• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I remember about 15 years ago a similar story in the Indy Star. The kid was taken from a roach infested apartment off East Washington Street and was on oxygen, because it was so fat. The kid was put in protective services, but the parents still has visitation rights (as they should). The parents were caught sneaking McDonalds hamburgers and fries to the kid while on visitation.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    First they came for the 200-lb eight year olds;
    and I did not speak out because my eight year old was not 200-lbs.

Then they came for boys with man-boobs;
    and I did not speak out because my boy didn't have man-boobs.

Then they came for the kids who didn't eat their vegetables;
    and I did not speak out because my kid ate all his vegetables.

Then they came for my kid;
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    There are people who do not fit our vision of what a harmonious, orderly society should be. They don't harm anyone or infringe on anyone's life, liberty, or property, but they irk the heck out of you and me. Every time we see them, our skin crawls. They pollute this beautiful society of the pure blood that we love so much. What do we do?

I know, we should take them away! That's why we set up a government, so we can re-educate these people in camps if they can change. If they cannot, we send them to some other sort of camp from which they'll never return. This is the ticket! This will solve our problems. No more fatties, man-boob kids, or non-veggie eaters! Thanks, Rambone, for this list to start. I'd add nose-pickers, open mouth breathers, the clumsy, four eyes, gaywads, and others.

We can start with this list. Some posters are really too stupid to breed, aren't they? We should track them down and sterilize them. They probably have stupid and fat kids, too. Well, let's not visit the sins of of the parents upon the children like in those unenlightened biblical days (unto the fourth generation, sayeth the Book of Leviticus!). Instead, let's just send them to the camps we spoke of just now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As complex as metabolism may be, I find it hard to believe that an 8 year old child can weigh roughly 200 pounds due to anything other than over eating. An extra 20 pounds, maybe. Not an extra 120. Your body does not just magically create fat cells.

Wasn't speaking to the specific case in question. I was calling out the bull**** statement that all obesity is laziness and overeating.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's purely the parents responsibility for the problems with obese kids.
    I have a younger son and believe me it's not easy.
    I have to be a parent. I'm the bad guy most of the time. I have to say "NO" to the McDonalds drive thru, PopTarts, SUGAR coated cereal, etc that are shoved down our kids mouth via advertising and convenience.
    It goes even deeper than that.
    IF you have school age kids PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE SCHOOL LUNCH MENU!!
    Pure Junk Food. Bread, pasta, potatoes, sandwiches, pizza, and the list goes on.
    Sure, the STATE can jump in and take a kid away from the parents due to obesity.
    They should Police themselves first for being an accomplice to these issues.
    I've had to write a dozen or more notes to school about the crap they're offering up to my son for his lunches.
    The Reply is..."It's a state school approved menu" to paraphrase.
    I guess it's cost effective junk. It's always about the money. "Follow the money trail"!!
    Parents are ultimately responsible whether it's junk food or a medical condition. Either way we have to stay on top of things.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There are disorders that could cause this. Severe hypothyroidism could be one.

My son is 3. He weighs 50 pounds 1 ounce. Is he fat? He'll no. He had a blood draw a week ago and it took everything I had plus the nurse and lab tech to hold him down.

On a side note...it's a LOT harder to lose weight the more obese you get. It's a snowball effect...every extra ten pounds on your midsection puts an equivalent of like 30 lbs of force on your knees and feet? Crazy.

If Americans want to not be fat, we need to look at cutting the cost of healthy foods at the store and making exercising at gyms more affordable.

It's cheaper to get five things off a dollar menu than to pay for 5 fruits/veggies, and it's convenient, and THAT is the problem.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy

My son is 3. He weighs 50 pounds 1 ounce. Is he fat? He'll no. He had a blood draw a week ago and it took everything I had plus the nurse and lab tech to hold him down.

On a side note...it's a LOT harder to lose weight the more obese you get. It's a snowball effect...every extra ten pounds on your midsection puts an equivalent of like 30 lbs of force on your knees and feet? Crazy.

If Americans want to not be fat, we need to look at cutting the cost of healthy foods at the store and making exercising at gyms more affordable.

It's cheaper to get five things off a dollar menu than to pay for 5 fruits/veggies, and it's convenient, and THAT is the problem.

Severe hypothyroidism may lead to a change in metabolic rate, but it doesn't force an individual to consume more calories than he/she can burn. Humans are constant metabolizers. In other words, we are constantly burning calories regardless of what we are doing. Upwards of 70% of total energy expenditure can come from resting metabolic rate. Regardless of whether you actively exercise or not, you can still burn enough calories to not gain weight by simply going about your normal daily routine. That is, unless you choose to consume a high enough number of calories to cause weight gain.

While severe hypothyroidism can alter an individuals metabolic rate, it in no way forces that individual to consume more calories than they can burn through either exercise or their normal daily routine. It may make them more susceptible to weight gain or make it harder for them to lose weight than someone without hypothyroidism, but ultimately they still have to consume those calories which lead to weight gain.

If Americans want to not be fat, they need to take it upon themselves as individuals to eat healthy and exercise, not rely on others to make healthy foods more affordable (not sure I find ALL healthy food to be expensive) and gym memberships more affordable. You do not need a gym to stay physically fit and you do not need to be wealthy to consume healthy foods.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

No one would care about how "fat" we are if health insurance companies weren't looking for ways to cut costs because our society has convinced us that we are all entitled to as much medical care as we want at no perceived cost to ourselves. If I want to "eat" myself to death, what business is that of yours? I watched my father drink and smoke himself to death; it was tough on our family and affected us negatively, but no one made a move to stop him. Now the busybodies in the health insurance industry are trying to mandate "pro-active health care"; e.g. preemptive testing for all sorts of cancers, blood conditions, and ailments.

If you don't want to get fat and can't afford to go to the gym, GO OUTSIDE AND WALK!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I think I would have had a membership at the local YMCA set up for the chubby boy BEFORE he got to 200+ pounds. Damn, some people just should not breed.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the article does not state he had any medical conditions. if your 8 year weights 200 pounds you are not fit to be a parent. he is an 8 year old not a lineman.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    First of all, think about Mother Nature on this oneand the make-up of our biology. At one point in time we had to HUNT(which is substituted for exercise now) for our food. It could have been days or weeks before we had real substantial food again. This is why our bodies store fat. Our bodies stored fat for us to use when we could not find meals. This is the basics and no disorder is going to change the essentials of this. This is why experts tell you to eat 6 small meals a day. When you eat 6 small meals a day you fake out your body by letting it know that you have a ready supply of food, and in turn your body releases the fat it is holding on to.

NO DISEASE WILL CAUSE OBESITY. Some disorders may cause a person to be overweight but that is very different from obesity. There are tons of "husky" people that are perfectly healthy. We are not talking about this we are talking about an obese CHILD. Think about that word: child. We as adults are responsible for them and if any child gets this obese and the parents have been warned, the child needs to be removed from the environment.

I wasn't saying that people need to be 18 to buy junk food or eat it. I am saying if a child is doing something that is damaging to them and the parents are not intervening the child needs to be removed for their own and others safety.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Severe hypothyroidism may lead to a change in metabolic rate, but it doesn't force an individual to consume more calories than he/she can burn. Humans are constant metabolizers. In other words, we are constantly burning calories regardless of what we are doing. Upwards of 70% of total energy expenditure can come from resting metabolic rate. Regardless of whether you actively exercise or not, you can still burn enough calories to not gain weight by simply going about your normal daily routine. That is, unless you choose to consume a high enough number of calories to cause weight gain.

While severe hypothyroidism can alter an individuals metabolic rate, it in no way forces that individual to consume more calories than they can burn through either exercise or their normal daily routine. It may make them more susceptible to weight gain or make it harder for them to lose weight than someone without hypothyroidism, but ultimately they still have to consume those calories which lead to weight gain.

If Americans want to not be fat, they need to take it upon themselves as individuals to eat healthy and exercise, not rely on others to make healthy foods more affordable (not sure I find ALL healthy food to be expensive) and gym memberships more affordable. You do not need a gym to stay physically fit and you do not need to be wealthy to consume healthy foods.

