Tell me what are the advantages of 40 Smith & Wesson.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is a fairly comprehensive comparison between hundreds of 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP cartridges. This is from the AmmoGuide.com database and proves why my favorite semi-auto cartridge is the .40 S&W. Some people have tried to describe the .40 S&W as a compromise cartridge, but the results tell a different story... The .40 S&W is a "Best of Both Worlds" cartridge.

94045.jpg

It is hard to argue against a data set comprised of (401) 9mm, (277) .40 S&W and (524) .45 ACP cartridges.

If you want some gruesome statistics on real "stopping power" compiled from the reports of LE agencies around the country, then you can look at this dated but relevant article showing data from Evan Marshall's research. In this report, "stopping power" is defined as:
    • Single shots only... Multiple shots would skew the data
    • Torso hits only... No head or appendage shots
    • A stop was defined as the assailant collapsing within 10 feet... The perp could not fight on.

Selecting the Duty Weapon--Is Caliber the Key?

It looks to me that the .40 S&W edges out the other modern calibers by a slim margin.

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    If you want some gruesome statistics on real "stopping power" compiled from the reports of LE agencies around the country, then you can look at this dated but relevant article showing data from Evan Marshall's research. In this report, "stopping power" is defined as:
    • Single shots only... Multiple shots would skew the data
    • Torso hits only... No head or appendage shots
    • A stop was defined as the assailant collapsing within 10 feet... The perp could not fight on.

Selecting the Duty Weapon--Is Caliber the Key?

It looks to me that the .40 S&W edges out the other modern calibers by a slim margin.

To me, this report shows that any of the "modern" calibers are perfectly suitable as a defensive round. Yes, the .40 is a little higher percent (5%)compared to the 9mm, but all perform very well. I found it very interesting that in the 9mm and .40 S&W the lower grain bullets performed better. I would guess that would have to do with the velocity of those rounds compared with the .45.

I have, read on this site, before from some fellas that are in the medical field, and have seen gun shot victims. They mentioned caliber doesn't seem to matter with pistols. It is all about shot placement espically with pistols. Because the damage isn't done from the hole created by the bullet, it is done from the temporary cavity produced by the transfer of energy. Which is why the .223 round works so well for the military, a 55 Gr. bullet traveling at 3200 fps is going to create a huge temporary cavity which destroys anything within that area.

Look at it from another angle, for all of us hunters, after you field dress the deer you harvest this firearms season look at the organs and look at what has been destroyed by that slug. The destruction is much wider than the slug is. If you process the deer yourself the evidence is even more obvious, the meat around the hole created by the slug is all black and roughly 6 inches wide. That whole area is completely destroyed by the energy the slug transfers into the muscle, organs, and whatever else it is going to go through.

I feel in the end shoot what you feel comfortable shooting and what your budget will allow you to shoot, because shot placement is what counts and practice is the only way to have good shot placement.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I'll add my .02 also. It all depends on what bullet your using as to what is the best self defense caliber. Is a .40S&W going to save your life where a 9mm wont? I doubt it. If you want a .40, get one. Me personally, I slimmed down and only own 9mm and 45 semi-auto handguns. Less different ammo I have to buy! I dont see a real world advantage to the .40

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think jforrest and Mrmonte are on the money. It's all about hitting your target. That's more important than what you hit it with, as long as were being reasonable. I watch a lot of true crime shows on TV, and there are sure a lot of murder victims whose murders used a .22 rimfire to do the deed. Still, I want more than a .22 on me.

I made a new chart including a pretty good .45 ACP round, and you can see why I wouldn't really consider the .40 to be a compromise. All three of these are good defensive ammo, but the 40 hits harder than the 45 out to about 100 yards:

9_40_45_energy.png

Here's a drop chart, too, if anyone cares. I just like playing with the software:

9_40_45_drop.png

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Lots of great information already noted. This is a link to another very good ballisitc calculator for Federal ammunition. You can use the compare feature to overlay a couple of different rounds if you want to see them on the same chart.
    Federal Premium - Downloadable Ballistics Application

I personally choose a .40 as my carry gun, but not because a 9mm is inadequate. To me, it's a personal choice. The round certainly does have bit more punch as others have noted and to me I like that little extra if I can get it.

To me, the recoil is very manageable and I have confidence in the round. Again, nothing whatsoever against a 9mm, but I chose the .40 instead. When given a choice, I opt for a slightly bigger hole and a bit more punch. With any luck, neither will matter in my days on the Earth!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can kill someone with a .22, with proper shot placement. It really comes down to what suites you the best. I prefer the .40, but it's a personal prefrence. I also like carrying the heavier grain bullets. Such 147 grain 9mm, and 180 grain .40.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, Joe, there is a demonstable difference. You may decide that the difference is insignificant for your application, but I don't think you could claim that there is no difference.

