• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Probably a long shot but looking for someone familiar with the workings of a TC Contender. My bought new in 1989 TC recently quit working. Can cock the hammer and pull the trigger but hammer does not fall. In NE Indiana .

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Probably a long shot but looking for someone familiar with the workings of a TC Contender. My bought new in 1989 TC recently quit working. Can cock the hammer and pull the trigger but hammer does not fall. In NE Indiana .
    Email me, there are 2 great 'smith's here in the fort Wayne area.....

Have you disassembled every thing and looked for gummy/broken parts?

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I've got two on my bench right now.

I also have the book and tools....

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    You don't use wd40 do you? A buddy had me look at his for the same problem. And the hammer was just sticky from congealed wd40.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    You don't use wd40 do you? A buddy had me look at his for the same problem. And the hammer was just sticky from congealed wd40.
    No , never use WD40 on my TC or any other of my guns. The hammer moves freely with tension , no stickiness. Got a few message responses here and will be taking to the TC to someone soon.

Had a guy from another state saying I could just ship the TC frame through the mail since its not a complete gun. Well its the part with the serial number! If I buy a frame online has to go through a FFL so I decided this was not something I was going to do.

Reactions: Leo

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    No , never use WD40 on my TC or any other of my guns. The hammer moves freely with tension , no stickiness. Got a few message responses here and will be taking to the TC to someone soon.

Had a guy from another state saying I could just ship the TC frame through the mail since its not a complete gun. Well its the part with the serial number! If I buy a frame online has to go through a FFL so I decided this was not something I was going to do.
    I know it wasn't me...

Side note, you may want to compare your vehicle to your firearm. You cannot give an estimate over the phone, email, or forum. This is a parts worthy machine, much like your vehicle.

Best of luck to you in your repairs.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I know it wasn't me...

Side note, you may want to compare your vehicle to your firearm. You cannot give an estimate over the phone, email, or forum. This is a parts worthy machine, much like your vehicle.

Best of luck to you in your repairs.
    It was guy out west , like in Utah , that said to ship it USPS.

Last edited:

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Used to be a guy name Mike Bellm, I think in Oklahoma that's a wizard with them.
    It's been a while since I've really messed with my Contenders, but I seem to remember that the locking bolt had a fair bit to do with the hammer falling.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Used to be a guy name Mike Bellm, I think in Oklahoma that's a wizard with them.
    It's been a while since I've really messed with my Contenders, but I seem to remember that the locking bolt had a fair bit to do with the hammer falling.
    Yeah it was started by his dad around 1979. I have an appointment to have the gun looked at this weekend outside of Indy.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Thank you, sir!
    You're welcome!

It was starting to frustrate me. Everything was how it should be, but was not operating. I was about to take a whiskey and cigar break when the light hit the rear of the mechanism just right. I saw, what I thought to be, a slight crack in the coil of the sear spring. I took the pin out to remove it and sure enough, came out in two pieces. Ordered a new spring, put it in, and viola! Functioned like a champ!

Just another example of how whiskey and cigars make everything better.

Top Bottom