The problem with your premise is that it presupposed the condition is known and/or that the individual is aware of the calories taken in and consumed on a daily/weekly basis. (It also ignores the fact that what was once an acceptable diet for weight maintenance may not be thanks to the onset of the condition. Being sans thyroid myself, I'm familiar with the condition since it is now my natural state. I also know that the hormones responsible for regulating the metabolism are affected by more than just the organ making them. I am completely depending on a daily dose of synthetic hormone to maintain life functions. The dosage doesn't change, and yet my blood levels do. I am 3.5 years out from the thyroidectomy and I'm still having blood draws every six months to evaluate hormone levels. It should say something that a constant dosage doesn't result in constant levels in the blood. How much worse for an untreated condition? I have heard of hypothyroid individuals cutting caloric intake back to levels below 1000/day and still not being able to lose weight.

It ignores the metabolic "set point," brain chemistry that no longer works in sync with the altered metabolic function and insulin resistance.

It's not a simple equation. Multiple variables work in a variety of ways and its inaccurate to reduce it to a simple calorie in/calorie out solution when there are medical conditions at play.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    First of all, think about Mother Nature on this oneand the make-up of our biology. At one point in time we had to HUNT(which is substituted for exercise now) for our food. It could have been days or weeks before we had real substantial food again. This is why our bodies store fat. Our bodies stored fat for us to use when we could not find meals. This is the basics and no disorder is going to change the essentials of this. This is why experts tell you to eat 6 small meals a day. When you eat 6 small meals a day you fake out your body by letting it know that you have a ready supply of food, and in turn your body releases the fat it is holding on to.

NO DISEASE WILL CAUSE OBESITY. Some disorders may cause a person to be overweight but that is very different from obesity. There are tons of "husky" people that are perfectly healthy. We are not talking about this we are talking about an obese CHILD. Think about that word: child. We as adults are responsible for them and if any child gets this obese and the parents have been warned, the child needs to be removed from the environment.

I wasn't saying that people need to be 18 to buy junk food or eat it. I am saying if a child is doing something that is damaging to them and the parents are not intervening the child needs to be removed for their own and others safety.

exactly.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The problem with your premise is that it presupposed the condition is known and/or that the individual is aware of the calories taken in and consumed on a daily/weekly basis. (It also ignores the fact that what was once an acceptable diet for weight maintenance may not be thanks to the onset of the condition. Being sans thyroid myself, I'm familiar with the condition since it is now my natural state. I also know that the hormones responsible for regulating the metabolism are affected by more than just the organ making them. I am completely depending on a daily dose of synthetic hormone to maintain life functions. The dosage doesn't change, and yet my blood levels do. I am 3.5 years out from the thyroidectomy and I'm still having blood draws every six months to evaluate hormone levels. It should say something that a constant dosage doesn't result in constant levels in the blood. How much worse for an untreated condition? I have heard of hypothyroid individuals cutting caloric intake back to levels below 1000/day and still not being able to lose weight.

It ignores the metabolic "set point," brain chemistry that no longer works in sync with the altered metabolic function and insulin resistance.

It's not a simple equation. Multiple variables work in a variety of ways and its inaccurate to reduce it to a simple calorie in/calorie out solution when there are medical conditions at play.

All true. In addition, hypothyroidism can lead to high blood pressure, constant aches and pains, and constant injuries to joints and tendons, making exercise extremely difficult. Add in various levels of depression commonly associated with it and you have a much more complex problem than "Stop eating and go walk, fatty!"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All true. In addition, hypothyroidism can lead to high blood pressure, constant aches and pains, and constant injuries to joints and tendons, making exercise extremely difficult. Add in various levels of depression commonly associated with it and you have a much more complex problem than "Stop eating and go walk, fatty!"

Yup. Nobody is saying anything CAUSES obesity. But to minimize all weight issues to nothing more than caloric intake vs. caloric burn doesn't even scratch the surface. No living thing is that simplistic.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy

I was not trying to make it out to be quite that simple. My point was, if it was possible for the human body to magically create energy (fat cells) we would have evolved as a species to take advantage of this trait and would no longer need to waste time and energy searching for food. If this child was gaining weight at such an accelerated rate that he was 200 pounds by the age of 8, a reasonable person would take a closer look at what that child was eating. If the calories in are cut and the child continues to gain weight uncontrollably, then a reasonable person would assume there is something else in play which is leading to the uncontrollable weight gain.

Top Bottom