After the Miami FBI shootout in 1986 (wiki), the FBI decided to upgrade from 9mm to 10mm, which is .40 caliber. Later, they found that .40 SW is as good as 10mm for most purposes (note). Not that the gubment always gets things right, but there is a difference.

But I think I know what you mean. 99% of the time it wouldn't matter if you were carrying 9mm or .40 SW or a howitzer, as long as you have something. Probably 99% of the time (I made that up) you don't have to shoot at all to deter. In those cases, a convincing toy gun would suffice.

(note) That is oversimplified greatly. After refreshing myself on the subject, it is clear that the FBI went to the 10mm cartridge, but found that many agents could not handle the power. They developed a lighter load for the 10mm cartridge called the 10mm FBI. Then they realized the longer case was not necessary for the lighter load and asked for a shorter case. Thus the .40 SW was developed and widely adopted by LE agencies.

Last edited:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009

Pretty much. Who cares about energy, speed, blah, blah, blah - it just doesn't make much difference at handgun velocities. Specific bullet weights in a caliber are pretty meaningless as well. Pick a round with the proper amount of penetration and forget it. There are good choices in 9,40, & 45. Use whatever you shoot the best. All this caliber stuff is just way overblown. People tend to spend too much time beating the caliber topic to death instead of focusing on training, practice, tactics etc.

Personal Defense Ammunition Performance Data
    (much of the data is old now - however it proves the point)
    It would be worth looking around the site in general as well.

The biggest advantage of the 40 is to the gun amd ammo manufactures - sure got them a boatload of sales.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    why not try 357 sig? its both a 40SW and 9! Usually you can get a 357 sig that also has a 40 barrel and can switch between the two since you use the same magazine. I think accuracy is better and I feel there is less recoil with the 357 sig. The 40 has been around longer so its tried and tested and 357 sig can be hard to find. :twocents:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    why not try 357 sig?

That idea is worth thinking about. I have a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock 27. I've fired it a few times, and I like it. It has a little more snap than .40 SW, as I recall, but not unmanageable.

I haven't studied the .357 Sig all that well. I believe it was designed to emulate the .357 Magnum round in a semiauto setting. From the little I've read, it doesn't quite measure up in that regard. When I get some time, I'll explore the ballistics of the .357 Sig, .357 Magnum, and .40 SW. That should be interesting, if not totally useful.

I have a small boatload of .357 Sig ammo that I picked up from a retired LEO (on this board) when he decided to move down in power a little bit for his personal carry weapon. I got a good price and he got some cash to buy ammo. I have never fired a single round of it, and it has been at least nine months since I got it.

One piece I read suggested carrying .40 SW in an urban setting and switching to .357 Sig in a more rural setting. The implication was that the .357 Sig might be subject to overpenetration, which could more of a problem in the city.

I dunno.

It is funny to me that a Glock in .357 Sig is not marked with "Sig", since Glock refuses to acknowledge that other firearms manufacturers exist. Likewise, the .40 SW is just marked .40. Weird.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    10mm lite ????

Back in the mid '80s, an FBI Robbery unti was gunned down by 2 maniacs dubbed the infamous Miami Shootout. Agents were killed, some while reloading their revolvers, their crack shot lost his glasses in the felony stop and was later killed.

The FBI in all their wisdom decided they needed something different for their agents. They adopted the S&W 1076 10mm and it was too much for some male officers and most female officers, so the birth of the .40 S&W came about.... dubber the 10mm lite or 10mm FBI during creation. The supposed improvements over the 9mm are better penetration including windshields, more power and then more controlable than the 10mm and all in a 9mm sized handgun.

Thats how I remember the birth of the .40..... after all of that, being Feds they should have had M16s in the vehicles.... never bring a knife toa gun fight and never bring a pistol to a rifle fight!!!

Here is a link for the Miami shootout:

1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOW I SEE RMCROBs POST..... I WAS INTERUPTED TYPING THIS WHEN THE LITTLE ONE GOT HOME FROM SCHOOL....

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    You can kill someone with a .22, with proper shot placement. It really comes down to what suites you the best. I prefer the .40, but it's a personal prefrence. I also like carrying the heavier grain bullets. Such 147 grain 9mm, and 180 grain .40.

I was unaware that anybody would choose to carry and trust any lower grain than full potential rounds:dunno:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was unaware that anybody would choose to carry and trust any lower grain than full potential rounds
    When you give up weight you gain velocity, and vice versa, for the same powder load.

I just ran the ballistics of two different .40 SW JHP cartridges. The energy depends on the distance; the crossover is at about 10 or 12 yards out. But the velocity crossover is quite a bit farther out. The energy of the bullet involves both the mass and the velocity, but the velocity is more important. On the other hand, air resistance slows down the lighter bullet faster. It isn't as easy as just deciding on the bigger bullet.

40-energy.png

40-velocity.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom