• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had my sites on a SR9c, in the future for a small conceal carry gun. I did not realize that you could get a revolver in 9mm. I looked at this model today, and liked it. I already have two 9mm's, so I already am stocking up on ammo. Anyone have any experience with one, and if so what are your thoughts?

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc=

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Taurus isn't currently making them - but they have in the past and there are a few that show up in the chain. I think Bud's has one (or they did a few weeks ago). A pistol caliber revolver has always been on my radar - but the Taurus isn't going to be it. Lots of bad dirt on the internet about them. Light strikes, cylinder binding, etc.

I chose to go with a PF9 instead.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a couple of their small fram .38 revolvers, which appear to be similar in design to this one.

My wife carries one, and I have another for a summer time pocket gun / glove box gun and really like them. The triggers are pretty heavy in DA operation, but not unreasonable.

My :twocents: is this would make a great pocket gun for a guy already invested in 9mm semi autos.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Charter Arms said they have had nothing but issues and dropped the line they planned to bring out (saw it on TFL).

The Taurus 9mm ones are really nice, but seem to have a lot more flaws from the factory than their .38 Spec model 85. If you get a good one, KEEP IT! :D Folks have suggested getting better moonclips or modifying the Smith ones as the Taurus ones are flimsy and VERY expensive compared to the Smith or aftermarket ones. The one or two I have shot are pretty nice for the money.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If I wanted a small revolver in 9mm I would skip the Taurus and buy a S&W J Frame in 38 and have TK Custom convert it to use 9mm in moon clips. Yes it would end up costing more than a Taurus but I would be happy to pay the extra for the reliability.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    If I wanted a small revolver in 9mm I would skip the Taurus and buy a S&W J Frame in 38 and have TK Custom convert it to use 9mm in moon clips. Yes it would end up costing more than a Taurus but I would be happy to pay the extra for the reliability.

I would just get a Jframe smith In .38 or .357

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would just get a Jframe smith In .38 or .357

I do not want to stock up on another caliber. One reason being, as I may be getting a .223 rifle in the near future also. Then that would be 2 new calibers to stock up on. If they are junk though, I want nothing to do with them. Just looking at options.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A friend of mine had a Taurus 905 for awhile. I shot it on a couple of occasions, and was really surprised how much felt recoil it had - even compared to the same gun in .38spl. Moon clips are a PITA in general, and we found that the ones available from Taurus were very finicky about ammo; some brands were very loose and wobbled in the clips, while other brands were held securely. Eventually he traded out of that gun and into a S&W J-frame .38.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I disagree with moon clips being a PITA...invest in a 10 dollar tool or make one from copper tubing and they are easy to deal with. The moon clips from TK Customs are not flimsy like the Taurus not do they alow excess play in the rounds being held. A full moon clip is the fastest revolver reload available.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I have had a few Taurii. Wont buy another, except maybe the 1911. They just arent built that well. The only "good" one I had was a 6" Model 689 in .357. That was a very good gun, wish I still had it.
    PT140 Millenium Pro .40 - didnt shoot straight
    Model 94, 9 Shot 22lr Snub - DA way too hard, cylinder hung up alot
    PT101 - FTE all the time
    I buy less expensive firearms, but would love to have a S&W, but they are way overpriced.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have had a few Taurii. Wont buy another, except maybe the 1911. They just arent built that well. The only "good" one I had was a 6" Model 689 in .357. That was a very good gun, wish I still had it.
    PT140 Millenium Pro .40 - didnt shoot straight
    Model 94, 9 Shot 22lr Snub - DA way too hard, cylinder hung up alot
    PT101 - FTE all the time
    I buy less expensive firearms, but would love to have a S&W, but they are way overpriced.

I have a 4" 689 and LOVE it, have had countless 85s and such. That 689 is an amazing piece, a bit thicker in some ares compared to the .357 K frame, but it's no L frame. A good mix :D

Unfortunately, most of your list there are the noted "trouble" guns in Taurus' line. Every 94 I have seen at the range was a POS, either in function or trigger and about avery Millenium was a hunk of crap (though one or two were "okay", triggers were horrid). I am glad they have the 24/7, MUCH better gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I do not want to stock up on another caliber. One reason being, as I may be getting a .223 rifle in the near future also. Then that would be 2 new calibers to stock up on. If they are junk though, I want nothing to do with them. Just looking at options.

What requires you to "stock up" for such a gun?

If this gun wouldn't be a high volume shooter, then why bother? E.G. - 'Plinkers', range guns, and 'SHTF' guns would logically require some substantial stock of ammunition due to their intended purpose but a gun that is carried often and shot little would not.

In mathmatical terms - My only 32acp, a frequent carry gun, holds a maximum of 8 rounds. I am a capable shot with this gun, but once a month I run a magazine though it just to remind myself of the recoil and sight picture, as well as practice my draw sequence. 8 x 12 = 96, so I use less than 100 rounds per year. 4 boxes of ammunition lasts me more than 2 years (25 months) for this carry gun.

The fundamentals of shooting are the SAME regardless of handgun type or caliber. Shooting other guns of the same trigger type helps me to retain muscle memory. The vast bulk of my shooting practice is done with .22 and 9mm handguns, but occasionally I remind myself of that specific guns particulars.

Thus I stay proficient with my cary gun(s), and I have no need to stock a lot of ammunition beyond .22 and 9mm. This same principal carries over into the long gun category; if I "stocked" ammunition for every gun I own, I would need to stock over a dozen calibers - .22, .32, 380, 9mm, .40, .45, .44, .17, .223, x39, 6.5, 303, 30-06, .410, 20ga, 12ga - with more to follow in the future.

I'm not worried about fighting off marauders after 'TEOTWAWKI' with my .17HMR or my 6.5 Swede, so why should I stock more ammo than I need for those calibers? They are specialized hunting tools for me - The 9mm and .223 are what I have chosen for serious purposes, so those are the calibers for which I stock extra.

This is just my own personal system, but it works well for me and for others in my family.

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    I just bought a 905 used last weekend.
    Seems to be a good gun. I reload and have noticed that if you're a little more conservative in your load the cases don't give you that much trouble coming out. Anyway....I like it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    What about the Ruger Sp101's? I know they were made in 9mm.
    Now, I know they are harder to find and looking around seem to be more money, but I would take the Sp101 over the Taurus.

Just a thought...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What requires you to "stock up" for such a gun?

If this gun wouldn't be a high volume shooter, then why bother? E.G. - 'Plinkers', range guns, and 'SHTF' guns would logically require some substantial stock of ammunition due to their intended purpose but a gun that is carried often and shot little would not.

In mathmatical terms - My only 32acp, a frequent carry gun, holds a maximum of 8 rounds. I am a capable shot with this gun, but once a month I run a magazine though it just to remind myself of the recoil and sight picture, as well as practice my draw sequence. 8 x 12 = 96, so I use less than 100 rounds per year. 4 boxes of ammunition lasts me more than 2 years (25 months) for this carry gun.

The fundamentals of shooting are the SAME regardless of handgun type or caliber. Shooting other guns of the same trigger type helps me to retain muscle memory. The vast bulk of my shooting practice is done with .22 and 9mm handguns, but occasionally I remind myself of that specific guns particulars.

Thus I stay proficient with my cary gun(s), and I have no need to stock a lot of ammunition beyond .22 and 9mm. This same principal carries over into the long gun category; if I "stocked" ammunition for every gun I own, I would need to stock over a dozen calibers - .22, .32, 380, 9mm, .40, .45, .44, .17, .223, x39, 6.5, 303, 30-06, .410, 20ga, 12ga - with more to follow in the future.

I'm not worried about fighting off marauders after 'TEOTWAWKI' with my .17HMR or my 6.5 Swede, so why should I stock more ammo than I need for those calibers? They are specialized hunting tools for me - The 9mm and .223 are what I have chosen for serious purposes, so those are the calibers for which I stock extra.

This is just my own personal system, but it works well for me and for others in my family.

I do things differently. I want something in a caliber I already have. That means one less ammo, I have to spend money on. That would also give me multiple guns in the same caliber. Which to me makes more sense, then buying something in a different caliber.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Recoil is pretty stout for a 9mm. The moon clips are a joke, after using them twice they are all bent out of shape. Try +p rounds and hold on tight it will kick quite a bit. Overall it functions fine, but for a snub nose revolver there are much better choices.

bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    I just bought the SR9, not the compact but the full sized and love it!! I have put almost 500 rounds through it and no problems. It has a nice safety feature too that shows when you have a round chambered. Nice gun for the money. I have owned many Taurus handguns in the past and have been disappointed in most of them. I had two different models that had the same FTE problem. I would fire the first round of a clip and it would discharge the spent shell. They do have a lifetime warranty though, so I had no problem getting it fixed.

Top Bottom