• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    His mom is leftist nut, dad pretty good. If i get dad's verbal permission, can I take grandson to range?
    I heard something about a law requiring written parental permission to take minor to range...?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Some RANGES may require legal guardianship, but as long as dad has parental authority at the time of the visit, you are good to go in the eyes of Indiana law.

May make for a sticky family situation, but that's only an LEO problem as far as society demands they be babysitters for people with poor social skills.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Do you ask to take your grandson out to eat, or to an amusement park, etc, etc?

If not I see no difference between doing one activity with him or another. If they don't like it they will tell you after the fact. All my children know me as well aa their spouses because they have shot firearms with me at least several times before they even married into the family. I'm just saying if she knows you are a gun enthusiast it should not be a surprise to her or your son if you did take him to a shooting range.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I used to live in Illinois and I do not remember any legal thing about your taking grandson shooting. Unless the divorce papers have some provision against it.
    Will you be shooting in Illinois or Indiana? That whole FOID card thing in Illinois could make it more complicated if an Indiana resident takes an underage Illinois resident shooting in Illinois. I see no problems if the shooting is done in Indiana, let us know which it is. The whole thing makes my head hurt just thinking about things like that. Did I mention how much I hate that state. Jim.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Some ranges require parental consent. I used to be a member at Linden CC and needed a form filled out to take my nephew. I think LCC kept that form on file for a year in case he went back with me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Legal or not, it might pay to be carefull kicking a hornets nest. Communication is key to avoid issues.

No one likes to think that they've been worked around. No one likes surprises.

You don't want to pull this off, only to find that you have made an enemy of the one who can dictate your visitation going forward?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

You don't want to pull this off, only to find that you have made an enemy of the one who can dictate your visitation going forward?

We have a granddaughter with Peanut Allergy that has required Epi-Pen in the past -- her other grandmother is Old School knows better- "a little taste won't hurt - it will build a tolerance " --- which is why the other grandmother is no longer allowed unsupervised time

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Legal or not, it might pay to be carefull kicking a hornets nest. Communication is key to avoid issues.

No one likes to think that they've been worked around. No one likes surprises.

This for sure.

Taking the grandson to the range is completely legal, but the repercussions may be a lot more than one wants to deal with. I used to deal with this kind of thing all the time and it can get ridiculously ugly pretty fast.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My youngest son, and wife just had my youngest Grandson. He's already thinking about teaching him how to shoot. Wanted to know if he could use the Davy Cricket to teach him with the same one I taught him with. I'm so glad so far I don't have to deal with this issue.

Top Bottom