• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I'm thinking of getting my son and daughter (9 and 6) a youth rifle of their own to teach them how to shoot. I was thinking of the crickett brand youth rifle for my 6 year old, but for my son who is actually almost 10 I'm thinking he may be too big for this model of gun. I was hoping to browse this upcoming indy 1500 for some good deals, knowing I can get a new crickett for $109 at Walmart, my hopes were to spend no more than that on each. Any suggestions on what to look for at the gun show which may be a step up from crickett but smaller than an adult 22?

Thanks!
    Bjswifty

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    B.J.
    I bought a Rossi single shot break action for my sons. It's the model with two barrels: .22 and 20 gauge. It's been a good gun for both of them. The gun is youth size and a good fit. They can both plink and hunt. Single shot makes them think before they shoot: one shot has got to count. Loud tho, with the 20 gauge barrel. My oldest has graduated. He bought a Mossberg 500 bantam. Once he gets a little bigger, he can switch out the stock for a longer one. The bantam comes with a receipt for half off once he goes to switch it.

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    I also chose the Rossi two barrel youth model for my children, in .22 LR and .410. It has worked well for teaching both of my kids to shoot. My son is now nine and has moved on to other firearms but still shoots the Rossi very comfortably. My daughter is about to turn seven and handles the little Rossi with confidence.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was having a predicament deciding what to use for my son that would last him until his teens. After being disappointed in the Crickett rifle quality I found a Remington 514 Youth single shot 22. it was $129 and as Remington owns Marlin, its bolt action is the same solid reliable Marlin action I enjoy in other marlin rimfire bolt guns.

Highly recommend it. Here is the link to the thread I wrote about it originally: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/194302-remington_514_youth_new_model.html

j5v7gj.jpg

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Mtnbiker,
    Like yur post script.

All,
    For 8th grade graduation, oldest was given a 10/22. Youngest wants a lever action. . . Rossi fit the bill until they got a little older to decide what they wanted.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I would go with the Remington 514, Marlin, or Savage youth models. The bolt action will have much, much better trigger pull. And the break action guns like the Rossi are a pain to load if you are shooting off a bench...you have to re-adjust the rifle between shots. For my son, i had an old beat up marlin that i removed the buttplate drilled two 3/8th inch holes 5 inches deep, and then cut 3 inches off the stock. After he out grew the short stock, i took two 3/8th dowel rods and glued the stock back together, a little sanding and it worked fine.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    They grow up fast, I got ruger 10/22s. We also joined 4-H shooting sports but have not shot yet, I think they teach with single shot bolt actions just to keep the boys from blowing through the ammo so fast. When we go out shooting next time we are going to concentrate on 3-shot groups, 3 shots then go check and mark, then 3 more. They did good last time with the 10/22s but they were all over the targets.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    This might be a little early, but my 4 year old little girl was shooting a 10/22. Took a 10/22 put it on a tapco with adjustable stock put it all the way forward. Set it on sand bags on a bench bilt for a 4 yr old. Put out a target @ 20 yrd, put in a 10 rd mag turned on the red dot and let her go. She did really well and loved every minute of it. A 10/ 22 will last a lifetime and are very adaptable.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Marlin 514 is the answer. I had luck finding one at Dick's. With a Nikon 4X, my boy is thrilled to be able to put bullets right where he wants them, and he is a terrible shot.

It's a re-branded Marlin XT-22Y. As such, it requires 2 Weaver #12 scope bases.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    See, another vote for the 514. Great youth rifle. BTW, it does have dovetail grooves in the receiver for mounting of telescopic sights, so although it will accept the Weaver bases, its not a necessity. I put a $15 2-7x15 Tasco on my boys rifle. Here is a comparison pic of my Marlin 981T and my 5yr olds 514 for comparison.
    34r96r4.jpg

bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for all of the helpful input! I'll be keeping my eye out for that 514! Thanks for the comparison pictures too, that also helps a lot!

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    BJ,
    Well, one more thought about the Rossi. Seems there are votes for a bolt action 514 or the 10/22. But you are limited in what you can do with them relative to hunting. I wanted a gun that the boys could shoot pheasant with, hence, I bought the Rossi. I didn't want to buy two guns. If target shooting and plinking is what you want to do, then by all means, by the Ruger or the Marlin. The break action .22 takes patience and the boys were often asking to shoot my 10/22 when we were plinking. If you are on a budget and hunting is part of the plan, then buy the Rossi. You can do both plinking and hunting. The Rossi continues to be used by my youngest. He shot 5 pheasants with it the last time we went out. I've got a pic someplace of the first bird my oldest shot. It was both awesome for him and a proud moment for me.

krisl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    L.O.P.

What is the L.O.P. on the 514?

I've got a 4 yr old and I'm looking for his first gun for his 5th birthday. He held a T/C Hot shot, and it fit him perfectly with the 11.5" L.O.P. I can't quite see spending the $209 plus tax that I could get it for. The 514 sounds great, but my father-in-law measured one today and said it was "about 13"". I know my browning lever action is only 13.5" and it is way too big for him. But, that could be more to do with the balance of it; it is about 36.5" long. I don't think he can do over 12" or so. He has toy guns that look awkard that are between 12 and 13 inches (L.O.P.).

Mtnbiker, how tall is your son, if you don't mind me asking? My son seems pretty tall (~46").

Thanks for your help.

rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    I would recommend staying with bolt, lever, or pump actions for first guns. Will save a lot of ammo, and help with accuracy.

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I like the crickets my dad got me one when I was about 8 or 9 and I shot it a lot learned all the basics of safety on it and it is simple and reliable

Top Bottom