• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Many of us who've been around for some time take a keen interest in terminal ballistics and have seen trends come and go. There's been a lot of thinking on this over the years by various people - some more useful than others.

I'm not sure how the following site escaped my notice before now, but it did, and I don't think it has been posted on INGO before, so here it is:

Terminal Ballistics

I think it's written in a style that can be useful regardless of your current perspective on the subject.

Applicable most directly to hunting, btw.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    As an engineer, I like the analytical style of the writing. I haven't read completely through it yet, but already learned a few things and some of which were obvious. Always thought about death by lack of oxygen delivered by the blood required bleeding out. However, immediate destruction of the heart or major arteries puts the blood pressure at 0. It doesn't matter if the blood leaves or not, it won't circulate to provide additional oxygen and death will be rapid. Makes complete sense, just never thought in those terms.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I just scanned over it. Not really enough to say good or bad, just enought to not feel that interested in it I guess.

I base my opinions on wounds and weapon effect on seeing animals shot and then taking them apart to eat them.

I don't think 90% of human beings have even 10% of the heart, determination, and will to live as the weakest deer I've ever killed. I researve that 10% as a guess for the population who are serving or have served in the armed forces. Civilians, including my self as I've never served, will whine and cry around for a week because they hit their thumb with a hammer, run to the emergency room with a cut that takes a couple stitches, give up their property with just the threat of violence.

How long would they last past the first time you hit one in the leg with a shotgun slug? Deer do it all the time. If I've killed a deer with it, I think it will do just fine in any situation I need to and can hit a human being with it.

The link is well put together and looks to have a lot of info, I'll definately put it in my favs for another time when I'm in the mood for pouring over details.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Good read /lots of info.Put it on my favorites list.Ive been having a huge debate with a buddy of mine 135gr/40 vs 200gr/45 .I like the 40 smokin ,big wound cavity , he likes the 45 thump and dump. Need to email this to him give him something eise to chew on.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Good data, this will take some digesting. The US Army did some extensive testing at the end of WWII. I am not sure but I think the results were published by Hatcher, Ackley or one of their contemporaries.

Top Bottom