• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I just got a used blued Taurus 1911 produced in 2006. Im not a big 1911 guy but I think everybody should have one. Its been carried alot but looks wore little. I was wanting to hear from owners of these guns, please be easy I know its not a wilson combat or kimber:):. I want to get the basic spare parts like firing pin,extractor, sear,etc so Id like to know if any of you have replaced parts and if they were compatable (I know there really isnt a drop in parts for a 1911). I also was curious if taurus did or would sell extra extractors and other parts since I have tried to buy replacement parts from them before and they said they only sell certain parts. Thanks for your time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on your first 1911. They can be addictive, but it's a fun ride if you do go down that rabbit hole. I don't own a Taurus, but do own other 1911s. I've never stocked many spares for them, but any time I buy a used pistol, I put fresh springs in and label and store the originals. What are your plans for it? That will help you figure out what, if any, spare parts you need. If it's going to be a range gun that gets shot on occasion, don't worry too much about spares. If you are going to shoot the heck out of it, and if this is your one and only SHTF gun, then you do want to put away a couple of things as spares.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Ill carry it once I get proficent with it. Ive had a few 1911 in the past but never kept them long due to finances,etc. I usually carry a beretta m9 but this will rotate with that. I plan on maybe doing steel challenge once a month or so with it this summer.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I own a PT 1911. It's for range duty only. For now, I'll never carry it. I like slim, light profiles to carry. I only have 5-600 rounds through mine but they've been flawless. I even shot a box of TULAMMO steel case rounds through it on the last range trip without a failure. I think they're a great 1911 for the money. I searched around and only gave $459 for mine brand new. Say what you want about Taurus, but the ones I've been around have been great performers. The lifetime warranty is always there if ya need it. Just remember, if you go adding "non-stock" parts into your PT 1911, you will most likely lose your lifetime warranty....not really an issue for a 1911 if you do your own work (or have a good gunsmith).....just wanted to throw that out there.

So I can't help ya on which parts to keep on hand. Hopefully you'll get some good responses since the title has the word Taurus in it, LOL.

Oh, go over to taurusarmed.net if ya want the best info. They're more Taurus friendly over there.....and it's not a fan boy site like some will say. You get real world advice from actual owners....and yes, there is a section there for the broken ones as well, LOL.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My son bought a PT 1911 new because he wanted a 1911 and he could afford this one. He's had no problems with any ammo or other maintenance issues. It is also reasonably accurate in his hands.

I think the finish is not that tough as his has started to develop some oxidation in the checkering on the grip heel. Even so, as a non Gucci gun you should find it serviceable.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I carried and competed with a PT1911 for several years. When I first bought it, the first time I loaded it the hammer followed the slide forward. After a couple of shots the thumb safety fell off. I sent it back to Taurus and the gun came back flawless and was as reliable as any 1911 I've had including Colt and Springfield, and S&W. That's the thing with Taurus. you never know how it's going to work right out of the box, but if anything is wrong they will fix it for the life of the gun! This is not to say it is the QUALITY of a Springfield or Colt, but they are reliable and you get a lot for your money. Not sure if you knew, but a Taurus warranty transfers with the gun. So YOU now have the lifetime warranty! Good luck and happy shooting.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had one for a while and it shot very well and was reliable but I'm a fiddler/silly heart/messer up of fine guns And your Taurus is NOT a 1911, it looks like a 1911 and takes 1911 mags, and shoots 45 acp but you will find that buying aftermarket parts are very hit and Miss, while something like springs and a guide rod will drop in other trigger and safety items may or may not fit.

So if your happy with the way it is then keep on shooting, If your worried about parts breaking then order taurus parts. I had a heck of a time getting sears fitted for mine,

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have had a Taurus PT1911 since their advertising blitz 6 or 7 years ago. It was my first 1911. I have only shot around 500 rounds through it. The only trouble that I have ever had was with non-Taurus magazines. I actually like it better than my much more expensive S&W stainless steel 1911. The Taurus is my nightstand gun. I used to take it with me on trips before I got a Beretta 96. I never carried it, but kept it in the glove compartment or in the easy access compartment of my soft leather luggage. If I had to choose between the S&W and the Taurus, I would probably keep the Taurus just because I have never much cared for the adjustable sights in the S&W. I do not know what parts you might want to have on hand as I probably have not shot mine enought to break anything. I just know that for me as a casual shooter whose eyes are getting older, I can still hit tin cans at 25 yards with almost every shot.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I had one for a while and it shot very well and was reliable but I'm a fiddler/silly heart/messer up of fine guns And your Taurus is NOT a 1911, it looks like a 1911 and takes 1911 mags, and shoots 45 acp but you will find that buying aftermarket parts are very hit and Miss, while something like springs and a guide rod will drop in other trigger and safety items may or may not fit.

So if your happy with the way it is then keep on shooting, If your worried about parts breaking then order taurus parts. I had a heck of a time getting sears fitted for mine,

Ehh??? Not a 1911? No, it's not a Wilson Combat, but it is indeed a 1911. So what specific parts are not compatible? I know several who have basically stripped them and got rid of the MIM parts. 1911 parts have to be fitted. If you get a part that drops in, consider it a bonus. Would like to know more about why it's not a 1911. Hmmmm......

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I have had a Taurus PT1911 since their advertising blitz 6 or 7 years ago. It was my first 1911. I have only shot around 500 rounds through it. The only trouble that I have ever had was with non-Taurus magazines. I actually like it better than my much more expensive S&W stainless steel 1911. The Taurus is my nightstand gun. I used to take it with me on trips before I got a Beretta 96. I never carried it, but kept it in the glove compartment or in the easy access compartment of my soft leather luggage. If I had to choose between the S&W and the Taurus, I would probably keep the Taurus just because I have never much cared for the adjustable sights in the S&W. I do not know what parts you might want to have on hand as I probably have not shot mine enought to break anything. I just know that for me as a casual shooter whose eyes are getting older, I can still hit tin cans at 25 yards with almost every shot.

Which mags have you had trouble with? Just for reference so I look out for them. I have Taurus, Chip McCormick, and even a ProMag that work great with mine. Again, just wanting to know which ones to avoid. I tought they were all pretty much good to go. I sure wouldn't recommend a ProMag for anything even though mine works.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    hammer, sear and Trigger,

the trigger bar was .150 off of center, I built my first 1911 in the mid 80's used colts, essex, springields, and kimbers and the Taurus dimensions are different.

I'm glad you know several people who have done this or that, but when gross dimensions are off there is no fitting, there is remanufacture. And I don't know if Taurus has went through different runs where they tweaked their dimensions. But the one I had worked great but it just wasn't up to being changed with off the shelf items. I'm sure there are parts that are exact fit but who really cares about a gun until it shoots and is shootable. The Version I had had the Straight 8 sights if that helps with the era of manufacture. Kind of wish I had it back but I got interested in something else and moved on, still have a kimber and a colt comp gun in the safe so you never know I might have one again and give it another shot.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    hammer, sear and Trigger,

the trigger bar was .150 off of center, I built my first 1911 in the mid 80's used colts, essex, springields, and kimbers and the Taurus dimensions are different.

I'm glad you know several people who have done this or that, but when gross dimensions are off there is no fitting, there is remanufacture. And I don't know if Taurus has went through different runs where they tweaked their dimensions. But the one I had worked great but it just wasn't up to being changed with off the shelf items. I'm sure there are parts that are exact fit but who really cares about a gun until it shoots and is shootable. The Version I had had the Straight 8 sights if that helps with the era of manufacture. Kind of wish I had it back but I got interested in something else and moved on, still have a kimber and a colt comp gun in the safe so you never know I might have one again and give it another shot.

Okay, just wanting more info in case I decide to gut mine. Wasn't trying to imply you didnt know what you were doing, just thought it was strange with what others have done with theirs...never heard that it wasn't a 1911 even from the Taurus bashers, LOL

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a two tone PT 1911. Satin stainless frame, blued slide with good deep serations, checkered front strap, extended safety... lots of stuff you see on the high dollar guns. I understand the parts may not be as bulletproof as the metallurgy in the more expensive guns, but it has worked well so far. Now I've probably got less than 1,000 rds through mine, but it has never missed a beat so far. I don't put it through any grueling competitions, but I carry it every day, and I trust it to do it's job. Got a couple extra Chip McCormick mags for it and they feed perfectly. (need more mags) I like every feature on it, so there's nothing to change unless something breaks, although I do wish it had night sights, but that should be easy for any gunsmith.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Update: really aggrevated but not surprised since this was a used gun and you roll the dice sometimes. After a short range trip of 70 rounds I took it home and did a function check and hammer fell to half cock when releasing the slide. It only does this when racking the slide with force which I know is a no no on a 1911 with no round chambered but I check occasionally. I checked the hammer forks and they are worn a little and not surprising since this is a 2006 produced gun and the hammer is a MIM part. Ill plan on replacing the hammer and sear asap.

Top Bottom