• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    So i read that in a declassified memo and also saw the report on the news and yet they still wont let us carry our legally owned handguns on and off post. And some people in my family think im crazy for carrying in the civilian world because lets face it sometimes you can tell by the haircut and how someone presents them selves if they are military or police. Also this may sound crazy but given the rising frequency in attacks i think that the military should get its own nationaly recconised carry permit like the police do. Just my :twocents:. If we are gonna spend thousands and in some cases millions to train these guys you'd think we would want to protect our investment. But im a 21 year old spc grunt not a politician with endless wisdom what do i know?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Where are you stationed? The last time I was in Benning doing my BAR, personal firearms were allowed, with the stipulation that they were checked in at the Provost Marshall for serial number registration and secured in a locked container when not in use. I thought the services were starting to come around, though the "anti-suicide" crowd is getting a lot of regulations their way.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So i read that in a declassified memo and also saw the report on the news and yet they still wont let us carry our legally owned handguns on and off post. And some people in my family think im crazy for carrying in the civilian world because lets face it sometimes you can tell by the haircut and how someone presents them selves if they are military or police. Also this may sound crazy but given the rising frequency in attacks i think that the military should get its own nationaly recconised carry permit like the police do. Just my :twocents:. If we are gonna spend thousands and in some cases millions to train these guys you'd think we would want to protect our investment. But im a 21 year old spc grunt not a politician with endless wisdom what do i know?

I would have thought that the Ft Hood incident would have been a wake up call for this nation. But obviously, this admin wants to sweep it completely under the rug. They have classified it as "workplace violence".

In reality, it was an act of radical Islamic terrorism.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    In my day, it was whatever the local commander said. We could have guns and there was, and still is hunting allowed on many military bases like Atterbury and Fort Knox. I never carried a pistol unless I was in uniform and on base. I can remember several times running ranges when guys would bring a pistol, or AR and I would let them fire it on a range. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time. That was 25 years ago and may be totally different today.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I'm NG but I do keep up with this sort of thing. Mob stations like atterbury do not allow personal firearms on the military side period. We had a guy lose his active guard job for using his personal handgun on the pistol range. At places like Benning you have to register in the arms room and if you live in the barracks like most unmarried junior enlisted they have to stay int the arms room. And for personnel that work in the recruiting offices(wich are frequently targeted) they are completely unarmed. And when traveling somewhere for a school you cannot take firearms either even in your pov

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    I'm army reserve and I'm not sure of cranes policy on personal firearms. I never take mine to drill anyway. I was told by my command at ait this summer that we should try to blend in and not stand out as military personnel when off base because of domestic terror concerns.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Sometimes it's kinda hard to blend in Edpecially if your a recruiter stuck in an office with no security

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    Sometimes it's kinda hard to blend in Edpecially if your a recruiter stuck in an office with no security

They trut our military with weapons overseas but when they get back they are dis-armed and on the top of homeland securities potential threats list. A very saf but true. I am not certain as I have never tried but I would think that in the service we could not exactly jut call up command and complain about policies like civillians can call congressman. I have heard of people shooting up recruiters offices before. It's sad that some one would ever do that. Just like that incident out west last year where NG soldiers got shot in a restaurant Shortly after coming home from deployment.IANAL and my opinions and statements are solely mine and do not reflect any other organization or affiliation.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i am all for it lets just say a couple of bg's in the sand box literally have my address and full name bc of someones negligence (not me by the way). that said person got a real good chewing even though i would of like to do more then that. not fun calling your parents and telling them if someone they dont know shows up at the door with a middle eastern appearance to greet them with the .357. i was stationed in crane for about 5 yrs and know some of the guys who were cops brought their weapons on post against regs...... not saying names. i did ask the guy in charge of the range about using the range for my new ak i had at the time he said it was possible and to call before and let him know it would have to be checked in.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    i am all for it lets just say a couple of bg's in the sand box literally have my address and full name bc of someones negligence (not me by the way). that said person got a real good chewing even though i would of like to do more then that. not fun calling your parents and telling them if someone they dont know shows up at the door with a middle eastern appearance to greet them with the .357. i was stationed in crane for about 5 yrs and know some of the guys who were cops brought their weapons on post against regs...... not saying names. i did ask the guy in charge of the range about using the range for my new ak i had at the time he said it was possible and to call before and let him know it would have to be checked in.

