• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I saw that AIM has them really cheap, and I want a rifle to go with my handguns, and thought that this might be a nice cheap place to start. Thoughts?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Mosins tend to multiply in your safe all by themselves. It's a mystery to me. I started with one and now I have...well, too many. :D

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Its a decent and cheap rifle, ammo seems to be readily available and there are options out there to improve the rifle itself such as stock and what not, for me, Ive picked one up, handled it and put it back down, I just didnt like the feel of it, which is personal preferance, that being said, ill probably end up picking one up at some point being that they are so cheap but itll be after my AR build is done

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dunhams Sports in Muncie had them for $79.99 just a couple of weeks ago. If you have a Dunhams close, you might want to check with them. At least that way, you would be able to see what your buying before you lay out the money. Their website is Dunham's Sports they have a store locator on their site.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    If you like precision rifles and don't really get into history that much, I don't know how much you'll get out of it. There is a lot of bang for the buck (one of the best deals going right now on the rifle AND the ammo).

There are also some very cheap and easy ways to make one behave itself better. If you Google "accurizing Mosin Nagant" you will get reams of material to read through and get ideas.

Being a history nerd, I love 'em, but my favorites are the "not cheap" variety - the Finn reworks (primarily the M39). Those things are just plain sweet.

saw223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Built like a tank, and I've had quite a few that were surprisingly accurate. Of course it depends on how well it was taken care of, who made, it, etc. etc. They are fun to shoot, and fairly inexpensive for a .30 rifle. :) Of course most of the surplus ammo is corrosive so just clean it well after shooting, and it will last a few more lifetimes.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Get you one.........or two.
    They are great & tough stick guns, ammo is cheap, they scare the .22 plinkers off of the range. Great muzzle blast.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I personally do not own a mosin but my cousin did and it was really accurate and fun to shoot, the ammo was cheap and easy to find, I had an m44 and that was also really accurate

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Vids from the 2008 INGO Mosin Nagant shoot (nsfw language due to Danielocean03 having a potty mouth :D )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBTPHKHc6HQ]YouTube - "Chicks dig that ammo!"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIqvgs8hBLY]YouTube - Shockwave[/ame]

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My fear in buying one of these is that I know so little about them that I don't know what to look for when picking a good one out of the bunch. Is there anything in particular that a person should look for that would make you avoid buying it?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Bradis had 20-25 last week. I was looking at them until a little lady from Russia peeked out of the stack...7.62x39 makes a pretty good bang too. Not as much as the Mosin but fun anyway. Where is ammo still available 7.62x54 for around $100.00/440?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was at Bradis last weekend and they still had that 1934 Hex receiver 91/30 with a SN 280. It was a great rifle and if I had not just bought another 1911, it would be in safe with the others. The thing to look for on a Mosin is the bore. Hold the trigger back and pull the bolt, then look through the bore (be careful you don't break their ceiling lights - they are quite long). Look for shiney and sharp rifling. Most are counterbored and the ones that are not, are probably in need of it anyway. For a fun shooter, you probably don't need to worry much about matching numbers but if you are looking for something collectible, it would be nice to have them.

The 91/30s are the typical long rifles but there are also M44 carbines with a bayonet and the M38 without. 91/30s are easy to find, but M44s are getting to be difficult and M38s are getting down right rare. Another nice thing about a Mosin is that they look good hanging on the wall so you can admire them between shoots. My wife does not mind the M38 hanging over the TV, but she'd be less enthusiastic about my AR hanging there.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    My fear in buying one of these is that I know so little about them that I don't know what to look for when picking a good one out of the bunch. Is there anything in particular that a person should look for that would make you avoid buying it?

Yes there are a few things to look for when buying a Mosin.
    First buy a cheap box of 7.62x54r ammo, because you will need to do the bullet test. Here's how.
    Take one round gently set it in the muzzle end of the barrel.
    If it looks like this you got a good one.
    See how far the bullet sticks out of the muzzle.
    dwoymw.jpg

But if it looks like this, put it down & walk away.
    Note, no bullet showing at muzzle.
    oiajow.jpg

There are exceptions to this test, like a counter bored muzzle.
    Some gun owners like them but I don't. It just tells me that the muzzle was worn out to need this repair so the rest of the rifling can't be that good.
    Also, look down the barrel if you see clean sharp rifling it is a good gun.
    If you see dirt, 1. it has not been taken care of or 2. there trying to hide a bad barrel.
    Good Luck, hope you find a good one, or two, or three get the picture?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom