• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Follow to the question about the steel targets

Here are a couple of pictures to show how the tripod stands work. It’s a simple design and works well. You may notice a wood block on the back leg. I added that to make the rear leg sit higher since the stand is positioned on a slope and it needs to be tilted forward enough to allow the mounting surface to have a rearward pitch. This allows the steel plate to swing when it’s hit. You don’t want it to be rigid.

The plates in the picture are not hardened steel. They are the inner blanks from the fabrication of large diameter pipe flanges. The take pistol rounds with little affect, but the .223 round at 60 yards leaves craters. I had the plates on hand so I use them until I become concerned about odd ricochet. I have some AR400 and AR500 targets ready to go.

16kz22q.jpg

Here is the rear view showing how the plate is bolted to the stand. I use ½” bolt with Nylock nuts so I don’t have to tighten the bolt down. I want the plate to swing a bit.

35hg2nb.jpg

I also want to offer an idea to those folks making wood framed target stands. Splatter from each round hitting the steel can erode the wood frame over time. On the large target stand I made from wood, I attached the top rail in front of the uprights so the plane of the splatter would be in front of the uprights.

n5t3f9.jpg

27wtatt.jpg

In this close-up, you’ll notice lots of craters in the steel. I found this steel treadplate when I moved onto our property. It’s not hardened material. Since I’m using it at 200 yards, I’m not concerned about ricochets. I’m saving my nickels and dimes for one of the full-sized IPSC targets in AR500 steel!

The purpose of this next picture is to show how the top board is mounted in front of the uprights, thereby keeping the bullet fragments from wearing the uprights. They will still hit the base, but it’s not as close.

ejwjmf.jpg

Happy shooting!

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    Im not sure if u can see the side of our stands but hubby put some cheap screen door handles on them so my daughter and I can pick them up and carry them around a little easier.What a guy!!!:D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've been in Indy for three years now and you guys are making me miss living in the country more than ever:D I miss the days when I could go out my back door and shoot.

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    thats a great setup. i made mine out of old floor plate from a paver. hung by bungi straps so not to deaden the ring. the grandkids love it.

Top Bottom