• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brina

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I'm looking around for a 1911. many are these days, right? i ran across the Colt 21st century commander, but it's a TALO (is that worth it?) i know there are pretty differing opinions on Talo stuff out there. so for the price (1300ish) can you talk me into anything else?
    ps. haven't held it yet, and i know i need to. So save those comments because "i know i know, what works best for you is best for you"

Here's a link to the 1911 in question.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm looking around for a 1911. many are these days, right? i ran across the Colt 21st century commander, but it's a TALO (is that worth it?) i know there are pretty differing opinions on Talo stuff out there. so for the price (1300ish) can you talk me into anything else?
    ps. haven't held it yet, and i know i need to. So save those comments because "i know i know, what works best for you is best for you"

I think the Springfield Armory Champion Loaded Lightweight is a better deal and it has night sights.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    You are in the range of a Kimber super carry or a Dan Wesson or for a little less money one of the Sigs. If you just want a Colt I understand and there's certainly nothing wrong with the Colt but if you are looking for a really nice 1911 I would consider the others also.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think the Springfield Armory Champion Loaded Lightweight is a better deal and it has night sights.

*click* *click* *click*

shudder.jpg

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Disclaimer: I'm obviously a big fan of Sig Sauer, and therefore biased towards their products.

You wanted opinions so I'll give you mine. Colt sells nothing more than an overpriced gun. I'd take a Sig or a Springfield 1911 any day over a colt, all else being equal.

There is basically a 'line' in the 1911 world. Above this line, you won't have many, if any problems with your gun. Below that line it's really hit or miss. Most people put that line in different places, I put it at around $600 with the exception of RIA. Colt basically sells a $700 gun for $900-$1200, Kimber does the same just not quite as bad. You'd be fine with either of them but you get more bang for your buck with a Sig imho.

Everything after the $800-$1000 mark in the 1911 world is just paying for options and extreme tolerances.

You are in the range of a Kimber super carry or a Dan Wesson or for a little less money one of the Sigs.

Most sig 1911's are in the neighborhood of $800-$1000, show me the Dan Wesson's in that range so I can get one, please :): If you're talking in generalities this statement is way off base.

dmil12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    I agree with Ryan3030... $700 of the $1,300 price tag on the Colt is because of the "Colt" on it. There have had several 1911s (Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Taurus) in my family and I still prefer my Sig P220 over all of them. Surprisingly, the Taurus PT1911 for $500 can hang with the others. If you are set on a 1911 and spending top dollar, go for a Kimber Tactical Entry II....IMO

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    You can get a Colt for less than a $1000 bucks and I don't agree that they are just over priced 1911's. I haven't handled or shot a Colt yet that wasn't a quality piece, they still hand fit parts and have superb quality control. I own a Springfield as well and I have had numerous other 1911's including a Sig, still like my Colt better. I wouldn't spend that much on one but if you like that version go for it. :twocents:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    You can get a Colt for less than a $1000 bucks and I don't agree that they are just over priced 1911's. I haven't handled or shot a Colt yet that wasn't a quality piece, they still hand fit parts and have superb quality control. I own a Springfield as well and I have had numerous other 1911's including a Sig, still like my Colt better. I wouldn't spend that much on one but if you like that version go for it. :twocents:

I didn't say Colt wasn't quality, as they definitely are imo, I just think you can get more gun for your money with what you would expect to spend for a Colt :)

I've yet to be impressed by a colt that I've shot, they just feel like run of the mill, middle of the field, plain-jane guns. And to me, that doesn't really warrant their exorbitant price tag.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you get a Sig and you intend to carry it...make SURE to try holsters before you buy one (if you have the chance). My Sig doesn't fit any of my 1911 holsters because the slide is square on top. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you get a Sig and you intend to carry it...make SURE to try holsters before you buy one (if you have the chance). My Sig doesn't fit any of my 1911 holsters because the slide is square on top. ;)

But, if you have a holster made for a Sig, it will still work pretty well with the standard profile 1911s. I just got a Kramer Scabbard for my Sig Scorpion last week (ordered in April) and it works beautifully with the Sig, Colt and Springfield 1911s.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    so you sayin' a Colt Gold CUP National Match is a $700 gun?

Pretty sure we were speaking in generalities. If you wan't to compare the best they have to offer to the mid-range offerings everyone else has, be my guest. You're only misleading yourself.

Brina

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Disclaimer: I'm obviously a big fan of Sig Sauer, and therefore biased towards their products.

You wanted opinions so I'll give you mine. Colt sells nothing more than an overpriced gun. I'd take a Sig or a Springfield 1911 any day over a colt, all else being equal.

There is basically a 'line' in the 1911 world. Above this line, you won't have many, if any problems with your gun. Below that line it's really hit or miss. Most people put that line in different places, I put it at around $600 with the exception of RIA. Colt basically sells a $700 gun for $900-$1200, Kimber does the same just not quite as bad. You'd be fine with either of them but you get more bang for your buck with a Sig imho.

Everything after the $800-$1000 mark in the 1911 world is just paying for options and extreme tolerances.

ryan3030, i do want opinions. so thank you.
    i'm set on a 1911 and although i do respect the work sig does, i've heard their 1911 have been plagued with some issues (can't cite that, sorry), since they are newer to the 1911 scene. and since colt has been making them since the 20's it seems like a good bet. also the USMC just contracted Colt for 22.5m worth of 1911s. it seemed logical to me.

nevertheless. all that info/opinion is very helpful and much appreciated.

Top Bottom