• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I find that hard to believe. Most cats I know would try to trip the intruder by rubbing themselves between the guy's legs :)

Yep.. no way a new guy (the BG) would survive the Running of the Stairs.
    Hell, I live with my cat and barely survive the Running of the Stairs.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I have an alarm (ADT) and motion detectors and motion lights. Coons, Opposums and cats set it off at night. It always gets me up when it goes off. I sleep pretty light.
    Of course I have the three trained attack cats. Well the one is trained to hide unless it is me or the wife at home. The other is trained to only lay in her bed at our headboard and sleep until feeding time, and the third, well he would be the one to be at the door when it opens and follow you out when you leave. All the while, under your feet while begging for food.
    The fish will watch your every move with out blinking. Very scary. They always win in the staring contest.

I always here the coons and cats at night on the roof. During the day it is those pesky fat squirrels.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    NATE

What side / street / area of btown do you live in?

PM if you want, just curious, hearing about more and more breakins recently around here.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I miss my dogs they are the best alarm! Wife became allergic to em after my daughter was born five years ago. Had tow labs six years old they was just starting to calm down, I dont miss cleaning up after that dog sh*t!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My cat has yet to warn me of an intruder. He sits o nthe porch and watches as possums and racoons eat his cat food, then acts all tough and hissy when I step out with a pellet gun. He's a big lazy eating and pooping machine... what waste of fur.

(but oh, so cuddly) :):

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    NATE

What side / street / area of btown do you live in?

PM if you want, just curious, hearing about more and more breakins recently around here.

My girlfriend's parents own rental houses (as mentioned in Nates post) in the 16th & Grant area. One of those houses were broken into.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    if it was on 3rd, then yes, 2 blocks south :)

In that case, you'll probably be seeing Coach and me the first Sunday of March. Uh, just because it's on our way to and from South Central, of course. No other reason. None at all. No, really.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone else have animals run over the top of your house at night? It happens at my house every once in a while, and I assume it must be a cat or raccoon, but sometimes it sounds a little too big . . . so I get anxious.

Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels, jump off of one maple tree on the west side of the house landing with a thump and run across the roof to the east side maple tree. Absolutely drives my dogs nuts.

Get to barking like a fit, but nothing like their "what the hell I don't know what's out there come here quick dad" bark.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Anyone have a ballpark on how much it would cost to install a motion-activated floodlight?

That question is almost like asking "How much does a gun cost." It depends on where you want the light, the structure it is installed in, how far from available power, etc. Of course there is cost of the materials and the fixture, but those are less variable. $50-$100 should buy the materials unless there is some crazy situation, and probably less than, it just depends on how the job turns out. Labor is almost always the bigger expense, and the one that is harder to guess. Since you asked for a "ballpark" I'd say at least $100 labor. The work could take from 1-3 hours depending on the details. A typical billing rate for an licensed bonded electrician is $60-70 per hour. If you find a guy who is out of work, or someone who wants side work, you could probably but that rate in half or more(no overhead). The best way would be to arrange something with a guy who is honest, agree on a hourly rate, and go from there. For small jobs, an estimate/bid process tends to screw the customer. There can be things that pop up and significantly influence the estimated time, and the contractor is not willing to absorb those mistakes, so the estimator will tend to bid high not low. If you trust that the guy is honest, just set it up hourly and then whatever it takes is what it takes. PM or call me if you'd like to discuss your specific situation.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    All you you need is 3 of these. Best alarm system and deterent money can buy. When he makes his "WTF Bark" it sends shivers all over. Don't bother ringing the door bell he heard your car pull into the drive.

picture.php

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anyone have a ballpark on how much it would cost to install a motion-activated floodlight?

If you have a porch light or something that you're replacing, it takes ten minutes and a screwdriver. The cost is whatever the floodlight costs. I replaced my rear porch light with a whole-yard motion-sensor floodlight for like $100.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Yep me too.
    I put one in front and one in back, does a great job except on windy nights, the trees set them off.
    I think I paid no more than a hundred bucks for each of them at Lowes.

Top Bottom