• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    I've been thinking about a .22 for target shooting. I know everyone likes the 10/22 but I am thinking bolt action (help keep the boys from going through ammo like candy). I kind of like the Ruger American but I don't think there are many upgrades out there. I like the looks of the CZ 455 and there are many models to choose from. There is even the package with the .17HMR barrel included. Just looking for any opinions or experience with either rifle.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    please describe the type of target shooting you want to do. 25-50 yd plinking lots of them, 100-300 yd narrows the field quite a bit. 50 yd benchrest high dollar and very limited choices to really compete.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ruger American Rimfire....Mark my words. That gun will change the .22 bolt rifle game for years to come.....$300 that competes with the high dollar...Boyd's are already making stocks for them..

IMHO ofcourse....

Thanks... I wasn't really looking for another .22, but now that rifle has made it on my radar list.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have shot a CZ 452 (old model replaced by the 455). It was fantastic. The owner had made it a bench gun and it had a 10oz trigger. Really accurate.

I have not shot the new Ruger yet but looking forward to it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    True target setups for bench rest are expensive. If the CMP has the kimber government 82's left you can score a 425 dollar rifle that shoots with the Annie's and custom model 52's but I do believe they are gone. I got 2 of them and it will be some time before the rifle is the weak link in my shooting. At that point an Annie is about the only way to go new now.

I have age a ruger target that outshoots most custom 10-22's but it will not group with the kimber. X's matter.

If you have not seen a kimber model 82 government 22 let me introduce you:

[/URL

one with target scope and the other I now shoot peep sighted with the included peeps. Best 900 dollars I have spent gun wise for that pair in a long time.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Ruger American Rimfire....Mark my words. That gun will change the .22 bolt rifle game for years to come.....$300 that competes with the high dollar...Boyd's are already making stocks for them..

IMHO ofcourse....

Could you expand on your opinion on the Ruger? Better than a $150 Savage with the AccuTrigger?

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    SavageMKII_01.jpg

The Savage FVSR may be a good option.
    -They are relatively inexpensive and readily available
    -The muzzle is threaded and suppressor ready
    -The stock trigger is excellent and fully adjustable
    -The magazines are relatively inexpensive and readily available
    -They are very accurate with a wide variety of ammunition (but especially accurate with wolf match and CCI standard velocity)

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I picked up a CZ 452 ultra lux (28.6" barrel) a few years back.... since then, when i go shooting with friends, they keep getting rid of all of their other 22s (savage, ruger 10/22, etc) and now we all have some form of a CZ rifle. My 452 ultra lux, a custom 452 trainer, and a 455 with heavy barrel. We all shoot at 50 yards at empty shotgun shells and small items like that and have a blast, very accurate and really don't miss that often. They both have scopes on theirs, but if you get a model with the rear sight leaf it really is dead on in the range increments provided (at least with the ultra lux model up to 100 yards... i haven't shot it past that yet).

Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    Thanks for the responses. I don't need anything high end. Most of my shooting would be 100 to maybe 150 yards. I may have to expand my search. That Savage looks nice. I like the looks of the Ruger, but something always draws me back to a wood stock.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    True target setups for bench rest are expensive. If the CMP has the kimber government 82's left you can score a 425 dollar rifle that shoots with the Annie's and custom model 52's but I do believe they are gone. I got 2 of them and it will be some time before the rifle is the weak link in my shooting. At that point an Annie is about the only way to go new now.

I have age a ruger target that outshoots most custom 10-22's but it will not group with the kimber. X's matter.

If you have not seen a kimber model 82 government 22 let me introduce you:
    one with target scope and the other I now shoot peep sighted with the included peeps. Best 900 dollars I have spent gun wise for
    that pair in a long time.

How or is it possible to purchase a CMP rifle without being associated with a CMP club?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I like my savage Mark II FVT with the Williams peep sights with the addition of the Buffalo Arms front sight insert cards and magnetic case holder.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    How or is it possible to purchase a CMP rifle without being associated with a CMP club?

You don't. OTOH, RWVA membership is only $20/yr and meets the club requirement.

Appleseed - Join the RWVA

While you are at it, might as well attend an Appleseed (which addresses the documented marksmanship activity requirement, if you don't already have that addressed.)

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    SavageMKII_01.jpg

The Savage FVSR may be a good option.
    -They are relatively inexpensive and readily available
    -The muzzle is threaded and suppressor ready
    -The stock trigger is excellent and fully adjustable
    -The magazines are relatively inexpensive and readily available
    -They are very accurate with a wide variety of ammunition (but especially accurate with wolf match and CCI standard velocity)
    This is a great rifle. I love mine and even used it to qualify rifleman at Appleseed. You can add CCI Blazer to the accurate ammo list as well.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "100 to 150 yards" tells a whole different tale for .22lr rifles. This also is going to depend on your definition of "target shooting. If you want to be able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards you have entered a higher dollar neighborhood. 1" at 50 yards can be done with just about anything mentioned above shooting off a rest. If all you need is 1 minute-of-five-gallon-bucket at 100-150 yards most any scoped .22lr bolt gun will do that. Higher expectations means higher price for both the gun and the ammo.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I bought a mil-surplus Romanian M1969 trainer teach my kids to shoot, it is a great gun for teaching kids to shoot & they get a history lesson too.
    It is a bolt action mag fed very accurate rifle, with 25,50 & 100 meters settings on the iron sights. It is simple to operate & the mags only take 5 rounds each so the kids won't burn up too much ammo. The receiver has some small dovetails on top so you can mount a small scope on it as the children age or to hunt with. It makes a great squirrel gun I have taken quite a few with it.
    Romanian M1969 .22lr Trainer

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The kimber 82 government rifles are gone.

At least from the web site. Might give the north or south store a call and see if they have any left. They had them for sale for a few years and because of some storage lube that turns orange in color so people thought it was rust. They started calling the rusty's and bropped the price from 525 to 425 and I was in line the first day they dropped the price. I hand picked two one for a scope and one open sights. Allen's jewelry and loan in Anderson had one for sale a while back at 650 or so. If they are sold out at the CMP it should double the asking price so they should be asking 850 now. 425 was a deal on a twelve pound piece
    of walnut and deep blue steel. Both of mine were never shot and only have private razor knife marks on one which I redid the stock on.

The cmp also sells a couple new savage rifles and the Annie 1903a. The Annie is like 1600 but the savages are under 300.

Cz makes good sure enough. As far as the ruger American changing the shooting world time will tell. I don't think the
    trigger is light enough, the rifle heavy enough or stock stiff enough to place in the top 50 at any match.

Others to to look for would be the old rem 37 or 5teens rifles targetmAstrt scoremaster or matchmaster, heavy barreled 541 rem rifles win 52 types or Shul 150. I have seen these win before.

Lots of good options out in the market but anything without heft, trigger pulls in pounds, and stocks without the ability to torque the action down in foot pounds I would just plain bypass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The CMP Rifles are long gone, both one the website and in person, As of last summer.

Even though when you buy one, you sign a certificate that says it is for personal marksman use and not for resale, there are plenty of them on the broker site, for double the price. I guess most peoples word is just not worth much. When non competitors do that, it kind of negates the whole purpose of the CMP. So much for caring about the future of the sport.

Last edited:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    For the comments on the Savage FVSR, is a heavy barrel on a 22lr that beneficial? Just curious. Say shooting out to 100yds max.

Top Bottom