I'm thinking we know those same people :cool: . That's not a good secenario that you put out there but it is entirely possible especially after the wiki leaks type problem or a stolen flash drive or cd , mail by the locals while overseas
    .but that kind of thing never happens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    you would be amazed how much those dirtbags can do from a ways away. giving the job i performed and knowing what the specific bgs had done it still puts you edge. every now and then you see someone that looks and acts just like them and you have to take a tripple look to just to make sure. and with all the back lash in bagram for burning their
    "holy" book you never know.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I do not think the police should have nationally recognized status they have.
    I think they should, but I also think so should every single other citizen, including active duty military.

OP, so they won't let you carry handguns, have you looked into policies about knives, OC, tasers (not stun guns but tasers that will give you a chance to hit build a little distance and GTFO), add in hand to hand training (and maintaining those skills not letting them fade) and good SA, and you've still got a significant edge over the average person around you on the streets. Also, and this is rhetorical so as not to create security issues of it's own, but are there specific threats that they are warning you of, and other than carry a firearm, what actions can you take to identify, avoid, or respond to those specific threats?

There may be times I am unable to carry my firearm, but I am never disarmed so long as I have my brain and my hands.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I would have thought that the Ft Hood incident would have been a wake up call for this nation. But obviously, this admin wants to sweep it completely under the rug. They have classified it as "workplace violence".

In reality, it was an act of radical Islamic terrorism.

Please tell me you are joking or sadly misinformed...... PLEASE!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I think they should, but I also think so should every single other citizen, including active duty military.

OP, so they won't let you carry handguns, have you looked into policies about knives, OC, tasers (not stun guns but tasers that will give you a chance to hit build a little distance and GTFO), add in hand to hand training (and maintaining those skills not letting them fade) and good SA, and you've still got a significant edge over the average person around you on the streets. Also, and this is rhetorical so as not to create security issues of it's own, but are there specific threats that they are warning you of, and other than carry a firearm, what actions can you take to identify, avoid, or respond to those specific threats?

There may be times I am unable to carry my firearm, but I am never disarmed so long as I have my brain and my hands.
    Yea most of us do carry knives and I'm sure they don't mind tassers and such in our povs but as for carrying in uniform say if we have to stop somewhere on our way home that's a no. And honestly I don't wanna rely on a just a knife or tasser while the bg has a firearm

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    That is just plain stupid, not your comment, but they have no means or a way to protect themselves.. insane!
    I was recruiting when the Fort Hood shooting happened. A bit later they came out what to do for an active shooter. It was pretty much, cry, run and hide, hope they dont see you, things like that. I told the command that I would go out fighting. Might be a knife in a gun fight, but I ain't going down on my knees like they wanted.
    As for the base policy, on most bases that I have been to. You can carry to or from a range with privately owned weapons. You cannot carry loaded firearms unless they are issued. Yes, it does seem stupid that they trust us with decisions overseas that can cause international incidents and problems, but apparently back in the states, we are little kids that need to be watched over. Course, just like any other law, it will not change until a lot more blood has been shed and people take up with that. Glad to know Im entrusted with national security secrets, everyone's personal information (an an MP, got access to all that as well), but Im not trusted with a loaded weapon of my own. Course, with BGs targeting military personnel, Im already double whammies, cause when I arrest/detain someone, chances are, they might not be the most happy with their military career ending, so later they see me out and about and unarmed, they try to kill me. Course, the last one I have pointed out since I had joined the Army in '96, but still nothing.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Please tell me you are joking or sadly misinformed...... PLEASE!
    which part, cause they have classified it as workplace violence already. They are still going on with the trial, as I have worked with both of the DA cops that were involved with that incident. (I was stationed on Ft Hood from 03-08, with a year break in 04 for Iraq).

Top Bottom