Taking a motorcycle class. First time riding.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Whatever you do, don't cheap it out on the safety gear! Like your daily carry gun, your life depends on it.
    And don't let peer pressure allow you to ride beyond what you recognize as your skill limits.
    It's said that if you dont die riding your bike during the first full year of riding, you probably won't die on it at all. That's not meant to scare you, but to convey how long it takes to acquire the more basic control and defensive skills you'll need.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Just finished the ABATE class this weekend. It was fun. Only missed one point on the exam. Best in class!

It was the first time riding a motorcycle. And first time using a clutch system on anything with handlebars. I was used to our 4-wheeler where you let off the gas, and shift. No clutch.

But of course I've got all my friends except 1 who think I shouldn't be riding a bike. My dad, who's had a Harley in the past,m is also against me getting a bike. He keeps telling me that a Jeep Wrangler will be the same.

I know its up to me to do what I want, but it really kind of sucks that I can't even say anything about motorcycles now without someone expressing their opinion. It gets old. And I have started becoming real short with them.

But right now, its late in the season, and I don't really have a whole lot of money to spend, even on a cheaper bike to start off with.

But Whoohoo, I've got my endorsement.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Did the class a few years ago, put 17k miles on a cheap starter bike since.

Its worth taking.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Congrats! There is nothing like the feeling of the open road on two wheels. I sold my bike early this year because I have small kids and didnt get to ride it much. I am kind of partial to the big Lazy Boy's on 2 wheels myself. My wife and I took a 3000 mile road trip to Maine last summer on our '87 Goldwing, and it was a blast! Your butt gets tired after a while though. I will definitely be getting another bike in the next few years, once the kids are a little older.

Stay safe brother.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You did it the right way!!! Taking that class is a great start and it's also not a bad refresher. There were 3 accomplished riders in the class with me that had taken it before. They said they always "relearn" something that they had forgotten. Doesn't hurt the insurance policy either. Always remember SIPDE and keep your eyes on the other guys because they aren't watching you and you'll enjoy a great new (expensive) hobby!!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    congrats!! i'm 42 and been riding since my gramps bought me a honda 80 when i was 12! good job learning the right way, abate classes are awesome. what town did you take the class in? nvrmnd, i see you're from westfield

Last edited:

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Been looking online for motorcycles. And I think I want a Triumph Bonneville. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics/bonneville

For a starter bike, would you think this would be a good one? I really don't care to have a lot of power right now. I just want something for short trips as I spend time learning on one. But I also don't know much about motorcycles and the kind of power they have. We trained on a 250. Am I reading this right? The bonneville is 865cc. Does the 250 mean 250cc? Or are the two numbers different?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Do your homework on bikes. Look for something that is a smooth ride with your back. It isn't fun to ride if you are sore. Like someone said get some good equipment. I have been in two wrecks and my helmet saved me both times.

When you look at bikes, look at something that will keep your interest for a while. Don't fall into the "I have to have a certain bike". Get something that you will like.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Been looking online for motorcycles. And I think I want a Triumph Bonneville. Bonneville | Triumph Motorcycles

For a starter bike, would you think this would be a good one? I really don't care to have a lot of power right now. I just want something for short trips as I spend time learning on one. But I also don't know much about motorcycles and the kind of power they have. We trained on a 250. Am I reading this right? The bonneville is 865cc. Does the 250 mean 250cc? Or are the two numbers different?

No, that sounds right. ABATE usually uses 250cc bikes for trainers. The Boneville is 865cc, but it doesnt have a HUGE amount of power. It's a pretty neutral handling bike, so wouldnt be bad for a 1st bike IMO. It is a little pricey though..

In that same kinda style a used Honda Nighthawk 450 would be a cheap alternative..

2004%5C07%5C16%5Cbikepics-181657-320.jpg

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    From personal experience:

I rode the 125 at the ABATE course (they only had a few of the 250s) and at the time I thought "Hey, this isn't bad, I could ride this regularly." Then I thought about the fact that we didn't get out of 3rd (definitely not higher than 4th driving back to the shack from the practice lot) so I had no idea exactly what size bike I really needed.

I started shopping where I thought was a good bike size for me, and after a lot of research and waiting, I finally realized that I was shopping too low.

I bought an 1100 finally because I realized that I wouldn't get the ride I wanted in a smaller bike. I'm a bigger guy and when I tried a 650, I felt like my knees were up under my chin (more than the 125 at the course, which was weird) but I also realized that anything smaller than a 900 wasn't going to suit me, and a 900 was pushing it.

Sit on as many as you can, and test drive a few (if you can). Then buy used. Don't buy bigger just because, and don't buy outside of your comfort zone. You need to make sure you can put both feet on the ground at a stop, but remember the size of the bike doesn't matter once you get rolling. Small people can handle bigger bikes.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    ABATE used to have an advanced course where you used your own bike. I never took it but I'm sure it's a great class like the beginner one.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    My advice would be to not be afraid of getting a bike with a little more power. You may get a smaller bike and become comfortable with it after a few weeks and then you will want more power and have to sell it and buy another bike or be unhappy with you smaller bike for awhile. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. I went from my 150cc ABATE bike to a 1450cc, which is not ideal, but after a few weeks of practice in parking lots and back roads i was completely comfortable on it and am glad i went for the bigger bike.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    While we were at the course the first day, there was another group of people taking the test on their own bikes. Wasn't a full training course. They just had to do a few maneuvers to get their license.

But this one girl had a crotch rocket, and her feet were a good 6 inches off the ground with the bike upright. She could only touch the ground after the bike leaned. But after completing her course, she came to a stop, and the bike leaned over and kept right on going. It fell on her. They had to come pick the bike up off her leg.

Doesn't seem smart to get a bike like that.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Been looking online for motorcycles. And I think I want a Triumph Bonneville. Bonneville | Triumph Motorcycles

A good starter bike is a SV-650. They are quick but not CBR-600 quick. I would buy a used bike to start on so if you do drop it, you won't feel so bad.
    A Ninja 250 or 500 is good to start on unless you are a big guy, they are are painfully slow and the suspension is overloaded.

The sport bikes (aka crotch rockets) are easy to ride and easier to handle. Better brakes, better tires, less weight.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    You've received great advice so far. Buying a used bike allows for you to buy a mid-size bike, ride it for a year and then sell it without taking a loss like you would have on a new bike.
    There is a long list of good starter bikes. Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki all make V-twins in the 650 - 750 size. The V-twin motor does not put out the horsepower or have the narrow powerband of the crotch rockets. The HP and narrow powerband is what usually gets new riders in trouble. The seat height is lower on the V-twins, which means the center of gravity is going to be lower which translates into easier to ride for a beginner.
    I know some guys are thinking a 750 is too small, but I remember when a 750 was considered a big bike.
    Whatever you get, remember your safety gear.

Top Bottom