• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    are they not adjustable? I thought all sights were adjustable

Nope. Many (nowadays, most) defensive guns have fixed sights. You can drift them (knock them from side to side) for windage adjustments, but that's usually about it short of changing the front or rear sight to one of a different height.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    They are right left adjustable, but not up down. Many combat pistols do not have elevation adjustment, if you want to change that you need to put in a different height front or rear sight.

How do you adjust them? I tried adjusting them on my son's PT145, and couldn't get the rear sight ot move left or right. I loosened the setscrew, but it would not shift side to side. Do you need to use a punch of some sort to drive it over?:dunno:

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    If its shooting low can you grind the front sight down or shim it up? or is that a bad Idea? can the sights be replaced with something else?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    How do you adjust them? I tried adjusting them on my son's PT145, and couldn't get the rear sight ot move left or right. I loosened the setscrew, but it would not shift side to side. Do you need to use a punch of some sort to drive it over?:dunno:

I haven't tried to drift the Heinie sight on my PT145, but with dovetail sights you can drift them carefully or you can buy a screw clamp thingy that moves them more precisely. If you drift them, don't use a hardened punch, use a brass or plastic one designed for it.

I check and see if the sights are truly off before I go messing with them, 9 times out of 10 it's the shooter, not the gun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    If its shooting low can you grind the front sight down or shim it up? or is that a bad Idea? can the sights be replaced with something else?

Usually it's a matter of replacing the sights with something more in line with your shooting requirements. There's tons of aftermarket sights out there. Unless you are going the tritium route they aren't all that expensive generally.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a PT-111 and I like the feel that it has in my hand, it feels like I was born with it there so I will see when I actually fire it off this weekend what it does.

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    So the 24/7 will take an aftermarket sight? Any recommendations on maker or style of aftermarket sight?

I read somewhere online that instead of buying night sights you can use glow in the dark paint? not sure if its true or not I read it somewhere while researching the taurus's.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    So the 24/7 will take an aftermarket sight? Any recommendations on maker or style of aftermarket sight?

I read somewhere online that instead of buying night sights you can use glow in the dark paint? not sure if its true or not I read it somewhere while researching the taurus's.

Do a google search on 24/7 sights and you'll find plenty of options. The problem with sights is that they are very personal kinds of things and everyone has an opinion.

As far as glow in the dark paint, it sort of works, but isn't really a good option for a nightstand gun. It works some if you are going from a brightly lit area to a dim one and you've used very high quality paint (not all glow in the darks are equal!), but it isn't a substitute for real tritium sights and pretty much useless after 10-15 minutes in the dark.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Im thinking of switching to the Williams Firesights... Anyone had experience with these?

Had them on my PT145 Pro. Liked them. Very easy to see. Only downside, common to all fiber optic sights, is that they are relatively fragile compared to steel sights.

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I would but I like the lock Idea Taurus has. With children in the house I want all the safety I can get. As Far as I can tell Taurus is the only one with a key lock built in?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I would but I like the lock Idea Taurus has. With children in the house I want all the safety I can get. As Far as I can tell Taurus is the only one with a key lock built in?

Smith and Wesson revolvers have one, and you can get the M&P with one also.

Though Smith's version has reportedly been known to lock up unintentionally, and at bad times.... like in the middle of a gun fight :eek:

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Wow that sounds like a bad thing..... hold on Bad guy let me unlock my gun again.... I think I will stick to the Taurus. Im just not one for revolvers either

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I just cant seem to find a 24/7 pro for sale anywhere.... I have called around and no place seems to have one.. Bradis, ITP, Gander, 21st, Dons,

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Both 24/7s I've had have had malfunctions. They work like a mule and eat anything you put through it, but keep a good eye on your sights because they tend to go out of alignment with harder ammo than target/whitebox. No joke, I shot at a target from 10 feet away and hit WAY off! Took it to pops and they took care of it no problem. Now the very first pistol I bought was a 24/7 in .40 (both are) and that was when they first came out in 07. That thing is awesome, was my EDC til I got the 1911 bug. I would suggest it in 45 as the 40 seems to be quite snappy on the recoil for a polymer gun, IMO. either way, think hard about your purchase, be safe, and ENJOY

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I just cant seem to find a 24/7 pro for sale anywhere.... I have called around and no place seems to have one.. Bradis, ITP, Gander, 21st, Dons,

Man don't ever go to Don's. Pops has a few that are in the 350 range. I went to Don's when I was shopping for mine ($394 at Pops) Don's had them for 500, which is the MSRP from Taurus back then.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom