• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I've decided I want to use my tax return to purchase a new (or slightly used) handgun. In the past I have always had a 9mm but I was wanting to see what thoughts were on the pros and cons to having a 9mm vs. 45. I have decided I want to go with a glock. So please help enlighten me so i can make a better informed decision

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have zero knowledge about .45 glocks.

i do however, have a decent knowledge of 9mm glocks and i'm a huge fan.
    is this your first gun and/or handgun?

your question is a loaded one really. you only state you're looking at calibers, not a model itself.
    fullsize, compact, your intended use, etc.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have had a 9mm glock in the past as well has a 40 xdm springfield, but I didnt have those guns very long. Currently I only have a 1953 mosin nagant I am slowly adding parts too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    9mm = cheaper to shoot, lower recoil if all else is equal, and higher capacity in the same size magazine.

.45 = Arguably superior terminal ballistics, especially if there is an intermediate barrier. Cool factor. Yup, I said it, .45 is simply cooler than 9mm.

That's the basics. You can read a ton of caliber war information of why someone's pet caliber is better than the other guy's pet caliber on any given gun forum, all of which will contradict another post that's equally well researched and reasoned, and ultimately useless. Shoot whichever one you're most comfortable with accuracy and speed wise.

*Disclaimer*
    I prefer .45.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    go with a glock 21! Full size 45 and all around great gun! My personal favorite! Gotta love pure kinetic energy with a 45. Though you cant go wrong with a G19 either... Obviously I am biased.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Glock .45 ACP

My first .45 ACP was a Glock 21. I like the Glocks we have, 23 & 27, but I just didn't like the 21 so I sold it. SR1911? I like it! I hope you can find a gun you like. I hope you can find a gun..........

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've read a bit about this, just not sure whats the best for me. I'm not sure if I'll really ever carry a gun with me at all time (still think I should pick up a life time conceal carry licence just in case) but I would like to get some thing that will be fun to shoot and thats not going to break the bank if I want to go shoot 60 or 70 rounds in an afternoon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've read a bit about this, just not sure whats the best for me. I'm not sure if I'll really ever carry a gun with me at all time (still think I should pick up a life time conceal carry licence just in case) but I would like to get some thing that will be fun to shoot and thats not going to break the bank if I want to go shoot 60 or 70 rounds in an afternoon.

If cost is the primary consideration, 9mm hands down.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Can't go wrong with any glock IMO. I really prefer my glock 19 out of all the glocks I have owned or shot. Mush cheaper ammo, higher mag capacity, and not as heavy as .45. As far as "stopping power" yes .45 has more...but it's really about shot placement. A double tap of 9 to the heart will put foe down just as effectively as .45. This all be said the .45 glocks are a great option too.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    9mm is slightly easier to get atm and has always been cheaper. Both calibers are good, no argument about both of their positives. Why kick a dead horse argument about their supposed superiority over each other, they're both fine calibers.

If you want to shoot a lot get the 9 because you'll burn through it and it'll be easier on the wallet.

Get a good Glock, M&P or XDM in either caliber and you'll be happy.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I've never shot a m&p I'll have to check those out.

To me Glocks and M&Ps feel the same. The M&P probably has better sights but that's pretty subjective.

I don't really care for XDMs. Not that they aren't built to spec and they have a nice heavy feel to them which I think is a bonus (they're heavier then either a Glock or a M&P). But what bugs me is the grip safety on them. Grip safeties are kindy freaky imo. My 1911 has one obviously but when that gun was designed holsters were flap over design and not strap based. The gun literally dropped into a large bag which was fitted for it... it's different now
    With modern holster design those straps are a liability if they're depressing that grip safety. Let's not get started about paddle holsters, I know. Not everyone likes carrying them though. I can roll with a strap on my holster on my 1911 because I have two other safeties to rely on and cocked and locked is 1911 culture ( I digress).

XDM is as fine a gun as I have shot. Nice finish, isn't ammo picky, has a nice heavy well made feel to it, it's hammerless with a grip safety.

><... maybe it's just me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    What tax return?

So I've decided I want to use my tax return to purchase a new (or slightly used) handgun. In the past I have always had a 9mm but I was wanting to see what thoughts were on the pros and cons to having a 9mm vs. 45. I have decided I want to go with a glock. So please help enlighten me so i can make a better informed decision

IRS is holding back payment of them. But why would you have a tax return if you withhold the proper taxes throughout the year? I don't want the government holding onto my money!

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I vote 9mm just based on a few points you made in different posts.

If you are not even sure you will carry then that makes me want to vote for 9mm. Why? Cheaper to shoot, and the ballistic advantage is negated if you arent going to carry.

If you are primarilly going to use it for the range once again 9mm is cheaper and therefore you will be able to train more and in turn be more proficient.

my reccomendation would br this...
    ~ Go with the 9mm.
    ~If you know that you will not carry and it will be only a range/HD gun
    go with a G17. (More rounds per magazine, meaning less loading mags
    at the range, and more bullets in a home defense situation.
    ~If you think that carry will be in your future, I would reccomend
    the G19 just because its lighter, and easier to conceal. Unless of
    course you have the disposable funds for a dedicated carry piece
    whenever that time comes.

Get your hands on some stuff, Im just some guy on the internet that you dont know. See what feels right, shoot what you can, go from there.

Good Luck

Cannonfodder333

Shooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    It depends on what you want to use the gun for...I like to carry 9 and use 45 for home defense....keep in mind however 9 is really hard to find right now and so is 45. If you like shooting 45 then I recommend it, I have a glock 30 and love it, I also have a 19 and 26 and they are just as good. It's really a personal preference int opinion

Top Bottom