• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    738SS.jpg

Just got a few of these in at the shop (sold them all today) and was pretty impressed. .380 caliber, 6+1, about the same size/weight class as the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT, and priced to split the difference between its competitors.

First impressions - light, smooth DAO trigger pull was better than the KT or the Ruger. Gun locks open on empty and features an actual, usable slide release. Sights, while still integral to the slide, are slightly higher profile than the others. Front would need to be highlighted with paint; my eyes don't do well with non-contrasting (in this case all-silver) sights. Grip is short (height wise) but a comfortable depth (front to back) for my average-to-large hands. Magazines have an extended rearward lip on the baseplate and are kinda funky; gun includes two, as well as a snap-cover carrying case with belt clip.

If they shoot as good as they look and feel, the TCP is going to be a winner.
    If you're in the market for a micro .380, I recommend you give the Taurus a look.

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thanks for a fair review of the gun. I'd love to get my hands on one to try it out. Taurus has come a long way, as I understand it. I hope this isn't one of those tools that Taurus wasn't a rush to get this out on the market before Christmas and end up being recalled for afterthought work.

I keep kicking around the idea of getting a pistol in this size and caliber but the cost of .380ACP makes me want to practice. Philosophically, I should probably stick 9mm but I'm okay with having a more diverse gun collection...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Personally, I'm still waiting on the Kahr P380s to become more readily available, but offerings like the TCP and possibly the new Diamondback are going to put a serious dent in P3AT/LCP sales.

Lilsoup

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    The wife has been hounding me for a carry gun, this could be a winner, if its anything like my PT111.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They have come a LONG way indeed.

This just looks like ANOTHER Taurus I'll be wanting to add to the growing collection!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Yeah..

We got one in on Friday, and I got to handle it a bit. I prefer my Sig P238 after owning a LCP and P3AT. Just another clone as pretty much all .380's are today including my P238, but it feels and handles like a pistol should. IMPO.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    is that thing modular? the serial number looks like the sig p250s

Construction is much like the Kel-Tec P11/PF9, PT-111 and PT-709 in that the "receiver" is a metal chassis that sits inside a plastic grip housing. The window in the grip housing allows the serial number on the metal chassis to be seen.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Just bought one from the Shooter the other day looking forward to getting it to the range but i'm at the hospital with the wife now having our second little girl. So have to push range day back a couple.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I think I'll stick with the Kahr for now. Finally got one in and really like it, now to put a set of big dot sights on it! I think the flood gates opened up on this little pistol, recenty got in two more after the first one.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Just bought one from the Shooter the other day looking forward to getting it to the range but i'm at the hospital with the wife now having our second little girl. So have to push range day back a couple.

NOT to Thread Jack BUT Congratulations on the new addition ;) and the new little one Too :yesway: but the wife did all of the real work :D

GlockMan40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Well i have had one for about a month now and i put about 400 rounds throught it allready. At first it had a few misfeeds (I think it was the ammo)and it is very particular with the PMC Bronze ammo. For some reason it does not like it.
    Ok for range ammo but not self defense. It will not load the first round with out a little push at the back of the slide after that it will fire the rest in the clip.
    It does feed Buffalo Bore +p, Georgia Arms Ammo, Lellier & Bellot and CorBon DPX with no problems. So far that is what i have tried. The little .380 is a fine piece and it is very accurate for such a small gun. I am very happy with it so far. And for the price you cant beat it. I purchased mine for $328.00.
    On another note stay away from the DiamondBack .380. My buddy bought one for $400.00 and its been to the shop 2 times already. They replaced everything but the barrel and receiver and it still dosent work right. After 50 to 70 rounds. it just stops working. Piece of crap. To bad because the gun is realy nice.
    This test was on a Taurus PT 738 TCP.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom