• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here are some new pictures of my Taurus family including the new addition, the TCP.

002.jpg

003.jpg

016.jpg

007.jpg

Very nice!!! :rockwoot:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    My cousin has a model 66 SS with a 6" barrel. Great shooters and and has held up well for him.
    I'd like to get one in 4". I'm sold on the revolvers.
    Same cousin had a 709 that had issues. Anout a 3% failure rate over 600 rounds. It did imporve to where you could could get 5 or 6 mags in a row off w/o issue; then the next time out it would fte on the 3rd round. He sent it in and they fixed it. Customer service was good for him. He had no comlaints......
    I'm going to wait until he has another 200-300 downrange before I decide on getting my own 709. I DID love the way it shot!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Go to the Taurus 2010 web page and check out the new
    poly PT22 and the new poly revolvers....wow....:popcorn:

I'm kinda all hot and bothered by the 822, and the .22 conversion kit to let you fire .22s out of 800 series of pistols. In fact, the 800 series of pistols look interesting, and now I have to go research those, too.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm kinda all hot and bothered by the 822, and the .22 conversion kit to let you fire .22s out of 800 series of pistols. In fact, the 800 series of pistols look interesting, and now I have to go research those, too.

Ummmmmffff......

Got to check this out, .22 conversion kit for the 800 series, looks like it's gonna make my 809 shoot cheaper!!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Help Needed w/ Malfunctioning 709 Slim

Friends and Taurii Lovers,

Clearly I am in the right place to get some help! I recently bought the 709 Slim from mjrducky on :ingo:. I took it to the range yesterday for the first time. It handled well. I really like the small size, as it fits my hands very well. It was as accurate as it could have been given that I am still learning the art. I consistently hit the torso, but it pulled down left more than I like to admit.

mjrducky assured me he had no trouble with the weapon before I bought it from him. I understood him to mean that he personally had no FTF or FTE issues with it. To be fair, he may not have SAID that, but he did allow me to believe it. This leads me to think there is a problem with either my handling of the weapon, my ammo or, most likely, the gun. I am posting here not to bash a fellow :ingo:er; I add this info only to give background to my problem and to ask for help on fixing it. :coffee:

Range report. All firing was done at H&H's FWA range @7-10 yds (no authoritative statement has been given about the distance to the first red line marker). The 709 Slim is 9mm Luger. I have 7+1 mags but only loaded to seven (or used the remaining of the box or ammo type in the second mag).

First set of Mags 10 rounds
    Ammo: Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX.
    Three (3) failure to fire
    one (1) FTE.
    Failure to fire was due to the FTE. I tested the automatic reset of the trigger before examining the problem. Wanted to see if it worked as advertised.

Second set of Mags 8 rounds
    Ammo: Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection 124gr GDHP
    one (1) FTE.

Third set of mags 12 rounds
    Ammo: Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection 124gr GDHP (finished the box)
    one (1) FTE.

Fourth set of mags 14 rounds
    Ammo: Lellier & Bellot 115gr FMJ
    one (1) FTE.

Fifth set of mags 14 rounds
    one (1) FTE

Sixth set of mags 20 rounds, reloaded to finish box
    Four (4) FTE:facepalm:

Seventh set of mags. 28 rounds, reloaded both mags and fired on same target
    Ammo: Winchester 115gr FMJ
    Nine (9) FTE.:xmad:

Eighth set of mags. SWITCHED TO GLOCK 26 - 22 rounds
    Ammo: Winchester 115gr FMJ
    Performed flawlessly. :rockwoot: Every round fired as scheduled, and my accuracy improved noticeably!:draw:

Ninth set of mags, again with G26
    Ammo: Hormady Critical Defense 115gr FTX
    Performed flawlessly.

I will not post photos of the targets. :rolleyes:

So, I have a problem. The 709 failed on every mag with every type of ammo. I paid attention to the limp wrist issue after the first mags. Grip was solid. The problem is that the empty casing remains fully or partially in the chamber, no stove pipes. Some of the FTEs could only be cleared by physically rapping the weapon against my free hand with weapon pointed up to increase the gravitational pull on the empty to get it to fall out of the chamber.

So, what do I do next?:dunno:
    Option 1: Call the seller for further info?:stickpoke::crying:
    Option 2: Grin and bear it?:noway:
    Option 3: Throw it in the Maumee and never buy anything but a Glock again?:soapbox:
    Option 4: Contact a local gunsmith, e.g. H & H or Gander Mountain?
    Option 5: Contact the manufacturer?

Of course, this is what I do after screaming at the 709, instructing it in two languages to straighten up and act proper, and recovering from the chagrin of having my wife say, indirectly and politely but with the same sweet smile and intent, "I told you so."

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

I haven't heard of these converions. I wonder if they'll work with the 24/7 series of pistols.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Friends and Taurii Lovers,

So, I have a problem. The 709 failed on every mag with every type of ammo. I paid attention to the limp wrist issue after the first mags. Grip was solid. The problem is that the empty casing remains fully or partially in the chamber, no stove pipes. Some of the FTEs could only be cleared by physically rapping the weapon against my free hand with weapon pointed up to increase the gravitational pull on the empty to get it to fall out of the chamber.

So, what do I do next?:dunno:
    Option 1: Call the seller for further info?:stickpoke::crying:
    Option 2: Grin and bear it?:noway:
    Option 3: Throw it in the Maumee and never buy anything but a Glock again?:soapbox:

Well a failure to eject with the casing still in the chamber will not be the result of limp wristing, if you would have said stove pipe, then I would have agreed. So, either it is an extractor problem or obstruction in the chamber causing a constriction.

Make sure the chamber walls are free of any build up or foreign material and make sure it has been given a good cleaning.

Retry, but instead of your format that you used lumping both mags as one, note it as mag 1 results, mag 2 results.

If problem persists do not do options 1 through 4 because:
    Option 1: Call the seller for further info?
    The problem may have never occured with him

Option 2: Grin and bear it?
    No, it is an improperly operating firearm.

Option 3: Throw it in the Maumee and never buy anything but a Glock again?
    Don't throw it in the river it will only arm the fishes and add to the Animal Conspiracy, give it to me!:D

Having a gunsmith work on it could void the factory lifetime warranty.

YES!
    It has a lifetime warranty that Taurus stands behind whether you are the 1st or 19th owner, use it!

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I had a 357 5 shot revolver years ago and it apparently had a weak hammer spring as it would occasionally not fire the primer, it took 2 trips back to fix it but they did at no cost to me. Im thinking about the new slim 9mm, how does it compare in size to a kahr pm9?

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Never had a single problem with my PT1911, sold it for a glock 9mm though, much cheaper to shoot. This is the first time I have heard of them not feeding JHP, but of course I never shot them much out of my gun, they were so expensive

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    The "ribber" grips are amazing. My 24-7 is probably the most comfortable pistol I've ever fired. I had quite a few cops that were jealous of the grips and memory disks!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well a failure to eject with the casing still in the chamber will not be the result of limp wristing, if you would have said stove pipe, then I would have agreed. So, either it is an extractor problem or obstruction in the chamber causing a constriction.

Make sure the chamber walls are free of any build up or foreign material and make sure it has been given a good cleaning.

Retry, but instead of your format that you used lumping both mags as one, note it as mag 1 results, mag 2 results.

If problem persists do not do options 1 through 4 because:
    Option 1: Call the seller for further info?
    The problem may have never occured with him

Option 2: Grin and bear it?
    No, it is an improperly operating firearm.

Option 3: Throw it in the Maumee and never buy anything but a Glock again?
    Don't throw it in the river it will only arm the fishes and add to the Animal Conspiracy, give it to me!:D

Having a gunsmith work on it could void the factory lifetime warranty.

YES!
    It has a lifetime warranty that Taurus stands behind whether you are the 1st or 19th owner, use it!

Thought you Taurus devotees would appreciate an update on my 709 problems.

Update
    On top of my FTF and FTE problems, I must now report that the rear site fell of my Taurus 709 Slim. The good thing about that is that it removed any doubts about the proper course of action.

I called Taurus Customer Service. After a fifteen minute wait on hold I was able to speak with an agent. He asked what I needed.

I said, "I have a 709 that does not operate properly."

He asked, "What's the problem?"

I replied, "Failure to fire and failure to eject."

There was no hesitation before he asked, "Do you want me to have a Fed Ex agent pick it up on Monday between noon and 5:00pm?"

I got the impression he had done this many, many times before.

The saga continues. I will keep you informed.
    :popcorn: :nopity:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    There was no hesitation before he asked, "Do you want me to have a Fed Ex agent pick it up on Monday between noon and 5:00pm?"

I got the impression he had done this many, many times before.

The saga continues. I will keep you informed.
    :popcorn: :nopity:

Been lots of folks that have had complaints about having to ship their guns to Taurus on their dime, followed by long waits. Lately, I've been hearing about Taurus picking up the shipping tab, and getting the guns back a lot faster. Perhaps they are finally paying attention to customer complaints about the service!

Top Bottom