• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brett T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I picked up a couple ML's the other day and when cleaning the them the brush got stuck in the new englender I have the barrel off and it looks like you take a punch to the pin on the breech but not sure. Thanks to any help I own 4 inlines but this is my first side hammer and honestly a little lost dissasembling it

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I'm not sure what you are asking, need some more explanation.

If I understand, something is stuck in the barrel? You want to open the breech and get it out from the other end?

The breech plug in these is not intended to be removed. The safest way to clear the barrel is with a small charge of compressed air on the nipple and blow it out. Most gun shops have cans of unloader co2.

For thorough cleaning you should remove the nipple. There is also a screw below the nipple that covers the charge area called the drum. I usually remove the nipple for cleaning and put the breech into a sink or tub of soapy water. Work the cleaning patch up and down rinsing water back and forth. Then dry it, a low temp oven works well, lube it and store.

If the brush got stuck there must be a reason. Perhaps there is some rust in the barrel. If so there is a great way to get it out. Stainless steel shavings are great. Put a few pieces on a cleaning jig and it will cut rust right off. Some abrasive kitchen scrubber pads are perfect for this.

If this doesn't work report back. There is another trick, but it is a little riskier. The New Englander is what I use for muzzleloader season and it would be a shame to not return one to usefulness.

brett T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Shelbyville
    thanks and yes I have a brush stuck in the bottom of the barell I will try the compressed air and hope that I dont have to go to the risky way cus im sure It is a little blk powder lol but what ever it takes to get it out.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I have used a very small charge of powder, nowhere near a full load- just a "pinch", to dislodge objects. Not really an uncommon predicament. I've seen this issue come up on several forums over the years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have used a very small charge of powder, nowhere near a full load- just a "pinch", to dislodge objects. Not really an uncommon predicament. I've seen this issue come up on several forums over the years.
    I've done that too, when a charge failed to fire because of some oil residue after cleaning. I removed the nipple and poured just a few grains of powder in, replaced the nipple and fired with a fresh cap. Of course the full charge was in there, and ignited when I did this, so I don't know if just the small amount of powder I put in would dislodge a brush...

brett T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Thanks I tried everything then went to powder the first time it didnt ignite so I added another 30 grain and it got the job done thanks.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Dropping some powder into the drum is the way to do it, but always try the less explosive way first. Did it clean up well enough to use this year?

Top Bottom