’ve only seen what I thought was an overstep once in recent times, and of course I wasn’t privy to what they saw so my opinion doesn’t matter. Which is amazing, considering all the interactions they must have and everything they do.
    We really have the mods to thank and appreciate that keep this place going, it’s up to us to welcome newbs and maybe help herd the cats that are the occasional loose cannon, new or old.

The TL;DR thanks, mods.

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    That's forums in general, not just INGO. I'm on a few other boards, some have died, some are on life support, while INGO is still kicking (way better than most).

IMO, that's largely due to Facebook and Reddit.
    I finally made an account here around the time I was finished with fakebook. I do miss the marketplace though, and a few specific groups I had joined. Those groups are really what killed many other forums I used in the past

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well that’s dumb!

Ok seriously now, there are times when I feel for a newb, but reading comprehension is also a thing, and if they’re going against the rules then they’re fair game when they show no remorse.
    That being said, a newb question about how things work should be nicely answered, and I think usually are, but I might miss something. In fact, I intend to miss something in my quest to reduce my screen time and nonsense intake. (Yet here I am..)

If you want to see some cruelty, go to pirate4x4 and ask a newb question. Those guys act like they want to come burn your house down. They have a flip-off emoji that’s probably used more than the like button here.

I am interested in the political sections, and don’t really have a problem interacting in them, but it does seem like an echo chamber a lot of times. There are certain things you can’t dissent from, or you’re a commie or something.

I think INGO’s a great forum, with something for almost everyone’s interest, and I appreciate the diversity of subject matter as well as opinions. Best forum I’ve ever seen as far as membership and activity, that can and does turn into relationships in the real.

I never met Churchmouse, and wasn’t really around when this was the Lord of the Flies thing, but I know we have him to thank for straightening this place out in a lot of ways.

As far as mods go, I think that I’ve only seen what I thought was an overstep once in recent times, and of course I wasn’t privy to what they saw so my opinion doesn’t matter. Which is amazing, considering all the interactions they must have and everything they do.
    We really have the mods to thank and appreciate that keep this place going, it’s up to us to welcome newbs and maybe help herd the cats that are the occasional loose cannon, new or old.

The TL;DR thanks, mods.
    Not a bit of probs w the mods, but that shot about J frames is just Stu-pid. They are Gods gift to the earth.

:lmfao:

Top Bottom