• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I've always wanted to introduce new people to guns, so I decided to take advantage of being a college student and invite people I know to go shooting with me. To date I have taken three people shooting for their first time, and have about five more people who want to go with me. Here are some photos. :ar15:

We're shooting my new marlin 60 which I wound up having to put a scope on due to a canted rear sight and my Kel-Tec P11 I bought from a fellow Ingo-er.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/indoorsoccerfrea/DSC01974.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/indoorsoccerfrea/DSC01979.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/indoorsoccerfrea/DSC01980.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Most of the folks I take shooting have been people for several years already... :D

Hi, I'm Jared. And I'm a "smart alek".

But to you...Kudos! My buddy and I are planning on taking buddy's roommate out in the near future. To buddy's knowledge, he's never fired one at all. Good times!

-J-

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I took a co-worker and his teenage nephew with me and he really loved it.

I think it is a great way to introduce people to guns who have an interest. Going to a good club or range gives them the best possible chance to have a safe and fun time with a lot of control of the situation.

I shoot at CFC. Most of the folks there are super nice and friendly, and there is always some great guns to look at and see shot. I think it is a way to show that shooting is a sport and a hobby and that we all aren't just nut cases...

Nra-Life-Member

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    It's something that I introduced a few friends at work to... After work pr during an extended lunch - if the range is local..

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good work, always good to see new people enjoying the sport. I have offerd people from work, to take them shooting. So far I have had no luck.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Being a bit of a liberal (be gentle) and having generally like-minded friends, when I first started telling people about how I took a gun class and bought a rifle I expected to spend lots of time explaining why I felt I "needed" to own a gun. Turns out the general reaction is "Cool! Take me shooting some time!" :D Who knew were were all repressed gun-lovers?

I'm still pretty new myself, but once I get a little more experience under my belt I've got about half a dozen people who want me to take them out. Sounds like a fun afternoon!

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Being currently in grad school, I come across a lot of folks too that have never fired a weapon before but are interested in trying it. So, far I have taken two people out to the rnage and introduced them to firearms and shooting. I generally start with teaching them how to handle it properly and always keeping in mind it's not a toy. My 4 rules are 1) always treat it as loaded, 2) check and recheck and recheck to make sure the firearms is unloaded, 3) only point it in a direction or at things you don;t mind getting destroyed and 4) KEEP your finger of the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

Both times we started with my G19 and then moved to the AR and some other rifles. Both people had a blast as did I remembering the first time I got to shoot a firearm.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Being a bit of a liberal (be gentle) and having generally like-minded friends, when I first started telling people about how I took a gun class and bought a rifle I expected to spend lots of time explaining why I felt I "needed" to own a gun. Turns out the general reaction is "Cool! Take me shooting some time!" :D Who knew were were all repressed gun-lovers?

I'm still pretty new myself, but once I get a little more experience under my belt I've got about half a dozen people who want me to take them out. Sounds like a fun afternoon!

I know that feeling.;) There are people I rather not know I own firearms because frankly I wouldn't want to get into the discussion about it with them. Not worth my time. But most people oh cool, some can I shoot it once.:)

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    One of the best times i ever had shooting was taking 2 couples from england. They had never even held a gun and couldn't believe that we could go behind the house set up some targets and start shooting. Made me proud of the freedom we have to do that in America.:patriot:

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm taking a buddy to Eagle Creek tomorrow. His uncle gave him a .22 rifle and I'm going to bring my Glock. Should be fun! I think he's shot a longgun once or twice before but no handguns.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I took both of my roommates for their first times. one is a lib and was worried that the bullets would explode as he was loading the magazine. They both did ok for their first times and made a point of keeping the firearm pointed downrange, which is hard when they got excited after hitting the paper!! The other one is in love and just got his LTCH, im so proud :D

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good job guys. I met some friends from work at the range today, and one had a little less experience, and was so enthusiastic. It was great to see someone get excited over sharing our "toys' and just fun for us all to shoot together.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Went to the range again today...had a horrible experience. Brought my roommate along, he's been with me a few times, so he knows the drills. It is a public range, and today was the first time I saw any unsafe behavior. There were three different groups of people there. My roommate and I, a man and his son, and another man and his two sons. The man with two sons was a complete maroon. His youngest had no business handling a firearm, considering his muzzle control. The man himself had no business being on the range as he walked downrange while others were shooting. I called the range cold and talked to him when he got back from checking his target. Gently requested that he make sure we are all done shooting before walking down, as I don't want any accidents to happen. What do I get? Attitude. Sure, I'm 20 years old and he likely has been shooting as long as I've been alive. That is NO excuse for unsafe gun handling. Needless to say he decided to come over to me shortly thereafter and criticize my handling of my handgun, saying I was holding it wrong. Which of course I wasn't. I think he just had to get his say in. He left after that and the other shooter and his son joined me in a sigh of relief.

Stay safe out there, and provide a good example to new shooters!

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I took both of my roommates for their first times. one is a lib and was worried that the bullets would explode as he was loading the magazine.

I was the same way the first time I tried loading the magazine for my .22! I was trying to jam the last few of those tiny little rounds in thinking "Holy crap I'm gonna blow my fingers off!" :laugh:

Top Bottom