• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posttal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    I just last week bought a PINK..yeah I said pink..Taurus TCP for the wife and a BLACK Ruger LCP for me after we both received our CCW permits.I fired both this past weekend.Neither of them are exactly fun to shoot.There ok but if you have medium to large hands your only getting 2 fingers on the grip.I've got the pinky extension on mine but it doesn't make a big difference.BUT on the good side.I fired 2 mags from both at 15 and 20 yrds and the grouping on both you could cover with your hand.Considering I bought them for there concealment value I'm fine with them..there small and feel good in the hand.But after just 1 mag your hand starts to feel it since your not really gripping it completely.But there for protection not target practice.As far as which is better.Its like the old Ford VS Chevy.There both accurate at 15-20 yards..they both have small sights BUT a drop of white paint on the front makes a world of difference.Trigger pull is a bit better on the Taurus and the main difference..the slide stays open after the last shot on the Taurus.My local dealer who was looking for TCP for me called me not knowing i already bought my guns.but I'm going to look at what he has and if its as new as my LCP..i might trade him.Pound for pound there pretty much the same..but i do like the slide staying open on the TCP

drobpk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Indy and South Florida
    OK - Anybody own a Taurus 905. I like the idea of a 9MM revolver because of the cheap and plentiful ammo, but I understand that the moon clips are flimsy and there are problems with ammo jams. The other negative I've heard is that they kick like a mule. Anyone have one??

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    I have a Taurus 905

Yep, kicks pretty hard.....but I still love it! There's just something about it...it feels good, shoots good....I guess what I'm trying to say is...I think it's pretty good. I MUCH prefer shooting it compared to my S&W 642.

drobpk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Indy and South Florida
    Yep, kicks pretty hard.....but I still love it! There's just something about it...it feels good, shoots good....I guess what I'm trying to say is...I think it's pretty good. I MUCH prefer shooting it compared to my S&W 642.

Thanks for the input. My wife has a S&W 442, which we both like real well. are you using the original Moon Clips? or did you get some aftermarket moon clips?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Don't get me wrong, I like my Taurus. I like the Taurus models my father has also. Its a no brained though, buy a Ruger revolver and don't look back. They are made like tanks. Overbuilt like you wouldn't believe. They also retain their value. If price is an issue for you get a Taurus until you can afford to sell it and get a Ruger. Its better to have something than nothing.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Taurus quality can be a bit lacking.

I had to send back a Taurus that had some real serious issues....

They did honor their warranty, but it costs $50 to ship a handgun via UPS overnight.

I won't own a Taurus again.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I bought a 357 GP100 so I could target shot with 38 specials and still use 357's if I needed to. Two for the fprice of one. I don't know if they make a 9mm revolver.

Scott

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have my Taurus PT-111 at the Taurus factory getting some work done on it now. With the lifetime warranty, I am glad it only costed the shipping. I have had this pistol for a long time and have shot many rounds thru it, but it started to develope an extraction problem. Probably the extractor needs replace along with the springs. I should be getting it back in a couple of weeks. They said their warranty work was running about three to four weeks. I like that pistol and will not hesitate to buy another one.

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    Moon Clips

I am still using the original moon clips that came with the gun. If Ruger ever made a 9mm revolver, maybe I'd by one....but they don't.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Up until a couple weeks ago, I had a Ruger Redhawk .44 with 7.5 in barrel. Great revolver. Built like a tank and great feel to it. Shot fantastic with it also. Only problem for me was that with the 7.5 in barrel, it was just too big for my purposes. I mainly wanted to carry as a back up to the .44 rifle when deer hunting. If one should happen to slip in close enough, I want to try the pistol. So for me, I wanted a shorter barrel .44. So I went with the .44 tracker. So far so good. Of course it's not as fine a revolver as the Ruger but if you look at the MSRP's, the ruger is almost twice as much. So a compromise was made but for my use, the tracker will do fine. And that's what counts!!:D

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a taurus 38 special and a taurus 357 and i have never had problems with either. I have at least 500 through each of them and they are still going strong.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I purchased a Taurus TCP (738) this week, and on it's first trip to the range, it performed flawlessly with ball as well as with two different brands of JHP ammo. I am impressed with the workmanship of the pistol and like its trigger a lot better than the LCP. LRHO is a nice feature to have as well.

Target64, have you been able to find a holster for your 617? I am intrigued by that gun, but have held off as I wasn't sure how tough it would be to find accessories.

Top Bottom