• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I see this type of post on other boards all the time, in my opinion means absolutely nothing since we will never will be able to have all the facts and the real reason that this department choose to stop using S&W.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    That part is pretty funny. A micron is like a trillion dollars, most people have no comprehension of what it looks like. For the PD to measure that small of an amount they must have an aerospace lab helping them out.

Exactly. A micron is a millionth of a meter. Why somebody decided to call that a micron instead of a micrometer is beyond me.

10 microns = .000393"

I would love to see how they accurately measured this. The % error in the reading would probably be larger than that anyways. EDIT - No it wouldn't, but I think it would be significant.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think the "something going on" issue that people think must be happening is the impact that a problem had on the training schedule. I expect that police training acadamies, just like military boot camps, run on a pretty tight schedule. Recruits go in on Day 1, and by gum trained police officers need to appear on Day 93 (or however long the DPS academy is), and ANYTHING that threatens the schedule needs to be fixed ASAP.

Regardless of what the problem with the M&Ps was, from loose sights to sears to just plain misperception, if it looked like it was going to booger the schedule, I'll bet the staff looked at it like this: "We know how to train and qualify 99% of trainees with the Sig Pistols in the time allotted. We're not sure if we can do that with the M&Ps. Ergo, solution is train on the Sigs. End of schedule problem." Then the "problem" with the M&Ps can be fixed at leisure, whether its gun, ammo, instructor, teaching method, etc.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I visited Indy Gun Safety today and both Shields were impressive. I will go with the .40. I'm of the opinion that there may have been a bad batch. I also like to fire 500 or so rounds before making any assumptions regarding reliability.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Exactly. A micron is a millionth of a meter. Why somebody decided to call that a micron instead of a micrometer is beyond me.

10 microns = .000393"

I would love to see how they accurately measured this. The % error in the reading would probably be larger than that anyways. EDIT - No it wouldn't, but I think it would be significant.

Bingo. I handy reference is that a human hair is usually about 80 microns in diameter. So, pluck a hair and slice it into eighths lengthwise, that width is about the dimensionsal difference we are talking about.

For additional reference, the coefficient of linear thermal expansion for AISI 4140 (A good proxy for slide steel) is 13.7 microns per METER per degree C. For a slide of 30mm width (roughly M&P width), that means the slide would have to change temperature by only 2.4 deg C for the width to increase by 10 microns.

In other words, the defect they are claiming is a tiny fraction of the normal width swelling due to thermal expansion between cold and recently fired.

In other other other words, the article is bogus.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    An unidentified person said that "HE SUSPENDED" the use of the pistols for the recruits ... I cant imagine that there are more than a handfull of people who have the power to pull the plug on a political contract. Their head training coordinator, chief armorer, or head administrator seem like the usual suspects. Which one negotiated the contract in the first place? Which one had motive to change it? Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Normally a training officer, or armorer will forward their concern up the chain of command to their chief administrator, who will act based on their advice. I would not suspect the armorer unless the issue were legitimate (which it doesn't seem to be), because he is probably the one who researched and negotiated the deal to get the the S&W to begin with. If the problem is political (long term money expendature), then I would suspect the administrator.

Top Bottom