• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I love mine! You are going to get a lot of "gimmick" and "they suck" response. Albeit, these responses are from people that have most likely never shot one.

They aren't a gimmick, the idea has been around awhile. Avoid the polymer framed ones.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    find someone who has one and shoot it first. some people love it. others buy them because they are super cool (shoots .410 shotshells out of a pistol!!!!) and then realize the recoil is too much and they arent fun anymore then turn around and sell them.

edit: i have shot one, and still think they are super awesome, just do not own one YET.

tommyj223

Marksman
    Rating - 77.8%
    7   2   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    lowell
    ive had two,and my opinion is there worthless except for self defense as long as there no further than 10 ft away.although the magnum was a lil better with #2shot i couldnt hit **** from 10 yards the pattern was the size of a garage.the 45lc didnt seem much better.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    find someone who has one and shoot it first. some people love it. others buy them because they are super cool (shoots .410 shotshells out of a pistol!!!!) ...

My son has the Public Defender with the 3" cylinder (smaller Judge) and it IS :cool: to shoot the .410 and 45 LC :rockwoot:

The gun is heavy enough that the recoil is next to nil .... my 9 has more :D

Last edited:

tommyj223

Marksman
    Rating - 77.8%
    7   2   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    lowell
    My son has the Public Defender with the 3" cylinder (smaller Judge) and it IS :cool: to shoot the .410 and 45 LC :rockwoot:

The gun is heavy enough that the recoil is next to nil .... my 9 has more :D
    they are fun to play with,but i wouldnt count on it as a do it all gun like so many people think.go shoot one see if its for u or not:twocents:

CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    they definitely play heavy on my Hand Cannon Novelty want, but there are other things I want instead. seems people either love it or hate it.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If you want it just for fun or because you think it's cool, then I say go for it. However, if you want it for serious self defense (as in, your life may depend on it) I would suggest getting a more conventional pistol/revolver.

piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    A good friend of mine bought a brand new one awhile back.Without making any modifications to it he took it out to shoot and the cylinder was not lined up with the barrel correctly when he fired the gun. The thing almost blew up in his hand. Two thumbs down for Taurus. He sent it back and they fixed the problem. I told him he was crazy for keeping it. There are much better weapons out there in the same price range.

Last edited:

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I purchased a gently used Public Defender from a friend of mine 2 months ago. While some people believe them to be novelty guns, I do not. I think it is one of the only compact guns on the market that's chambered for 45 Long Colt. I have been a fan of this cartridge for decades. It makes large holes, is concealable, and the minimal recoil allows for quick follow up shots if needed. I have had good luck with Winchester 225 grain PDX1 Defenders. The fact that it will chamber shoygun shells is a bonus. I'm not sure I would like the Poly frame, but that is merely personal feelings. Good luck, I think you'll enjoy it and for a lot less money thwn a Governor. Again, just my opinion.
    :yesway:

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Buy something made in the United States. Buy the Governor. I've shot the Judge and the owner sold it. Some have even said they have seen them used in cases. I'm guessing 200 more get a Governor or maybe select another pistol.made by S&W.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot a few of them and they are amazingly fun to shoot. Very little recoil. To me it just depends what the intended purpose of the weapon is and that the shooter know the limits of the weapon. It does have its little niche, but I would not recommend it as an only gun to be used for HD, EDC...

Nightstand gun for HD seems like a practical use for it to me.
    Just my :twocents:

But yes, I will admit it does have a little bit of cool factor though when shooting! :D

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I like mine, as I know it is what it is. It's not the end all of guns, and neither is anything else. I've enjoyed mine, and have no issues with it. I've shot 45 colts out of it, all types of shot in 410, and they've preformed as expected.

NEW! .410 Close Encounter

I bought a ton of these, so I'm excited to see how they perform.

I use it out on the farm, and carry it in a bandoleer made by bulldog. Works great.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The Judge is pretty cool. A 45 colt snub nose revolver is very worthwhile. The .410 aspect is the gimmick part of this gun and .410 is not as effective in very short barrels as .45 colt loads.

I want one but I can't justify it because I already own a Ruger sp101 in .357 magnum. It is also a grossly overpowered snub nose, and the ammo is relatively cheap and readily available compared to the .45 colt.

Remember that it's big and heavy and expensive to shoot and has devastating destruction at the loud end...... All of the things that make a fun gun! If it is solely for self defense all of these things aren't so good.

Top Bottom