• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro C DS 9mm a couple of months ago, and have had it out a few times, so I thought I'd make a few observations.

The pistol's functioning has been flawless. Not one failure of any kind, using Wolf FMJ, WWB FMJ, and Rem/UMC FMJ. The manual strongly warns against using +P, and since all of the defensive HP stuff I've found has been +P pressures, I haven't tried any HP yet.

The first time to the range, it was shooting low. Good groups, but well below point of aim. Hmmm. I did some reading on the web, and this seems to be fairly common on that series, so I figured I'd just have to learn to compensate. Many of them said, however, that after it gets broken in at around 200 rounds, they seem to settle down. That sounded flakey, so I discounted it. The 2nd time at the range, it was still shooting low, and I just practiced compensating.

And then . . . .

Some of you may remember that a couple of months ago, I had asked what people who wore glasses were doing, since my bifocals were a real problem for me, since to focus on the front sight, I had to tilt my head back. It was very uncomfortable, but I didn't expect it to actually affect my shooting. I recently bought some generic reading glasses, that let me focus on things at arm's length. Today was my first time to the range with those.

Also, I learned to shoot pistol using a somewhat modified Weaver stance, and have used it exclusively for over 40 years. But this pistol has two different capacity mags, one of which extends further below the grip, and this was throwing off my left (supporting) hand when switching from one mag to the other. In an effort to develop some continuity, I decided to try the more modern stance which everyone else in the world seems to use now: directly facing the target, shoulders square, head scrunched down, both hands wrapped around the grip (as opposed to having the left hand under the grip). I tried this stance for the first time today.

The result?? My rounds all hit at point of aim. Was it because the Taurus finally got broke in? Was it my use of reading glasses today which improved my ability to focus on the front sight with a more natural head angle? Was it my use of the "modern" stance? (what is that called, anyway???)

I can't say for certain if it was a combination of these things, or any one of those things. Everything else remained constant, as far as I can tell (distance, ammo, etc). I have no answers, just my experience. So maybe if you are having trouble, while it's easy to blame the gun, it might be some seemingly unrelated thing that is going on.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Thats good that you got your gun to shoot better no matter which it was. Glad to hear the pistol hasn't had any malfunctions yet. :cheers: To more good times at the range!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had the very same gun for a few months too. Mine shoots straight on, maybe shooting low was a problem with the older models.

As for +P I bought a box of federal hydrashock +P for self defense, and of the two magazines I've shot for testing purposes I haven't had a problem.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Nice range report, thank you. I wonder on the 200 rd break in actually improving your shooting or is around that time you are getting used to how the gun likes to be aimed, either way sounds like a nice gun. Congrats. :rockwoot:

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I have .40 cal 24/7, not the PRO series. I have had it for several years, was my CC gun for many years and now it's the "house" gun. Always been accurate and has never had a malfunction of any kind and that's why it's the house gun.

RH

Rogercaruthers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    Taurus 24/7

My buddy bought one a couple gun shows ago, seems to love it. Its a compact .45 with a 3 inch barrel. I haven't bought one yet because their just not my type of pistol. At least thats what i thought until i hear/read things from posts with people who own the gun. He hasn't had any flaws with his either... Maybe i SHOULD get one! Anyways, im glad to hear your gun is shooting well have a good one!

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I first bought the Taurus Pt Pro 24/7 DS and I liked it so much I bought the compact version to carry PT Pro 24/7 DS C both in 40 S&W.

I have over 2,000 rounds in each with no problems.

Top Bottom