• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nothing in the IN code requiring written notice. Fed law for handguns may.
    18 U.S.C. 922(x)
    (x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile
    (A)
    a handgun; or
    (B)
    ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
    (A)
    a handgun; or
    (B)
    ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3)This subsection does not apply to—
    (A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile
    (i)
    in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
    (ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wouldnt do it without a verbal OK from dad

Dad needs to be prepared for his boy bragging to mom about shooting guns. How will that effect everyone involved?

Smart idea would be to ready dad and mom, with solid reasons why it's a good thing to introduce the boy to guns and shooting in a safe controlled environment.

It might take a bit to soften all involved to come to an understanding. At the very least, communication to mom will avoid her finding out disturbing things from her son. Things that should have been discussed with his father.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dad said no, all fear she who must be obeyed. Wait 'till he's 18, gonna be another ammo shortage when we get done...

Sorry to hear that!

I don't know the age, but you likely have time to lobby. So does the boy.

At the same time, minds might change. A lot of leftist nuts might just be be reexamining their positions as inflation and crime set new records? Let alone social/education issues like child gender mixing, CRT and other woke issues become more exposed?

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I know water under the bridge but I don't understand why a MAN would marry such nut-job.
    My best like a brother friend's new wife made him sell all his firearms once she got pregnant.
    I told her she could bet her LIFE she'd be LOOOOONG gone a d**n sight faster than a round of my 300WSM exited the barrel if my wife EVER insisted I parted with a single round of ammo forget about a single firearm.
    My guns aren't just my hobby they are what defines me a free man.

Unfortunately you had better err on the side of caution because I'm bettering he will do what ever 'his Boss" tells him to do and you might end up seeing your GS much less often.
    My boys were shooting 22lr by age 6. AR's by 10 and 11.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Dad said no, all fear she who must be obeyed. Wait 'till he's 18, gonna be another ammo shortage when we get done...
    Another sad example of a man who's scrotum resides in a mason jar on HER side of HER bed in HER house.
    There will be free ice-cream and AC in hell before that ever happens to me.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I did not make an issue of it but before she became my wife I made sure there would be no problem with what was important. My dog, motorcycle and guns, no compromise on any of those. Worked out well, she has her own gun and LTC, bought me a S&W 337PD for our 10th wedding anaversity. Got two dogs and she had her own Sportster for about 5 years. Good choice, Jim.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    To the original question, it depends on the facility. Local indoor range hosted our 4H club one night, a Dad brought his son and nephew as was his standard practice. Nephew couldn't shoot because Uncle couldn't sign parental consent. It's all about liability. Probably the same liability and consent requirements applies to scholastic sports, Little League, etc.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I know water under the bridge but I don't understand why a MAN would marry such nut-job.
    My best like a brother friend's new wife made him sell all his firearms once she got pregnant.
    I told her she could bet her LIFE she'd be LOOOOONG gone a d**n sight faster than a round of my 300WSM exited the barrel if my wife EVER insisted I parted with a single round of ammo forget about a single firearm.
    My guns aren't just my hobby they are what defines me a free man.

Unfortunately you had better err on the side of caution because I'm bettering he will do what ever 'his Boss" tells him to do and you might end up seeing your GS much less often.
    My boys were shooting 22lr by age 6. AR's by 10 and 11.
    Aside from the vacuum between your ears, you need to get a good case of lock jaw, or inability to type.
    You make so many assumptions and self righteous judgments it’s nauseating.
    Shadap and stay in your lane, maybe go back to your dating site for nitwits.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Aside from the vacuum between your ears, you need to get a good case of lock jaw, or inability to type.
    Somebody got triggered...

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    His mom is leftist nut, dad pretty good. If i get dad's verbal permission, can I take grandson to range?
    I heard something about a law requiring written parental permission to take minor to range...?
    Shooting skills and safety can be learned by shooting air rifles and pistols just as well. Perhaps when you have the grandson you can set up a small range in the back yard or maybe a rural area where you can shoot nicer air rifle's or pistols. Some are good enough many use them for personal protection practice. Fun to shoot, cheaper than finding ammo. Accuracy and gun safety can still be learned, and it is not a "firearm". It also sounds better when the kid says "we shot bb guns". Heck they shot them at the carnival, why would it be any different. On this level, it might be easier to ask for forgiveness later than get permission now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Shooting skills and safety can be learned by shooting air rifles and pistols just as well. Perhaps when you have the grandson you can set up a small range in the back yard or maybe a rural area where you can shoot nicer air rifle's or pistols. Some are good enough many use them for personal protection practice. Fun to shoot, cheaper than finding ammo. Accuracy and gun safety can still be learned, and it is not a "firearm". It also sounds better when the kid says "we shot bb guns". Heck they shot them at the carnival, why would it be any different. On this level, it might be easier to ask for forgiveness later than get permission now.

I like this idea!

Also like using it as a foot in the door to set up positive communication between parents and grandparents.

I still would tactfully ask permission up front, with a solid explanation of the benefits.

Trying to sneak around parents wishes, or even get ahead of being told NO, is almost never a good idea.

Especially after the school's CRT debacle, that was only discovered by looking over kids shoulders in remote learning. We should learn that parents don't like surprises and will fight perceived poor intentions.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I'd reply in depth to your pointless diatribe, but I have learned NEVER to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Top Bottom