1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    N.W. IN
    Found this in e-mail today

GalleryofGuns.com Stock Watch - Inventory Received
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:42 PM

"StockWatch" <stockwatch@davidsonsinc.com>

Dear Customer:

As requested, this E-mail is being sent to let you know that the following item has just been received in inventory by Davidson's/GalleryofGuns.com:

Item#: 1-709031
    Manufacturer: TAURUS
    Model: 709B "SLIM" SUB-COMPACT

To see this item, please click on the following link:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=1-709031
    (If the above link is on two lines, please cut and paste into your browser)

Thank you for using GalleryofGuns.com
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    These are available from Davidson's right now. They have 20 of the model 701 9mm in-stock right now. Cost? Well since I am not an advertising member, I shouldn't post that on here, PM me and we'll talk.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Did you actually compare them...size wise?

I did today. Millers in Syracuse got one in today. i laid my PF9 on top of the 709 and it's about 1/4" larger in length and height. it was really thin, about the same as the pf9. the top rear is not tapered like the KT so it didn't fit quite as well in the pocket and the site picture didn't seem quite as good either but i thought it was i pretty nice piece. :twocents:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Last edited:

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Taurus 709 SLIM Pistols a Reality: Information from the SHOT Show :: Guns Holsters and Gear

You mean these "two versions"?...

Has anybody noticed that there are two versions out there? I've seen the one that's shown here and a version that looks an awful lot like a M&P. Much better looking IMHO than the one listed above. It llooks like it's the one in factrory catlog.

It also looks like they are getting in the micro .380 market with 738TCP.

Taurus 2009 Full Line Catalog

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    Wanamaker guns has one in stock right now. I handled it, it is a little smaller than the Walther PPS, 11rd mags if I remember correctly. It is nice and thin, has the typical Taurus trigger with double strike capability. It seems like it would be a nice thin carry gun.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    They have one at Plainfield and I got to handle it. LOVE it! Very nice trigger for a compact gun. Breaks clean, no smoosh and short reset. The ergonomics are great for those with smaller hands, but it could have really benefitted from a pinky extension (would not add alot to the size of the gun either). Takes down like a Glock too.

My only gripes:
    Mag capacity (a bit small for a gun that size)
    Sights (night sights on an obvious carry gun, existing three dots are a bit small)
    Pinky extender (so close to a good grip, but falls short)

All in all: I would buy one in an instant and intend to in the future, really nice gun for the money. Plainfield Shooting Supplies has them for $340. It is much more than a PF9, but MUCH better feeling, MUCH more refined (more clean up work done). Its a toss up, the Taurus is chunkier than the PF9, but much more refined and with a DRAMATICALLY better trigger. If interested in a subSUBcompact :D 9mm, I suggest that you find a shop that has both and see how they feel to you.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Thanks for the link doublebarrel. That looks to explain why there are the two versions. A lot of websites are using the earlier version picture.

Last edited:

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I was able to handle and dry fire the new 709 today. I was impressed. it's really thin and appeared solid and well made. Looking inside the weapon showed very few machine/tool marks and/or imperfections. I handled a lot of Taurus today and noticed that many of the ramps had small pits in them and other tiny problems which singularly don't amount to much but in quantity could add up to firing problems. I personally thought the trigger was VERY good. I've heard some people didn't like it, but I thought it was frankly great. The trigger has a lot of simply 'empty' slack at the front followed by a small resistance which causes the gun to fire. It was nice. The slide (as are most Taurus slides) very nice and smooth. The gun was well balanced and appeared to be very well made. Had I not been in the market for another pistol, I'd have come home with this, or the delightful Titanium 24/7 they had. That Titanium gun is really nice too. Neither the 24/7 nor the 709 had any apparent manufacturing "defects".

DJDan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    North Indy
    I'll be heading out today or tomorrow to maybe check one of these out. I loved my PF-9 but since it was stolen I'll need to replace it with something similar in size and this just might be the ticket.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom