Teachers flock for free gun training classes!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    You know nothing about me. Don't presume you do just because I'm willing to voice my concern about the across the board arming of teachers.

You know nothing about the teachers in schools. Don't presume you do just because you have an opinion.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    The stereotyping is pretty bad. I think there are a lot more moderates than there are real true liberals or conservatives. The media would have us believing the opposite. Now when it comes to the politicians, that's something altogether different.

We should set the bar here, not stoop to the level of people like Piers Morgan.

I would like no gun free zones, trained teachers with firearms and more/better mental healthcare. I'm not going to get it by arguing with people that believe the same things I do and I surely will not get it by acting like an @ss.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I see two significant problems with this characterization.

First, just because someone is a teacher, that does not automatically make such a person ignorant or hostile toward guns, so it is not a tenable conclusion to assume that all teachers who would gravitate toward carrying now are ignoramuses scared into doing so. You would probably be surprised to learn that I bought my first handgun from one of my professors (who held an FFL at the time).

Second, in the event of an active shooter situation, would you prefer a potentially (but not necessarily) jumpy teacher with a gun between your child and the attacker, or would you prefer you child being absolutely defenseless? Sometimes a less than perfect solution is better than none whatsoever. You also fail to account for the fact that composure under pressure is as much a function of one's nature as of training.

:+1: My wife is a teacher, and she does not have a LTCH but she made mention that if it was an option for her she would do so. She has also made mention that many of her co-workers (teachers) have no issues with a teacher possessing a firearm for incidents such as Sandy Hook.

2ndAmendmentdefender

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indiana
    Anyone can take a basic marksmanship course. What I want to know is who is going to train teachers how to stay cool under fire. Police and military train constantly for that. As well as gun enthusiasts. I imagine many armed teachers would panic and make the situation worse in an active shooter situation.

Not really crazy about the idea of an armed panicked teacher near my kid.

Better an armed panicky teacher facing down a gun blasting killer, than an unarmed panicky teacher facing down an a gun blasting killer with no recourse!

I have faith in Human Courage in the face of danger!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As I posted in another thread, I think it's fantastic to see people, at the local levels, taking actions to protect themselves and people they care about--and the instructors that are donating their training resources. This sort of thing is what makes the country great.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    Since approximately 2005 or 06, all teachers and school authorities in Isreal have to be trained and certified to carry if they want to continue in their jobs. Since that time, school shootings have become virtually none existent.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    My wife is an elementary school teacher at a urban school. I would like to see here be able to carry at school, especially when she goes in on the weekends to catch up on lesson plans and stuff, but she teaches several special education classes and regularly has to restrain students who get out of control. While restraining students, she is in direct physical contact with them and it would be an accident waiting to happen if she were to carry on her person. I would like to see the administrators be able to carry and more LEO presence in their school, but for teaches i think the probability is too high that a disrespectful student grabs the wrong place..... and BANG!!!

Top Bottom