TENS unit with EMS features recommendation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone own an over the counter TENS unit that they would recommend for EMS? My doctor recommended one for me today (In general) but said for my limited use I didnt need a prescription strength (expensive) unit.

I see tons of different ones at all different prices. But I know lots of them are pure and utter crap.

Suggestions?|

EDIT I am actually looking for a TENS powerful enough to also do Electro Muscle Stimulation to massage and loosen spasming muscles. (See Post 7)

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have the Omron brand one from CVS, it's held up well and works like it's supposed to, although I can't say I notice much effect.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I have a Icy Hot brand TENS "machine". It's not a cure all by any stretch of the imagination. It's an odd sensation at first but it does make the pain go away (mostly) while it's being used. My pain is at the base of my spine sometimes hard to pinpoint the exact spot and sometimes I have to lay down as it's a bit uncomfortable to sit YMMV. Mine came with a replacement battery. I'd suggest getting a extra battery and also some replacement pads too. Have not need kinda thing. Good luck and sorry, back pain really sucks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Keep in mind that TENS units effect pain like white noise in a room. All it does is "trick" the brain into not receiving the pain indicators. This is why a lot of people notice the pain subsiding while they have it on only to have it return shortly after discontinuing treatment.

We have one that we borrowed and my wife is currently using it for thumb injury.

It is not a device that cures.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Keep in mind that TENS units effect pain like white noise in a room. All it does is "trick" the brain into not receiving the pain indicators. This is why a lot of people notice the pain subsiding while they have it on only to have it return shortly after discontinuing treatment.

We have one that we borrowed and my wife is currently using it for thumb injury.

It is not a device that cures.

I agree/disagree.
    I have one for back pain. It does not "cure" the back pain. But I recover from bad episodes far faster while using it, than not using it.

How Does A Tens Unit Work?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    TENS units in this case can also be used for muscle stimulation to cause them to ultimately relax afterward. So I guess Im really looking for a TENS unit with EMS features. (Electro Muscle Stimulation... same concept as those "exercise your abs while watching TV" contraptions sold on TV a while back. )

My old Chiro used one on me before and it worked well to cause the muscle to essentially massage itself into relaxation, effectively stretching it. ITs basically a TENS on steroids. Instead of generating white noise it generates enough current to involuntarily flex the muscles.

The issue I have is I'm dealing with muscle pain, tension and spasms in my neck. To the point that Ive been told to do strength exercises to build up muscle strength to reduce the stress/pain. However when I try to work out even gently with therabands and/or light dumbells, the muscles in question involuntarily contract into painful spasms, preventing any meaningful exercise. (even when I'm not working out those specific muscles) So its a bit of a catch 22; I need to build up strength to reduce pain. Cant exercise without causing the pain.

Ugh.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I bought this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCRE4GO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    for my wife after the one she got through her medical provider stopped working. She says it works well enough -- it is not a cure-all but some times it is the only thing that relieves certain back pains and spasms. Only $27 dollars with Prime, and bought some extra pads. Pro-tip: don't leave the pads in a hot car. :rolleyes:

I don't know about the "EMS" part tho.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have one after my spinal fusion and like it.. during therapy it sure helped and the chiropractor had used one on me... = results so I agree on them. . not sure why the over the counter and scripted one are that different. I use it and my wife uses it and gets relief. I have not used it in awhile but its handy to have around.
    I have extra pads that if anyone wants a few PM me and I will send you some. Tim

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is what I got from my Chiro today. 15 mins with it and I'm a new man. I literally felt like the problem muscle was removed from my body after I turned off the unit. I had no idea that I had constant tension and was always feeling it. It became normal to feel it. Now its weird that the tension is gone.

I overpaid a bit and am kinda annoyed looking online, but I know it works well, and I dont have to wait to get it. (my fault for not doing my homework fully.) Whats done is done so I'm not going to whine about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Ten...UTF8&qid=1481166555&sr=8-2&keywords=tens+3000

And from talking with my doctor, the prescription ones have higher output. Though the output of this one is scary above 3. (8 is max) Maybe with bigger pads and more spread out area it takes more juice to do the same thing? :dunno: I wouldnt be surprised tho if the higher price is simply because they can. You know, like the famous $1,000 hammers sold to .gov. Why is it more expensive? Because the insurance company is willing to pay it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and the wife was PISSED when I told her what I spent. Then I said "hey, you have that muscle thats acting up, lets try it on you.

She's no longer pissed. :laugh:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I tried a chiro, two different times for lumbar pain. I never felt I got much benefit from that electric stimulation thing.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I had one like you had listed in the link.. yup only fun was when my boys would hook it up to each other to see who could take the most.. be careful I was wearing it and bumped the knob up to shake and bake .. it was at church and I was behind the sound board.. just moved by the spirit was what I said... If you need any pads let me know. Thanks Tim

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is what I got from my Chiro today. 15 mins with it and I'm a new man. I literally felt like the problem muscle was removed from my body after I turned off the unit. I had no idea that I had constant tension and was always feeling it. It became normal to feel it. Now its weird that the tension is gone.

I overpaid a bit and am kinda annoyed looking online, but I know it works well, and I dont have to wait to get it. (my fault for not doing my homework fully.) Whats done is done so I'm not going to whine about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Ten...UTF8&qid=1481166555&sr=8-2&keywords=tens+3000

And from talking with my doctor, the prescription ones have higher output. Though the output of this one is scary above 3. (8 is max) Maybe with bigger pads and more spread out area it takes more juice to do the same thing? :dunno: I wouldnt be surprised tho if the higher price is simply because they can. You know, like the famous $1,000 hammers sold to .gov. Why is it more expensive? Because the insurance company is willing to pay it.

I've been to physical therapy 3 or 4 times. And each time it was new ladies that didn't know me, it being years between therapies.
    And each time they say, "Are you sure you want to go higher?".
    "Yes Mam. I've absorbed a LOT of voltage over the years".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had one like you had listed in the link.. yup only fun was when my boys would hook it up to each other to see who could take the most.. be careful I was wearing it and bumped the knob up to shake and bake .. it was at church and I was behind the sound board.. just moved by the spirit was what I said... If you need any pads let me know. Thanks Tim

Thanks for the offer. I found a great deal on pads. 44 packs for $20 to my door.

I've been to physical therapy 3 or 4 times. And each time it was new ladies that didn't know me, it being years between therapies.
    And each time they say, "Are you sure you want to go higher?".
    "Yes Mam. I've absorbed a LOT of voltage over the years".

That explains a LOT. :stickpoke::p

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My wife bought the Icy Hot one for me last year when I did something to my back. This was when we were cleaning out the Father-In-Law's house. It worked, sort of till my wife tried to electrocute me by turning it to high.

So be careful with how high you turn those things up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife bought the Icy Hot one for me last year when I did something to my back. This was when we were cleaning out the Father-In-Law's house. It worked, sort of till my wife tried to electrocute me by turning it to high.

So be careful with how high you turn those things up.

Trust me. I've bumped the knob and it was game on for a few seconds as I struggle to turn it down. LOL Due to how close the pads are, anything above 4 is exciting.

Top Bottom