• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I shipped through UPS, and they wouldn't do ground shipping. I believe it had to be second day air, and it cost $50. How did you ship?

OK..... There's a difference between a RULE and a LAW. :yesway:

The LAW does not require the shipper to send via air, that's a heavy-handed RULE by UPS. :noway:

The trick is that you tell the shippers that your shipping a "machine part" or similar, rather than a firearm. A firearm description is also a "steal me" alert too, IMHO!!! :patriot:

I sent my $400 "machine part" to Taurus last week and just got a notice yesterday that they got "my product" and it would be 5 to 6 weeks to fix. :n00b:

I was tipped-off on doing the above by a guy who does my plating for me a number of years ago. :cheers:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I shipped through UPS, and they wouldn't do ground shipping. I believe it had to be second day air, and it cost $50. How did you ship?
    FedEx and UPS both require that handguns be shipped over night. No exceptions.

You can ship via USPS from your dealer though, and they do not have any such requirement therefore it is much cheaper.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    OK..... There's a difference between a RULE and a LAW. :yesway:

The LAW does not require the shipper to send via air, that's a heavy-handed RULE by UPS. :noway:

The trick is that you tell the shippers that your shipping a "machine part" or similar, rather than a firearm. A firearm description is also a "steal me" alert too, IMHO!!! :patriot:

I sent my $400 "machine part" to Taurus last week and just got a notice yesterday that they got "my product" and it would be 5 to 6 weeks to fix. :n00b:

I was tipped-off on doing the above by a guy who does my plating for me a number of years ago. :cheers:
    That's a VERY bad idea, that is, if you want to insure your handgun. I would never ship a firearm uninsured. Over the last 20 years I've had one firearm lost and two seriously damaged in shipping. Without insurance, I would have been screwed.

And before you say you can insure machine parts too, that's true until it comes time for a damage claim and you have to show the item that's been damaged.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    That's a VERY bad idea, that is, if you want to insure your handgun. I would never ship a firearm uninsured. Over the last 20 years I've had two firearms lost and one seriously damaged in shipping. Without insurance, I would have been screwed.

And before you say you can insure machine parts too, that's true until it comes time for a damage claim and you have to show the item that's been damaged.

I insured it for $400. :yesway:
    :cheers:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I insured it for $400. :yesway:
    :cheers:
    The problem is, if you had to make a claim of damage your insurance would have been worthless and they wouldn't have refunded the insurance cost. So you would be out the money for the damage to the firearm and you would be out the cost of the insurance.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Why is that? :dunno:
    Have you ever made a claim for a damaged item to UPS before?

You should visit the UPS website. Their process is pretty much the same as FedEx's.

UPS: Damaged Package Claims Process

From UPS's website:

2. UPS Inspects Package if Required UPS will inspect the damaged package to determine the cause of damage and verify proper packing materials were used (in accordance with the shipping terms). UPS may inspect the package at the shipper's or receiver's site, or may collect the package for inspection at a UPS facility.

Once the UPS investigation is complete, a notification letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper. UPS will not send inspection information to the receiver of the package.
    Note that they will inspect the package. When I filed the claim they wanted to see the stock damage to the rifle I shipped.

Now, had I shipped a handgun and lied about the contents of the package, they would have denied my claim.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    You are welcome to your opinion, of course. But.... you do know what opinions are like... right??? ;)
    It's not an opinion, it's common sense.

Call 404-699-4898 and ask for Donna in Customer Service. I just spoke with her.

She will confirm what I've posted here as being true.

"Thanks for playing".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Full-Auto. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it does make sense that if you insure a "machine part" and file a claim on a "handgun" (which they will see upon inspection), there's going to be a discrepancy. I would imagine you're right and it would result in a denial of your claim.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks Full-Auto. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it does make sense that if you insure a "machine part" and file a claim on a "handgun" (which they will see upon inspection), there's going to be a discrepancy. I would imagine you're right and it would result in a denial of your claim.
    I know for a fact it would result in a claim denial. :D

But we do have options. If you talk with your FFL holder you can ship through them via USPS and it won't cost any more than lying to UPS to ship your firearms ground. The difference is you can actually insure your firearm through USPS and make a claim if it's damaged in transit.

Top Bottom