• ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Very similar but..............

Very similar to the story from a few years back when 911 told an older woman to use her shotgun when a guy broke through her sliding glass door.

She did what she had to.

I had a copy of the entire 911 call on the earlier one you're talking about. Reference it taking the police 21 minutes to get there, it was probably out in the sticks. We're talking wide open spaces. 21 minutes would be extremely good response time for some of the places we've been in OK and SD. On the earlier incident, mentioned above, it was over an hour! There was no LEO on duty anywhere near the incident. They called an off duty officer from the closest town and dispatched a deputy from the next county and the lady's son who was a deputy on duty in another county further away. Same deal, though. The lady said she had a shotgun and was going to shoot the guy if came in. The dispatcher told her to do what she had to do. She actually told the dispatcher something like "he's going to break the sliding door, I'm putting the phone down". Then you could hear the glass break and the shotgun fire. I'm gonna' have to see if I still have that file somewhere. That event spurred me to get a HD shotgun.

Edit: Don't know if the entire call is on here, but here's the story.
    Edit II: Apparently the videos don't work anymore.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/09/earlyshow/main5949873.shtml

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    +1 to the mother, Id hope my wife would do the same if that ever happened and I wasn't there, horrible that someone do that right after her husband died but doesn't surprise me in the world we live in today.

eblevins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    she did what was neessary

I hope she is not blaming her self. This is why all proper citizens need to be familiar with fire arms.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    +1 to the mom. I find it very cool how calm she sounded. "Do what you have to do to protect your baby." ...and she did just that.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    This is precisely why I bought my (now) pregnant wife her first Glock, and put it in her nightstand. I know that despite her hesitance to do harm to another, her maternal instinct will kick in, in a time of crisis.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    I had a copy of the entire 911 call on the earlier one you're talking about. Reference it taking the police 21 minutes to get there, it was probably out in the sticks. We're talking wide open spaces. 21 minutes would be extremely good response time for some of the places we've been in OK and SD. On the earlier incident, mentioned above, it was over an hour! There was no LEO on duty anywhere near the incident. They called an off duty officer from the closest town and dispatched a deputy from the next county and the lady's son who was a deputy on duty in another county further away. Same deal, though. The lady said she had a shotgun and was going to shoot the guy if came in. The dispatcher told her to do what she had to do. She actually told the dispatcher something like "he's going to break the sliding door, I'm putting the phone down". Then you could hear the glass break and the shotgun fire. I'm gonna' have to see if I still have that file somewhere. That event spurred me to get a HD shotgun.

Edit: Don't know if the entire call is on here, but here's the story.
    Edit II: Apparently the videos don't work anymore.

Woman Shoots Intruder During 911 Call - CBS News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z_2oU9B2o

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    That took a tremendous amount of courage from someone who has already gone through more than she should at her age. Does anyone know if she is cared for? Is there a fund we should be contributing to?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm assuming it took a long time for the police to arrive because of her home's location, but I don't know that for sure. She did what she had to do. Kudos to her.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Just shows how screwed up the laws are for the good people, you shouldn't feel like you have to ask the 911 operator if it is o.k. to shoot someone breaking into your home. That should be common sense! Thumbs up to her for taking charge and making that headline instead of Single Mother and Newborn Child Found Raped and Murdered In Own Home by Robber!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, and I hate this story more and more. What kind of world do we live in when we have to check and make sure that it's alright to protect our lives? Ridiculous. I'd give her a +1 if she just reacted and did what was right, rather with checking with an "authority" first.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Holy crap.
    That was full of all kinds of cry. That poor girl... :(
    She must have been scared out of her mind for her baby and herself.
    ONE minute is an eternity to go through something like that...but on hold with 911 for Twenty-one minutes??
    That poor girl...
    this was my thoughts to. Hope she has a good support team around her to help her go through all this. It's got to be a lot.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    If you've got a gun.... you should know it's OK to shoot an intruder. You shouldn't have to ask someone else's permission.

I'm glad this turned out OK, but that part of the story is just weird.
    Not weird at all. Great evidence if she had to go to court. Pretty damn smart for a 18 year old. Covered all her bases. To bad the other ass hat is out on bail.

Top Bottom